Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > g4 sawtooth not starting up

g4 sawtooth not starting up
Dex13
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2005, 10:00 PM

hello?

yukon
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2005, 12:01 AM

Hi. That's a lot of detail there.

Are the fans moving? If not, push the CUDA button (button on the motherboard, metalic, small). If they are, try another boot disk, try disconnecting the HD first (drive failure can halt booting in some machines AFAIK). If that doesn't work, you're looking at a more general hardware failure. Replace the PSU, if it's a spectacular PSU failure then you might have to replace everything electronically connected to it.

You want the CUDA button to save you. Play your bets and try replacing the PRAM battery as well. Don't worry tooo much, it's an older machine, and I've seen the CUDA revive a G4 when NOTHING turned on.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Stolfi1
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2005, 12:33 AM

the cuda isnt saving me. I replaced the psu and it does the same thing start for a sec then shut right off. I reseated the ram the pci cards and I pulled the video out just to see if that was the problem but it was a no go. I guess its time to part her out

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Mar 18, 2005, 11:31 PM

this has nothing to do with modification... moving.
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

reader50
Administrator
Mar 19, 2005, 02:17 AM

Replace the battery. All the Sawtooths are getting old enough to have the battery die. Mine did.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2005, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by reader50:
Replace the battery. All the Sawtooths are getting old enough to have the battery die. Mine did.
Yup, went through that with a Cube that had sat idle for a few weeks just the other day.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

VCO
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2005, 09:53 AM

I'm having the same problem with a G4/500. I press the power switch, the Mac comes on for a few seconds and shuts down. I've ruled out the CPU, PSU and I'm thinking that it's the Mobo.

Is there anything on the Mobo to look at? Replacement boards are still quite expensive.

BTW, replacing the battery and resetting the CUDA doesn't help.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by VCO:
I'm having the same problem with a G4/500. I press the power switch, the Mac comes on for a few seconds and shuts down. I've ruled out the CPU, PSU and I'm thinking that it's the Mobo.

Is there anything on the Mobo to look at? Replacement boards are still quite expensive.

BTW, replacing the battery and resetting the CUDA doesn't help.
Bad RAM slot? I had that happen on my Sawtooth. Pull ram until you've tried booting will one or another slot empty.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2005, 09:13 PM

How many bongs do you get when you start up. My guess would be bad ram. Take it all out and see if it starts, then put each ram stick back one by one, trying the different ram slots with each stick. It could be a single bad stick, or a bad slot.

If I remember rightly, if you get 3 bongs it's bad ram.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 11:19 PM

I did not know that a dead battery could render a machine unbootable like that. In the olden days batteries would die and the only major thing that would be affected would be the system time.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2005, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
I did not know that a dead battery could render a machine unbootable like that. In the olden days batteries would die and the only major thing that would be affected would be the system time.
When the battery died in my Cube, it cased it to boot into OF every time and I had to continue from there, but it would boot. A Cube is essentially a single 450 Sawtooth.

VCO
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2005, 01:24 PM

The RAM's been working in a G3. I pulled it and the Mac does the same thing. It never gets as far as the "bong" stage. It starts and immediately shuts off. 2-3 seconds. I'm 90% positive that the Mobo is the problem. Where can I get a guaranteed to work board? Even eBay is sparse and expensive for these. It's almost the same price to buy a working G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules