Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What currencies do you think are safe?

What currencies do you think are safe?
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2009, 01:41 AM

What currencies do you think are safe from inflation for the next 5-10 years? I ask this because I have been reading some very disconcerting figures:

The US money supply has increased by approx. 270% in the past 5 months.

The Bank of England has literally "printed" £75bn of new money to cover budget costs.

I keep a good deal of my modest savings in the form of US dollars and sterling. But I am expecting significant inflationary pressure and attendant devaluation of these currencies in the next two years (just a hunch).

Where would you put your money? The only currency I am considering at the moment is the Swiss franc.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2009, 01:46 AM

Yeah, the Swiss Franc is what I would recommend being in, aside from gold.

Source for those stats? I want to be able to back up the statements.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Mar 8, 2009 at 01:52 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2009, 01:52 AM

Screw currency, get gold and platinum. Even the Swiss Franc is going to take a beating.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2009, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
What currencies do you think are safe from inflation for the next 5-10 years?
None.

Where would you put your money?
Somewhere safe where you aren't going to lose, like CDs or bonds. Even though inflation can erode the value of bonds, with today's economy I'd rather have something with a steady return even if it is small.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2009, 02:43 AM

Listening to so many world leaders and economists talk about bail outs and stuff got me pretty worried as well. It did sound like they were just 'printing more money' hoping it would 'solve' the problem, which imo is such a terrible idea (devaluation, leading to higher priced imports, and the downward spiral, etc).

From a historical standpoint (to the best of my knowledge), countries that have done this were worse off after 'printing more money', right ?

I know the Euro has taken a hit as well. what are it's prospects ? But yeah, gold is probably the best bet with this level of uncertainty.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2009, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by waxcrash View Post
Somewhere safe where you aren't going to lose, like CDs or bonds. Even though inflation can erode the value of bonds, with today's economy I'd rather have something with a steady return even if it is small.
Those are still dollar denominated and mostly fixed income assets. They will not protect you from the rampant inflation we're expecting.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Mar 8, 2009 at 02:57 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2009, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Yeah, the Swiss Franc is what I would recommend being in, aside from gold.

My source for the Bank of England story is this: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5854896.ece

My source for the money supply stat is from http://thehill.com/ (a Dick Morris article).

However, while Morris cites the Fed as his source, I cannot find official Fed figures that match his statement. I'm wondering if he just made it up. But notice how this official fed chart of the M2 money supply growth literally goes off the chart for 2009--not encouraging: http://www.newyorkfed.org/research/d.../itable_18.pdf

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2009, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/BASE

Not sure on the 270% figure, but the money supply has definitely doubled in less than a year.
Perhaps, the 270% takes into account Obummer's future spendings impact.

See also here:

http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...ey-like-crazy/

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2009, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Where would you put your money? The only currency I am considering at the moment is the Swiss franc.
I have my money in EUR, CHF, Gold and Silver.

However, the easiest way to "diversify" is to buy something like the MERK HARD CURRENCY fund.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules