Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I am listening to Death Cab, does that make me gay?

View Poll Results: Does this make me
Poll Options:
Hetrosexual 2 votes (11.76%)
Metrosexual 9 votes (52.94%)
Homosexual 6 votes (35.29%)
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll
I am listening to Death Cab, does that make me gay? (Page 2)
calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2009, 02:55 PM

Obviously.

I am listening to the album Transatlanticism now - so damn good.

I really am into them, here is proof...

I dont think that they will overtake NOFX, though.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2009, 03:03 PM

Hmmm... Also a bit of The Decemberists in there...

Ain't nobody can say nothin about them!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
Rather short sighted, here. While I'm not the biggest proponent of majors, there are lots of reasons why bands sign with a label, such as "making a living" and "being able to afford the best possible scenarios for creating the best album they can".
Except that they generally end up getting completely FUBARed by big labels who force them to pay back debts from the start of their fancy contract...many bands don't break even before the first year of the contract is up, because they owe so much back to the labels.

Then there's the issue of labels owning rights to the music, so that bands whose labels drop them can't even release the music they've worked so hard to create, because they don't technically own the IP rights to it.

Bands don't need to sign on with one of the RIAA labels to be popular. If your music doesn't suck, you can make it big enough with an indie label - The Shins have made themselves into a great example of how this can be done.

"Making a living" doesn't have to be equated with "living the high life with a seven-figure income". You can "make a living" in a band without selling out to the RIAA.

Two of my favorite bands were dropped by the RIAA after one album (both had previously recorded and distributed under smaller labels) simply because they didn't pull in enough profit for companies that already make billions. The artists got screwed from the start. I don't call that "being able to afford the best possible scenarios for creating the best album they can"...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 25, 2009, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Bands don't need to sign on with one of the RIAA labels to be popular. If your music doesn't suck, you can make it big enough with an indie label - The Shins have made themselves into a great example of how this can be done.
The Who?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2009, 05:19 PM

Hilarious.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The Who?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2009, 05:59 PM

Except that they generally end up getting completely FUBARed by big labels who force them to pay back debts from the start of their fancy contract...many bands don't break even before the first year of the contract is up, because they owe so much back to the labels.
Ways and means around the whole "sell your soul to an RIAA label" thing whilst still being signed to them. For those who know what they're doing, obviously.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2009, 11:10 AM

Then there's the issue of labels owning rights to the music, so that bands whose labels drop them can't even release the music they've worked so hard to create, because they don't technically own the IP rights to it.

"Making a living" doesn't have to be equated with "living the high life with a seven-figure income". You can "make a living" in a band without selling out to the RIAA.

Two of my favorite bands were dropped by the RIAA after one album (both had previously recorded and distributed under smaller labels) simply because they didn't pull in enough profit for companies that already make billions. The artists got screwed from the start. I don't call that "being able to afford the best possible scenarios for creating the best album they can"...
The bands are only taking the money and agreeing to things they CHOOSE to agree to. It isn't indentured servitude. Many bands own their own publishing rights. The problem is when a band has been a "starving tour the country in a van" artist for years, established a decent amount of popularity, THEN have a fancy slick A&R guy with tattoos (who sometimes was even in a prominent band back in the day) show up at their shows and dangles a contract in front of them.

Yes, bands can make it on their own or with an indie label. That doesn't say that there aren't benefits to signing with a major. I never said anything about 7 figure incomes. There are insanely few musicians/artists making that kind of money. Almost noone in the spectrum we're talking about is going to do that, the few exceptions being someone like green day or something.

The shins are on an indie? Sub pop is an indie label? They're half owned by warner brothers.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2009, 02:27 PM

I am not sure how this became a debate about the RIAA and that.

IMO it is a stupid discussion. I listen to music if I like it. I love the Shins (listening to Oh, Inverted World now, what an awesome album) but whatever.

Anyway...

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2009, 03:47 PM

No you don't. You're concerned that listening to "a lack of color" on repeat is making you a sissy.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2009, 04:42 PM

No, "we looked like giants"

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
No you don't. You're concerned that listening to "a lack of color" on repeat is making you a sissy.
Whoa there now, Mr. Pants. That’s not what he said. He was concerned it was making him gay, not a sissy.

’Cause while listening to Death Cab for Cutie will almost certainly not make anyone gay (except in very extreme cases of overdoses), it will most certainly make them sissies.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2009, 09:10 AM

Was that an insult?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 2, 2009, 10:12 AM

Only if you consider being a sissy an insult.

Personally, I embrace my sissiness; but knowing you, I suspect you may feel differently.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2009, 10:42 AM

Hey, I just looked up sissy.

Yes, I am insulted.
( Last edited by calverson; Mar 2, 2009 at 12:12 PM. )

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 2, 2009, 11:39 AM

Ah well. It’s your own damn fault for letting your girl trick you into listening to Death Cab for Cutie in the first place.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2009, 12:15 PM

Well, it is worth it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules