Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Firmware 2.1 out

Firmware 2.1 out (Page 3)
CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I have the same issue. Phone needs to be fully on for me to receive anything.
I haven't noticed this exactly; however, the iPhone has never done a superb job of pushing through e-mails reliably in either MobileMe or Exchange. Exchange tends to be a bit more reliable, but still.... sometimes (about once or twice a day!) it quits receiving e-mails until I manually check it once... then it remembers again. Odd.

Windows Mobile does the same thing - just not as often.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2008, 12:21 PM

This happens once or twice a week to me.

I read somewhere recently (might have been MacNN) that an Apple Genius recommended turing off an iPhone for at least 40 seconds every 24 hours. If I remember to do that, the iPhone seems much better at getting pushed messages.

QS

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2008, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the hint. I wonder what difference that makes. Oh well, so long as it helps...
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by CorpITGuy View Post
Thanks for the hint. I wonder what difference that makes. Oh well, so long as it helps...
It probably does the same thing that rebooting a Windows computer once or twice a week does.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2008, 02:45 PM

I'll try the fresh reboot method.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by QSilver View Post
This happens once or twice a week to me.

I read somewhere recently (might have been MacNN) that an Apple Genius recommended turing off an iPhone for at least 40 seconds every 24 hours. If I remember to do that, the iPhone seems much better at getting pushed messages.

QS
Actually, I was at the Genuis bar myself a few days ago and this was also suggested. I turn off the phone every night and it seems to be more stable in general.

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2008, 11:14 PM

I brought mine to genius bar along with my MBP and it now flawlessly. It back ups faster and way lot faster, Good job apple!!!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2008, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by maxx9photo View Post
I brought mine to genius bar along with my MBP and it now flawlessly. It back ups faster and way lot faster, Good job apple!!!
What, just being near a Genius bar made it work better? Or did the Genius bar do something that the software wasn't capable of? In which case, good job Genius bar-guy, bad job Apple software development.

Forum Links
Forum Rules