Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best RSS Reader Software for the Mac

Best RSS Reader Software for the Mac
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2010, 12:41 PM

I read a lot of blogs for my business for research such as marketing tips, product releases new, etc. I've always tried to figure out the best way to keep up with the multiple sites and either just browse the sites or use services such as Twitter or Email Newsletters
I've talked to PC users and many of them suggested using RSS Feeds and I recently got Pulse for both my iPad and iPhone and it's been wonderful. I like the design and how it works but the only problem is a limit of 20 feeds. This covers many of the feeds but not quite all that I want to subscribe to.
What is a good option for using on the Mac? For web browsing I use Firefox, Safari, and Chrome and for email Thunderbird. If I'm correct these offer options for RSS feeds. How do these compare to other feed readers for the Mac. Are web based/cloud versions better? I"ve heard of options such as Google Reader.

markw10  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2010, 01:58 PM

I left this out of my original post but I like to share stories I read via RSS on Twitter and Facebook so integration for sharing with Twitter is important, same for Facebook.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2010, 07:58 PM

NetNewsWire is a good option. it syncs with Google Reader as well.

here is a script to post to twitter from netnewswire: TwitNews – Post to Twitter from NetNewsWire | making things work

If NetNewsWire doesn't appeal to you (I use it so that it syncs with Google Reader- I like being able to read my feeds even if I'm away from the computer), here is a list of other RSS software you can look at: 8 Unique RSS Readers for Mac | Mac.AppStorm

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2010, 08:18 AM

I've tried quite a few RSS Readers and settled on NetNewsWire.

-Q-
Aug 29, 2010, 08:58 AM

Same.

Cold Warrior
Aug 29, 2010, 10:56 AM

Tried a number of different ones over the years. NNW still beats them all, even the last free version that I've never updated beyond (3.1.7).

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2010, 07:33 PM

I tried NetNewsWire for a while and went back to using Google Reader.

Forum Links
Forum Rules