Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Johnny Cash: Walk the Line (Movie)

Johnny Cash: Walk the Line (Movie)
Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2005, 11:59 PM

I thought it was great. It focused on the important parts of his life rather than his career and I thought Phoenix did a great job. I am no Cash expert but as far as I was concerned, he transformed into him for the 2 and a half hours I was in the theater. I thought Reese Witherspoon did a good job as well. She was not annoying like in her "ditzy blond" roles.

The movie doesn't not take you through his entire life, just to a certain time and I think that was a good idea. The guest appearances by other "stars" of his time were nice too. Orbison, Jerry Lee and the rest were cool. I would have liked to see a Buddy Holly but I think he was a different time frame.

The movie does not make Johnny Cash look like some sort of angel or anything either. He is what he is and they did not hide it. I also want to mention there are several nice scenes that capture this too.

I am positive Phoenix and Reese sung those songs because I know the real Johnny Cash and June Carter sung them better. Can somebody confirm if it was indeed them or voice overs?

hickey
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 12:01 AM

my dad is kind of a cash expert, like most men in their 50's and such. He really enjoyed, aside for the little romance part of the script, but overall a top knotch film in his regards.

Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 12:30 AM

***'s

Ham Sandwich
Dec 1, 2005, 07:26 AM

From everything I've heard, those are the actors singing. That's what probably impressed me the most about the movie. I thought the entire movie was fine but the middle was way too long - if that makes any sense. It seemed like every 15 minutes, "Oh look, he's on drugs again" and they repeated that over and over until Folsom. The most suprising thing about the movie for me was that I didn't want to kill Reese Witherspoon by the end like I have in every other thing I've seen her in.

hickey
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit
I didn't want to kill Reese Witherspoon by the end like I have in every other thing I've seen her in.
Amen to that

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2005, 12:22 PM

So this has actor's singing, like The Doors? Interesting.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear
I am positive Phoenix and Reese sung those songs because I know the real Johnny Cash and June Carter sung them better. Can somebody confirm if it was indeed them or voice overs?
Yes, both Phoenix and Reese sang their own stuff in the movie. I actually prefer when actors do that as long as they can pull it off, which I think they did. Lip syncing really throws off the believability of the characters.

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2005, 02:19 PM

Awesome!! I was hoping that this would be a decent movie. From what little i know this guy, Cash, made a good name for himself. And of course he gets a little more love from me cause he did an awesome remix of the song Hurt.

I would watch this movie now over that rapper movie that came out this holiday season.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 03:05 PM

i may check this one - if not for sure on dvd

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Apple Pro Underwear  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
Yes, both Phoenix and Reese sang their own stuff in the movie. I actually prefer when actors do that as long as they can pull it off, which I think they did. Lip syncing really throws off the believability of the characters.

i want to also say, that johnny cash and june carter sang them better... well, because they are johnny cash and june carter — phoenix and witherspoon did a quality vocal performance, so i'm not taking anything away from them

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 04:11 PM

Johnny Cash was a great singer and songwriter. Miss him.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Forum Links
Forum Rules