Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Rock Band PS3 - Left-handed Guitars

Rock Band PS3 - Left-handed Guitars
msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2011, 06:10 AM

Does anybody sell a true left-handed guitar for the PS3 Rock Band games? I would love to get Rock Band The Beatles but there seems to be no left-handed guitars available. Flipping a right-handed guitar over is not the same as a guitar designed for left-handers.
( Last edited by msuper69; Jan 12, 2011 at 06:10 AM. Reason: darn cat stepped on my keyboard while I was composing this message)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2011, 10:18 AM

A quick perusal of amazon doesn't seem reassuring.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
A quick perusal of amazon doesn't seem reassuring.
Yes. The guitars that say theyt work either left or right handed expect one to flip the guitar over. I call that a fail.

I've googled and can't find anything so I expect I'm SOL.

Damn it can be tough to be left-handed sometimes.

What gets me is that if the designers/engineers of these guitars would have put just a little bit of effort into it, they could have made them easily convertible to left-handed. But NOOO, that would be too much extra work.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2011, 10:39 AM

I think the issue is more of a niche product in an already niche genre.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2011, 10:41 AM

I think the issue is more of a niche product in an already niche genre.
Yes. We compose about 8-15% of the world's population.

Ironic though that Paul is left-handed.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2011, 01:27 PM

I'm left-handed and played Rock Band 2 with the normal guitar flipped over. Honestly, since it's just a strum bar and buttons as opposed to a real guitar set-up, I don't understand your complaint. It's identical either way. The game has software settings that let you tell it if you are using the guitar left-handed or right-handed. IIRC there was even a clasp for the strap on both sides.

I have no experience with the new "pro" guitar for Rock Band 3, so maybe now it's different.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2011, 01:28 PM

Wammy bar is misplaced and the d-pad would be a complete mind-**** to use, off the top of my head.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2011, 01:38 PM

Ah, forgot about the whammy bar. Yeah, sort of awkward. I never used the d-pad, really. I was terrible at that game.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I'm left-handed and played Rock Band 2 with the normal guitar flipped over. Honestly, since it's just a strum bar and buttons as opposed to a real guitar set-up, I don't understand your complaint. It's identical either way. The game has software settings that let you tell it if you are using the guitar left-handed or right-handed. IIRC there was even a clasp for the strap on both sides.

I have no experience with the new "pro" guitar for Rock Band 3, so maybe now it's different.
I've always had a thing for being forced to use anything designed for right-handed people. Like having a new PC set up at work and always finding the mouse on the right side. Or going to the grocery store and trying to sign the credit card transaction when the stylus is on the right hand side. (The new Giant Eagle MarketPlace here in Columbus has new credit card terminals and the stylus is on the left side! Must have been designed by a lefty.)

It's just the way I'm put together. I don't like it when people just assume you're right-handed and don't bother to ask.

In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal and I've learned to live with it.

I sure would like to find a lefty guitar for Rock Band though.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2011, 02:57 PM

Inferiority complex!

I've always wondered why they don't offer left-handed controllers. I assume the joystick and face buttons are where they are because it appeals to the right-handed mind.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2011, 03:03 PM

Inferiority complex!

I've always wondered why they don't offer left-handed controllers. I assume the joystick and face buttons are where they are because it appeals to the right-handed mind.
Au contraire! If anything, I suffer from a superiority complex.

The PS3 controllers are handedness agnostic. But yeah, I can recall joystick type controllers which were molded for the right hand. Bah!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
The PS3 controllers are handedness agnostic. But yeah, I can recall joystick type controllers which were molded for the right hand. Bah!
How so? All the face buttons are still on the right side.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2011, 03:10 PM

How so? All the face buttons are still on the right side.
True dat. But the controller is held in both hands so it's a little different scenario than using a joystick or other things meant to be used in one hand. And the directional arrows are on the left.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
And the directional arrows are on the left.
That's equally rightist.

ibook_steve
Jan 12, 2011, 03:41 PM

Interesting topic.

Recall that the original Atari joystick (and any joystick I attached to my old Commodore 64) was strictly right-handed. Your right hand controlled the seemingly more complex task of moving the stick while your left thumb handled the single button. Obviously back then, there were no options in games for rotating 90 degrees to play left-handed (or were there?).

Then Nintendo came out with the arcade Donkey Kong. Joystick on the left and jump button on the right. At first, I remember that being really weird being right-handed. I even remember players (who I assumed were right-handed but could have been left-handed) crossing their arms to play DK. But I got used to using my left hand for control.

Then the NES and next wave of home consoles came out and control was always on the left, but it didn't feel weird because I was used to left-hand control by that time.

I can't imagine what life must be like for a lefty: mice and Guitar Hero controllers alike are usually all for righties.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I can't imagine what life must be like for a lefty: mice and Guitar Hero controllers alike are usually all for righties.

Steve
Weird tangent, but I drive stick and am also unusually right handed, and I'm really curious what would happen if I (tried) to drive a car with the driver's seat on the right side.

Forum Links
Forum Rules