Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > RAM for iBook 800Mhz, which one?

RAM for iBook 800Mhz, which one?
rafaelperini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 02:22 AM

Hi All,

I know that the RAM issue has already been debated here. But I could not find a complete RAM description for the 800Mhz iBook. I was wondering if someone could help me and post here the types of RAM I can have installed on my iBook. I did a brief search on the net and I found the following descriptions:

1 - 512MB PC133 SO DIMM
2 - 512MB PC100-222 144pin, 16 Chip Low profile SDRAM SODIMM
3 - 512MB PC133 CL3/PC100 CL2 SO-DIMM
4 - 512MB 144pin SDRAM SODIMM 64Mx64 non ECC, gold, 3.3V, PC100 spec, 100 Mhz CAS 2 latency, 16C, 1.15 inches low profile, uses 32x8 DRAM MBGA Ultra thin
5 - 512 MB PC100 SO-DIMM 2-2-2 CL2 rated refresh 3.3 Volt 144 Pin 1.25" tall

Probably all of them works in the iBook, but which one is the best one? Can I use those memories in the new iMac 1Ghz?

Thanks lot in advance!

babynino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 06:09 AM

im not an expert but i think i can help since i had the same problem before when i was going to buy an extra RAM for my iBook. What you really need to consider getting in the specs are:

1. PC100 or PC133 - Our iBook only has 100Mhz bus so PC100 will be ok, getting a PC133 will work also as well and others told me that if I were to upgrade to a higher model with that support PC133 then i can still use it.

2. CAS 2 Latency or CL2 - what i knew was that CL2 is better than CL3 in terms of data transfer or something but others said that the speed difference doesn't really show up with our iBooks so either will do.

the rest are usually standard like the 3.3V, ultra-thin, low profile so i didnt researched on it. And all suppliers offer lifetime warranty

If this may help also, what i got for my iBook 12" 800 MHz is a 512MB PC133 144 pin 64x64 CL2 2-2-2 SO-DIMM Low Profile. It works flawlessly on my iBook. I got it from Other World Computing, I got a tip that they are a reliable Apple parts and have a good customer service. I need to know because im from the Philippines and have no choice but to order online to get a good dealer internationally.

And about your question on if this RAM will work on the new iMacs with 1Ghz, that i dont know.
12" 1GHz AL PowerBook G4 768MB RAM 40GB/APX

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 08:01 AM

i have the same ibook ram as babynino sitting in my draw waiting for my ibook

i also got mine from other world computing. good place that.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 12, 2003, 11:38 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 5, 2004 at 12:19 AM. )

rafaelperini  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2003, 10:58 AM

Babynino,

Thanks a lot for your post. Now I can definetly make a good decision what to buy for my iBook. I found out that the iBook memory won't wok in the 1GHz iMac (this one uses DDR).

Daimoni, I've been to Macseek.com many times... the problem is that I live in Canada, and there is eextra charge for delivery, plus Federal taxes and custom taxes, what makes a not so good deal anymore... I wanted to know the especifications (like Babynino explained) because I will be buying from a local store, and they don't quite understand about macs... Thanks anyway...

regards

Rafael

Forum Links
Forum Rules