Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Barry Bonds Steroid Use

View Poll Results: Did Barry Bonds knowingly used steroids?
Poll Options:
Yes, he knew that he was using banned products. 52 votes (88.14%)
NO, he accidently used steroids. 7 votes (11.86%)
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll
Barry Bonds Steroid Use (Page 2)
donniedarko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2004, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by kcmac:
Exactly itai.

I find the Olympics stuff to be the craziest of all.

Growing up, we saw the East German women swimmers enter events with bigger frames than most of our NFL players.

Remember the Chinese runners that said they were using some kind of special soup derived from an ostrich or some other kind of bird?

Athletes get busted all of the time in the Olympics but those that stand next in line to get the medal once it has been forfeited are obviously just as big and ripped as the person that got caught.

It is obvious that the designer drug industry is filled with brilliant people believing that they are only helping the athlete keep up with the competition. This industry is getting more advanced every day.

Sure, America could stop but what about the others? Do you really want our athletes to do away with this practice and then watch the others scoop up all of the medals?

Not me.

It is unfortunate that these people will most likely suffer great side effects and possibly shorten their time on this planet. But it is their choice, that they have made at a time of their lives that they deemed important to excel and win at their specialty.
all this talk about olympic athletes using steriods reminds me of rocky 4...............

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2004, 11:34 PM

it barry is suspended, it would be a great loss to baseball. He might have taken steroids, but as others have said, that doesn't help him hit the ball. If he is suspended, it will prevent a very exciting moment in baseball history: career HR 756. Also, they will be banning one of the greatest hitters AND fielders of all time.

just somethin to think about....

SuperNova

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2004, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by Super Nova:
career HR 756*.
* Used steroids during the '03-?? season(s)

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2004, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by ManOfSteal:
* Used steroids during the '03-?? season(s)
true, but mark mcguire used performance-enhancing drugs when he hit 72, and he still has those as career stats, so I'm considering 03-?? to be included in career stats

SuperNova

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2004, 12:26 AM

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2004, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
ahhh, good ole' cartman.....

SuperNova

kupan787
Senior User
Dec 7, 2004, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Fiend:
Why do you think he is off them now? Just because the questions asked where about the '03 season, which he and others answered, doesn't mean before or after that time he wasn't using them or stopped. He only answered the questions that were asked of him. Giambi shrunk cause the effects caught up to him and he knew it. While they may never prove that his cancer or whatever they found was related to steriods, you can bet that it scared the **** out of him and in order to keep playing/make money, he had to stop. Nothing has happened to Bonds yet, at least that we have heard, that would make him want to stop.
Giambii stopped before this last season even started, before his illness. He came into training camp looking visibly smaller than just a few months prior, it was all over Sports Center, PTI, Around the Horn, (enter your sports news source here). I would bet that Bonds stopped at the same time as Giambii, which just so happened to be around the time that Balco was getting investigated. I seriously doubt they stopped because anything bad was happening physically, but more likely because the supply was being cut off. Also, Bonds would have to be a complete moron to still be taking steroids at this point, while being investigated. He has stopped. He has said as much, and I doubt he would full on lie to the grand jury.

Apple Pro Underwear  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2004, 01:30 PM

true, but mark mcguire used performance-enhancing drugs when he hit 72, and he still has those as career stats, so I'm considering 03-?? to be included in career stats

SuperNova
at the time, they were legal.

which makes the MLB to blame. NOT Mark McGuire. (the drug (synthetic testosterone) he used was not banned for all 4 major sports at that time. the olympics banned it though.)

barry on the other hand knew about it. they banned MM's supplements and criticsized Mcguire, so no excuses for BB

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2004, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by kupan787:
I agree he took steroids, during the 03 season. But you are trying to claim he has taken them for 5+ years. I call ********. Look at his body now, off steroids. How is he still so big, yet Giambii has shrunk up VISIBLY. You never answer this, just keep avoiding it...

maybe he's just overweight!

maybe he payed somebody off (he is afterall the "best in the game" right now)

maybe MLB is covering for him because he means so much to the integrity after he broke all those records

i think he was using steroids immediately after his numbers went up after years and years of consistency. no way a man in the MLB for 15 years can just turn a switch to become the "best ever".

