Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So so disturbing (A pic caption/comment thread)

So so disturbing (A pic caption/comment thread)
iM@k
Senior User
Nov 11, 2007, 07:28 PM

A friend of mine was looking through a scrap book of his parents, and came across this post card (According to the caption with it, it was bought at the Howard Johnson's in time square in 1980).

At first it seemed innocent enough, then upon further review I realized how many things were wrong with it, and I quickly realized I was looking at my therapy bills sky rocketing.

So...how many things wrong do you see in this picture (Here's a hint, I'm not sure there are actually any females in this picture!).

What, me worry?

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Nov 11, 2007, 07:33 PM

wow...just wow lol.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2007, 07:38 PM

Times Square in the '80s did not look like that...

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2007, 07:53 PM

That little boy is probably in a group therapy session as we are reading this. Just wow.

mindwaves
Nov 11, 2007, 07:57 PM

Improper shadows and the boy is sitting on his dad's lap without any support (like a bench underneath)?

FireWire
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
the boy is sitting on his dad's lap without any support (like a bench underneath)?
Beside the fact that the mother looks like a transvestite and the little girl looks like a trisomic, my first reaction was to think that the father's knee will probably need some medical attention if he keeps doing that

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2007, 10:03 PM

The little boy is actually a sophisticated Ventriloquism dummy. No person would intentionally dress their child as such.
I stayed at the Howard Johnson outside Time square back in 97. Nice place... No transvestites that I remember.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2007, 10:18 PM

I see nothing that suggests that the boy or anybody is doing anything wrong or disturbing.

I used to wear care bear sweat pants imported from China in kindergarten to my dismay, is it any worse than that crap he has on?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 11, 2007, 11:04 PM

The picture looks doctored. Not just the shadows, but the combination of the facade and the clothing-it's just not right. Yes, people DID wear clothes like that, and maybe as late as 1980. But the woman's suit is more like a 1972 vintage, and by 1980 I don't think any girl out of diapers wore that sort of "Shirley Temple" pinafore. The mechanics or the little boy sitting on the man's knee do work-he's not that big. But then there are those "wrong" shadows. And though I've never been to Times Square, that building doesn't look like architecture you'd see in 1980. In the 1950s as a "flagship" "modern" location, or maybe in the mid 1990s, but architecture in 1980 was so... square.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Railroader
Banned
Nov 11, 2007, 11:26 PM

I used to own a pair of pants EXACTLY like that kid's when I was about his age. That was back in the mid-70's as ghporter suggests. I wish I still had those pants so I could make my kids wear them like my parents made me wear them.

The shadows don't look wrong to me. Perhaps the front of the building has a covered car-port and the family is just out from under it.

iM@k  (op)
Senior User
Nov 11, 2007, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The picture looks doctored. Not just the shadows, but the combination of the facade and the clothing-it's just not right. Yes, people DID wear clothes like that, and maybe as late as 1980. But the woman's suit is more like a 1972 vintage, and by 1980 I don't think any girl out of diapers wore that sort of "Shirley Temple" pinafore. The mechanics or the little boy sitting on the man's knee do work-he's not that big. But then there are those "wrong" shadows. And though I've never been to Times Square, that building doesn't look like architecture you'd see in 1980. In the 1950s as a "flagship" "modern" location, or maybe in the mid 1990s, but architecture in 1980 was so... square.
Allow me to clarify, this post card has a copyright of 1969, which is when I assume the actual picture was taken. Sorry to disappoint, it's not PS'd. (1980 was the year the post card was PURCHASED)

Yes I realize fashion was "different" back then, but this is the worst I'd ever seen it.

Further more, what the hell could the "dad" be showing/saying to the boy while shoving his knee it the boys crotch that would cause the boy to have that expression on his face!
What, me worry?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2007, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
But then there are those "wrong" shadows.
The sun is 3/4 behind the guy's right side, or 3/4 in front of the, uh... "gal's" right side, since she's standing perpendicular to the guy.

There's something flagging the sun off of everything behind them, including the building. In fact, the sun is only really hitting the concrete in front of them, the pantsuit (which is dark), a sliver of her face and 3/4 behind everyone's head. Everything else is bounce light. There's probably a white card out of frame to even everything out, but the light is too diffuse for you to see the shadow.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2007, 04:52 AM

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2007, 08:08 AM

^ I love that cartoon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules