Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Roommate dispute over AC

Roommate dispute over AC (Page 2)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2007, 03:25 PM

AC is damn near pointless in this area, last year there was a week or two that actually warranted AC usage but usually Massachusetts has very comfortable weather.

I'll never get the people that hate winter but the minute it gets hot will sit inside with the AC blasting in their face.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
AC is damn near pointless in this area, last year there was a week or two that actually warranted AC usage but usually Massachusetts has very comfortable weather.

I'll never get the people that hate winter but the minute it gets hot will sit inside with the AC blasting in their face.
I don't know, last summer seemed pretty damned bad to me. I moved to Cambridge from San Francisco in July. Did without an AC for a while, but had to give in and turn on the AC for pretty much all of August. Of course, I'd generally consider 65° to be the upper end of comfortable...

Different people just have different ideal temperatures.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2007, 04:07 PM

Last summer was an anomaly for around here.

It was 100+ for a full week, pure insanity for Cape Cod.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Last summer was an anomaly for around here.

It was 100+ for a full week, pure insanity for Cape Cod.
I hope so. We've had the run the AC about 4 nights so far this year because neither of us can get to sleep when it's hot and we're on the third floor so it's generally about 5° warmer inside than out.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2007, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
That makes no sense at all if you're being truthful about the temperatures. If it's really 70 degrees outside, the AC probably wouldn't even come on if it was set to 72. And if it did, it wouldn't be a constant flow either.
That depends on factors like amount and orientation of window space.
I live in an apartment that has a lot of windows facing south-southwest. The passive solar heating is great in the winter, but murderous in the summer. A nice comfortable 72 degree day with lots of sunshine can turn my apartment into a 95 degree hellhole, if I don't keep all the blinds closed all day.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 23, 2007, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
No offence dude but if you're "freezing" at 70 then there's something wrong with you, not him. Go get your circulation checked out or something.
Not always. 70 at my house is comfy, 70 in the office is FREEZING.

Our office had the same problem you are going through, and it's having it again.

Our "Production Administrator" as she likes to call herself (fancy name for secretary) is going through menopause right now. And likes it ICE ICE cold. Her and her assistant are both on the large side.

Well I started FREEZING. I even blocked the vent in my office/closed the door. NADA. So started turning the A/C down. And soon after it would be back up.

I'd put it at 74 and she would put it at 71/72 (Yes it that much difference in a big deal in this place) It's either a bit cold in there, or a bit muggy/hot.

So we compromised at 73 and I went and bought a small space heater for my office for $10 that my company reimbursed me for.

This has been working out the past 2 years. Well new people move in upstairs and they are "cold" and keep setting it to 76/77° etc. And I attempted to have a talk with the lady that thinks she runs the AC all of a sudden.

She went and complained to my boss about me "touching the thermostat" when I wasn't supposed to. My Boss said "Well I already had a talk to him about that. He said he only turned it back to where it was supposed to be after you turned it up"

She hasn't said anything, and has been bringing sweaters in.

You have to compromise.
( Last edited by Kevin; Jun 23, 2007 at 10:08 AM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Not always. 70 at my house is comfy, 70 in the office is FREEZING.
So, we talking wind chill or what then? Seems that way.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 23, 2007, 10:34 AM

No, just every AC systems 70° mark feels different.

Like not all amps on 10 sound the same. Some even go to 11.

Mine goes to 20.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2007, 10:40 AM

Hmmm.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

anonymac
Baninated
Jun 23, 2007, 01:01 PM

You don't have to compromise. When your roommate isn't looking just throw a nicer sucker punch, grab them by the shirt and yell never to "[expletive] with me again" concerning the A/C. Problem solved.

tiger
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2007, 02:00 PM

Seriously my AC is set at 67º which is a perfect temperature I believe 72 is not that bad. Most of the classrooms in the University are about 60 anyways.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2007, 02:09 PM

70 w/humidity will feel a hell of a lot warmer than the 70 degrees devoid of moisture that the A/C produces.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
Still, when it's 70 F outside it makes little sense to turn the AC on at 72 F.
Humidity?

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 23, 2007, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by anonymac View Post
You don't have to compromise. When your roommate isn't looking just throw a nicer sucker punch, grab them by the shirt and yell never to "[expletive] with me again" concerning the A/C. Problem solved.
Or depending on the controller, and how crafty you are you could always make 73=75

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2007, 09:58 AM

He he he he

This spring, one random day, I suddenly turned switched my heater/cooling until from SUPER HOT setting to the SUPER COLD setting.

Yes, I am rather odd.

Forum Links
Forum Rules