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
at the time, they were legal.

which makes the MLB to blame. NOT Mark McGuire. (the drug (synthetic testosterone) he used was not banned for all 4 major sports at that time. the olympics banned it though.)

barry on the other hand knew about it. they banned MM's supplements and criticsized Mcguire, so no excuses for BB
MLB didn't ban THG until just before the 2004 season.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2004, 09:39 PM

There is rampant use of these kind of drugs in sports. So there just isn't anyway that he could have not known.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2004, 12:21 AM

it barry is suspended, it would be a great loss to baseball. He might have taken steroids, but as others have said, that doesn't help him hit the ball. If he is suspended, it will prevent a very exciting moment in baseball history: career HR 756. Also, they will be banning one of the greatest hitters AND fielders of all time.

just somethin to think about....

SuperNova
please stop defending barry bonds, if steroids didn't help him hit the ball, it certainly help him recover much faster after game, when you have to consider his age. Barry Bonds had never hit more than 49 homers before breaking Mark McGwire's record. On the other hand, Mark McGwire had been consistent though out his career.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 01:58 AM

you guys are on BB's back cause you guys arent from san francisco

i on the other hand love the guy's ability to make contact with the ball (not neccesarily the power or strength from steroids) but more from his ability to judge pitches.

then again .. i defend him because i AM from san francisco..

we all have our bias' ... who says one supplement is any better than another?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 03:05 AM

Barry Bonds has consistently been one of the best players in baseball. The proverbial complete package: hit for average, hit some dingers, good around the bags, quality outfielder. I would suspect that the juice only improved one of those areas: home runs. It didn't improve his ability to hit and field one bit. That being said, when Bonds breaks hank Aaron's record, it will be an absolute sham. Unless baseball addresses this issue fully before that happens, baseball is going to once again become a farce.

Many people seem to be over looking Sammy Sosa here. Lots of talk about McGuire, Giambii, Bonds. Not much talk about Sammy. When Sammy reached the Cubs he was the complete package as well: complete crap. Face it, if the pitcher rolled the ball towards the plate, Sammy'd swing at it 5 times. He was horrible. And as ineffective as he was with the lumber, he was worse in the outfield. He turned run of the mill pop outs into complete adventures. And his skills have not improved, but his home run production sure has. Sammy goes from a skinny crappy outfielder, to a bulked up crappy outfielder who (if he should happen to get a hit) crushes the ball. Yup, the Sammy Sosa who vehemently denied steriod use and said "I'll take a test antime you want because I've got nothing to hide", but when the reporter had the nerve to suggest that Sammy do it that day Sammy light him up with a nice little temper tantrum.

At least Bonds has some skills, and is just augmented by the juice. Sammy was created by the juice.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2004, 07:46 AM

yeah i agree about Sammy

he is like Mr.Steroid. Unlike Bonds, this guy is DUMB enough and doesn't care enough about the game to not cheat.

He is so dumb for corking it's not even funny.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2004, 08:56 AM

Mark McGwire.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by ManOfSteal:
Mark McGwire.
Rev-O is sorry for spelling Big Mac's name incorrectly ManOfSteal.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2004, 02:17 PM

I kinda thought Jose Canseco started all of this.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2004, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
I kinda thought Jose Canseco started all of this.
No, that was his twin...Ozzie.

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2004, 03:07 PM

Might as well reach way back and mention Lyle Alzado, but that's not even the same sport. Speaking of which, how come there isn't a focus on football players using steroids so much anymore?
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
Might as well reach way back and mention Lyle Alzado, but that's not even the same sport. Speaking of which, how come there isn't a focus on football players using steroids so much anymore?
I think two players from the Miami Dolphins were punted out.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 05:13 PM

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 05:19 PM

What a fraud. And people think that Bonds is greater than Rickey....pathetic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules