Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Mission Accomplished!

Mission Accomplished! (Page 2)
Powerbook
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2007, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Timo View Post
I'm reminded of Rumsfeld's "it'll all be over in six months" speech. Everybody was swigging the kool-aid.
No Shiats. Another one for the history books: "They are dancing in the streets.", by the same goon.
I read an interview series with some Iraqi Joe Schmoes the other day, one guy - who toppled the (in)famous Saddam statue, said even he wanted Saddam back: "Better have the devil you know, than the devil you don't know".

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Mar 21, 2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post
No Shiats. Another one for the history books: "They are dancing in the streets.", by the same goon.
I read an interview series with some Iraqi Joe Schmoes the other day, one guy - who toppled the (in)famous Saddam statue, said even he wanted Saddam back: "Better have the devil you know, than the devil you don't know".

PB.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1530762.ece

MOST Iraqis believe life is better for them now than it was under Saddam Hussein, according to a British opinion poll published today.

The survey of more than 5,000 Iraqis found the majority optimistic despite their suffering in sectarian violence since the American-led invasion four years ago this week.

One in four Iraqis has had a family member murdered, says the poll by Opinion Research Business. In Baghdad, the capital, one in four has had a relative kidnapped and one in three said members of their family had fled abroad. But when asked whether they preferred life under Saddam, the dictator who was executed last December, or under Nouri al-Maliki, the prime minister, most replied that things were better for them today.

Only 27% think there is a civil war in Iraq, compared with 61% who do not, according to the survey carried out last month.

By a majority of two to one, Iraqis believe military operations now under way will disarm all militias. More than half say security will improve after a withdrawal of multinational forces.

Margaret Beckett, the foreign secretary, said the findings pointed to progress. “There is no widespread violence in the four southern provinces and the fact that the picture is more complex than the stereotype usually portrayed is reflected in today’s poll,” she said.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2007, 12:23 PM

Things are better all of a sudden, yay!

Mission Accomplished!

It's to bad major combat operations in Iraq ended when he gave that speech on the Aircraft carrier, I wonder why the troop surge was needed.

Sorry Kev, I forgot you don't pay attention to any other part of that speech besides the excerpt that supports your conclusions.

Warren Pease
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2007, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1530762.ece

MOST Iraqis believe life is better for them now than it was under Saddam Hussein, according to a British opinion poll published today.
Yet within that time (post-"Mission Accomplished"), Iraqi's see their lives as getting worse, wrt to many aspects of their lives.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/graphic...oll1/flash.htm

(Click on the menu top right of page for other data from the poll)

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Bush never announced "Mission Accomplished" And how could have it been premature? Saddam didn't get back in power after it was announced did he?

Only if it wasn't valid. Like your rant above.
Hey, if a big banner that says "Mission Accomplished" is not an announcement, I don't know what is.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2007, 01:34 PM

It wasn't an announcement, the three sentences that Kevin posted were the ONLY announcement.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 01:36 PM

My two cents:

None of this really matters anyway. There is plenty of evidence that supports the fact that the Bush administration completely underestimated the ramifications of their invasion. The proof is in Cheney saying that we will be greeted as liberators, in Rumsfeld saying that he doubts that this would last more than 6 months, in the number of troops allocated, etc. It seems that the Bush administration itself is acknowledging these sorts of mistakes.

If you want to bicker about Mission Accomplished, fine, but there is plenty of evidence which supports the larger issue here. Save your energy!

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 01:45 PM

More and more dead horse beating. Exactly what I was talking about when this was brought up before.

Mission Accomplished has never meant, and didn't mean in this case either, "War Over". Yet every single "argument" over it tries to paint it as that. Pathetic.

Just get over it, and move on already.

This is as useless as the whole "Bush stole the Election" or "Bush didn't do anything for 7 minutes" type nonsense that the self same set of usual suspects can beat a dead horse over for 5 or 6 pages as well.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Just get over it, and move on already.
Maybe you need to take your own advice there cha-chi.

Telling everyone to move on while simultaneously saying you're right and they're wrong smacks of irony.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 01:54 PM

Yet you saw fit to add more to the conversation. Oh, the irony.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 01:56 PM

I've posted once, you two have been going on about this useless **** for days.

Irony, indeed.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 02:13 PM

Announcement

announcement - Definitions from Dictionary.com

A big freaking banner that says "Mission Accomplished" is an announcement.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 02:14 PM

I remember it being noted that administration officials advised Bush against use of the banner. I can't imagine why...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
I've posted once, you two have been going on about this useless **** for days.

Irony, indeed.
I assume you mean karl and I, Kevin was the one who started an extra thread about it so why don't you take it up with him?

I forgot, you guys are all in the "Smackdown!" club, therefore you can do no wrong.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I assume you mean karl and I, Kevin was the one who started an extra thread about it so why don't you take it up with him?
I don't see Kevin trying to argue that Mission Accomplished somehow means War Over. Why don't you brush up on your own logic (or lack thereof) before going off about someone else?

I forgot, you guys are all in the "Smackdown!" club, therefore you can do no wrong.
Sounds like someone is bitter for being "smacked down" over and over. Perhaps if you'd find something other than the same damn useless crap to rehash over and over again? Now, please get back to your usual dead horse beating about some crap from 3 or 4 years ago.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2007, 04:55 PM

I don't believe I've ever officially been smacked down since I barely post in here, usually due to all the macho smackdown partisan garbage.

I never once said that "Mission Accomplished means War Over" you can check my posts if you like.

tie
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2007, 07:32 PM

Crash, I think you missed that Kevin is the one who started the thread. Oops.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Mar 23, 2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Things are better all of a sudden, yay!
All of a sudden? No
It's to bad major combat operations in Iraq ended when he gave that speech on the Aircraft carrier, I wonder why the troop surge was needed.
Do you know what major combat operations means sek? You seem to have a different idea as to what that means than the President did when he said that. Esp since he did say there was still dangerous work to be done.
Sorry Kev, I forgot you don't pay attention to any other part of that speech besides the excerpt that supports your conclusions.
Um, I surely did not. But say I did. Please point out to said parts that go against what I Bush claimed?

Not that that is relevent sek. That excerpt proves my point.

I come back here days later... still the same spin.

Nothing new, no added facts, nada.

You guys disappoint me.

(edit)

10 or so days later and still nothing.

But 2 months from now someone will again post some idiotic statement about "mission accomplished" and claim I was "smacked down"

I'll keep this thread on "watch" so I can come back to it later.
( Last edited by Kevin; Apr 3, 2007 at 07:18 AM. )

Flashbang
Baninated
Mar 24, 2007, 08:33 PM

We backed Saddam so he would stop the Ayatollah.

Saddam turned rogue, threatened Israel, turned on us.

He had to go and until he was out of power he was a threat.

We invaded and hoped we could get him out of power before he did something really stupid.

We held our breathe until our Armys got to Bagdad and he was nuetralized.

We captured the government and Saddam scooted.

Mission Accomplished.

Forum Links
Forum Rules