Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who do you prefer? Lennon vs McCartney

Who do you prefer? Lennon vs McCartney
Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2005, 03:17 PM

http://www.thisislondon.com/music/ar...ly%20Mail&ct=5

'I'll tell you a story about John,' she told the audience. 'He often used to wake up in the middle of the night and ask me, "Why do people cover Paul's songs so much, but never mine?"

'I used to tell him, "It's because you are a talented songwriter. You don't just rhyme June with spoon. And you are a very good singer - lots of people would be too afraid to cover one of your songs.

'Then I would make him a cup of tea, and he would be okay. I just miss that sort of moment that we had.'

I think they are both awesome.

However, I like Paul McCartney better in the Beatles and John Lennon better solo. IMO, they both were best IN the Beatles.

If I had my choice, I think Paul is the better musician.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2005, 03:28 PM

I choose Paul, because he didn't get involved with Yoko.

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2005, 03:34 PM

John, without a doubt!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2005, 03:41 PM

I can't believe that this debate has even started. To decide who is a better song writer and then compare the songs is nonsense. One is no better or worse than the other; they are different. The best way to highlight this is the song A Day in the Life. Both parts of the song (independently written) are effectively a nonsense, but combined make a wonderful song. The real debate is why isn't George Harrison considered to be on the same level as Lennon and McCartney when he wrote such beautiful songs such as Something and Here comes the Sun?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2005, 04:04 PM

Pluth won !

-t

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2005, 04:07 PM

Neither one was able to capture alone the magic that they created together. Even the stuff toward the end of The Beatles, when they where basically working apart, is better in my opinion than almost anything they released as solo acts.
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2005, 04:35 PM

Pluth won !

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2005, 04:44 PM

And double post ! Aaaarg.

-t

brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2005, 04:45 PM

Lennon and McCartney

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2005, 04:49 PM

John without question, then George, then Paul. Don't forget George. Paul never had any solo work as good as George's All Things Must Pass.

John had loads and loads of excellent pop hits. John was also edgier, wittier and more humorous. But he died and Paul's been doing Long and Winding Road and Yesterday in concerts for 20 years since...

John also had the best of Paul in their feud with that song How Do You Sleep?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2005, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
The real debate is why isn't George Harrison considered to be on the same level as Lennon and McCartney when he wrote such beautiful songs such as Something and Here comes the Sun?
Because of I've Got My Mind Stuck On You

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2005, 05:16 PM

they were best when paired with george and ringo but individually I would have to say I prefer john.

Apple Pro Underwear  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2005, 05:20 PM

George's output was good but not very prolific. If you have 2 or 3 hit songs, you're talking about MC Hammer having more of a impact as a solo artist.

For the purposes of this thread, just state who you prefer overall. Don't think too hard.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2005, 05:21 PM

The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear
...something about MC Hammer having more of a impact as a solo artist...Don't think too hard.
okey dokey

Rolling Bones
Banned
Oct 11, 2005, 06:27 PM

McCartney has always written silly love songs and bubble gum music. In other words he suxxors.

I think Lennon was better but together they were great.

And don't forget George.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2005, 06:41 PM

The real debate is why isn't George Harrison considered to be on the same level as Lennon and McCartney when he wrote such beautiful songs such as Something and Here comes the Sun?
Is that a joke? I can only name 7 Harrison-penned Beatles songs that I'd consider to stand out in any way ("Think for Yourself," "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "Taxman," "If I Needed Someone," "I Need You," and the two you mentioned). There is no way he could compete with the output of John and Paul.

My two favorite Beatles songs were written by John ("Don't Let Me Down" and "Norwegian Wood"). However, I slightly prefer Paul.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2005, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
McCartney has always written silly love songs and bubble gum music.
"Eleanor Rigby"

Apple Pro Underwear  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2005, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
McCartney has always written silly love songs and bubble gum music. In other words he suxxors.
that kind of describes a lot of the Beatles catalogue and all of early rock and roll.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
I can only name 7 Harrison-penned Beatles songs that I'd consider to stand out in any way
I believe George Harrison was the great songwriting talent in the Beatles. Certainly Lennon and McCartney had talent, but Harrison had to graft to master the craft of songwriting. Witness his book I Me Mine , where you will see progress through the years. That was great talent: taking the raw materials and creating beauty. Something the greatest love song ever written? Mr Sinatra thought so.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 11, 2005, 08:57 PM

I like Harrison and Ringo better than either.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 11, 2005, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear
that kind of describes a lot of the Beatles catalogue and all of early rock and roll.
Early beatles stuff maybe, but not after they started doing drugs heavily. Then it got pretty interesting.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2005, 10:11 PM

I believe George Harrison was the great songwriting talent in the Beatles. Certainly Lennon and McCartney had talent, but Harrison had to graft to master the craft of songwriting. Witness his book I Me Mine , where you will see progress through the years. That was great talent: taking the raw materials and creating beauty.
You're honestly telling me that you think George Harrison was the best songwriter of the Beatles? Are you a Beatles fan? I can totally see liking him, but calling him the best songwriter? You must've heard some extra-secret Harrison tracks that I'm clearly missing. Maybe you hate every album except Abbey Road? Then it would make perfect sense...

Something the greatest love song ever written? Mr Sinatra thought so.
"Something" is an excellent song, but I wouldn't call it the greatest love song ever written (or even the greatest love song written by the Beatles). Anyway, I don't see how his few fantastic songs make up for the times where he contributed the dullest tracks to their albums (SPLHCB, MMT, Revolver...).

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2005, 10:14 PM

mmm.... Paul.

Loupu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2008, 07:34 PM

let's solve this.
Lennon's best work: I'm only sleeping, Help, Across the Universe, In my life. Because is too megalomanic and Revolution too comforting.
McCartney's: Eleanor Rigby, Blackbird, Martha My dear, Helter Skelter. Yesterday too revelatory and Paperback Writer too deep.
So let's just say that George Martin has spent his postbeatle decades trying to reput Paul's career back to penny lane and for no one.
While lennon has become a millionaire entertainer and a-very-confused-ideologist.

So I go for the unseen Paul - style! Something Lennon might have had if he wasn't so much obsessed with the emblematic figure he tried to become.
But I still like Hey Bulldog's You can talk to meee...You can taaalk to meeeh

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2008, 07:44 PM

Actually, if it wasn't really of *that* much interest THREE YEARS AGO, it probably isn't, now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules