Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Yet another Safari beachball thread..

Yet another Safari beachball thread..
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 07:44 PM

So, if Safari beachballs (not necessitating a Force Quit, just irritatingly long) reliably on specific sites from a specific user account, who has some troubleshooting ideas for someone who'd prefer not to trash prefs?

My one intuition is that it could have something to do with cookies, again, since it happens with specific sites in one user, but the same sites are unproblematic in another account or on another (.Mac-sync'ed, same OS/Safari version) machine..

Anyone heard of Safari choking on cookies? Or have any other ideas?

Thanks.

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 07:53 PM

Under AutoFill, uncheck Other forms. Also, be sure to empty your favicons folder and then lock it.

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 08:13 PM

Oh, jeebus, I forgot all about the favicons thing. I'll try it out (Other Forms is already unchecked).

Though, dangit, I like favicons. Does anyone who follows Safari/WebKit development know what kind of progress Apple's making on this slowdown? Surely they're aware of it..

allblue
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 09:06 AM

Where is the Favicons folder? I couldn't find it in user/library/safari/icons - or is that it? (Couldn't find it in Safari preferences either). That folder incidentally lists as 'Total size 7.5 mb; Disk size 10.6 mb'. I understand the difference between software/hardware megabytes (1024 -1000) but a 40% difference?
Like slugslugslug (I'd stay away from salty in these forums if I were you slug!) I like favicons. Its not just an eye candy thing but there is functionality. In the long bookmark list they are a big help finding the one you want quickly.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

slugslugslug  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 04:55 PM

Yes, that is the Favicons folder. And for the record, emptying it didn't do squat for me, though I didn't lock it. Still, one would think the problem wouldn't come back that quickly, right?

Y'know, I don't use my Bookmarks menu/sidebar that much, so I was about to say that Favicons aren't even all that useful for me, but then I looked in my History menu (which I use quite often), and was a bit aghast at how much of a difference my now-generic favicons made..

Forum Links
Forum Rules