Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mechanic open 24/7

Mechanic open 24/7 (Page 2)
bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2010, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I'm inclined to agree, especially if you're aiming at the non-emergency regular people crowd.
Check.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2010, 07:29 PM

Ok here are a few additional questions-

How much would you pay for a patch of your tire? Say you ran over a nail and it was leaking, but fixable.

How much would you pay for a used tire, in case the old couldn't be patched?

Does convenience, speed and 24/7 service factor into how much you would pay?

An example- last night a couple from Milwaukee, WI shredded a tire. They got towed in from AAA and within 30 minutes they drove away with a used tire. This all on the 4th of July in the evening, 100 miles from home.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2010, 08:09 PM

While I'd expect to pay a premium for the 24/7 convenience charging to much pushes into blood sucking oppertunitst taking advantage of people in a moment of weekness.

andi*pandi
Jul 5, 2010, 09:55 PM

If good new tires cost $150 ea, and cheap new tires cost $60, a used tire should be less than that. $35? A patch from what I remember is $10-15, but that was a while ago and the last few times I've been in that situation no one knew how to patch worth a damn.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2010, 10:33 PM

Lots of places patch up for free.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2010, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Lots of places patch up for free.
Who and where?

This shop charges $15 for a patch, which includes taking the tire off, inspecting it, putting it in water and looking for bubbling, the patch, more water and bubbling and finally reinstall.

Used tires are $35, which includes all the above (sans patch, obviously).

New tires are around $90 a piece.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2010, 09:20 AM

those prices seem pretty good for "busy/downtownish" chicago.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2010, 09:22 AM

Off the top of my head Tire World and Les Schwab.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2010, 01:20 PM

Off the top of my head Tire World and Les Schwab.
Not sure if either of those exist in Chicago.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 6, 2010, 03:09 PM

I'd be extreeeeemly hesitant to run a used tire of any car of mine for any amount of time. Maybe if it was my only option in an emergency and I could get a pair of new tires soon.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'd be extreeeeemly hesitant to run a used tire of any car of mine for any amount of time. Maybe if it was my only option in an emergency and I could get a pair of new tires soon.
Why?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 6, 2010, 05:44 PM

When replacing tires, it's always smartest to do it in pairs to keep front/rear vehicle dynamics and tread wear similar. I'm sure plenty of people run with four mismatched tires, but that's not ideal. Maybe I'm just overly cautious coming from motorcycles where a flat tire isn't a simple inconvenience but a life-threatening event.
( Last edited by Laminar; Jul 6, 2010 at 06:27 PM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2010, 05:47 PM

I'm with Lammy on that. At minimum, replace both tyres on the axle in question.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2010, 06:24 PM

i agree with both tired on same axle.

but in an emergency; just the like the donut spare, a used tire can get you to your destination (or let you finish your vacation) without breaking the bank so you can later get things done at your preferred tire place (as opposed to a gas station, garage, roadside service, or the OP location). get me going again and will take care of when i get home.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2010, 07:25 PM

Especially if you have an AWD vehicle, mismatched tires can really do the AWD system wrong. I drove a Legacy GT once with very different tires in front and back and the AWD light was on, and it was pulling very oddly, felt FWD.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2010, 07:44 PM

Especially if you have an AWD vehicle, mismatched tires can really do the AWD system wrong. I drove a Legacy GT once with very different tires in front and back and the AWD light was on, and it was pulling very oddly, felt FWD.
Can't say I have that experience at all on my Subaru Legacy Outback AWD.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2010, 07:50 PM

You're lucky then, because the owner's manual (at least for my mom's 2006 Legacy GT) warns against mixing tires, even the same tires but with different amounts of wear.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2010, 11:48 PM

$15 sounds like a good price for a tire repair

Whether you believe it is a good idea or not(probably not) there is a used tire market, someone has to cater to this market. Used tires are fine as long as they are in good condition, generally less than 6 years old, more than 6/32nds" of treadwear, no unusual wear characteristics, no damage, hasn't been run flat etc. However tires are almost always taken off for a reason.

Depending on the design of the AWD system, running tires with different diameters front to rear can cause damage.

andi*pandi
Jul 7, 2010, 10:49 AM

I also have an outback, and yes, the manual says that... however it's ridiculous that if you need to replace one you have to replace them all. I will accept slightly poorer performance if need be, but there's been times I couldn't afford 4 new tires at once.

I'm about to trade a car with good tires, I'm sure the car will be shredded for parts and there's where used tires can come from.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2010, 05:06 PM

I also have an outback, and yes, the manual says that... however it's ridiculous that if you need to replace one you have to replace them all. I will accept slightly poorer performance if need be, but there's been times I couldn't afford 4 new tires at once.

I'm about to trade a car with good tires, I'm sure the car will be shredded for parts and there's where used tires can come from.
What year outback do you have? Legacy or Impreza?

andi*pandi
Jul 7, 2010, 08:05 PM

96 legacy wagon.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2010, 08:06 PM

96 legacy wagon.
I have the 97 Legacy Wagon. I know your car very well and can fix it even better.

andi*pandi
Jul 8, 2010, 08:39 AM

Hmm, do you do body repair?

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2010, 03:22 PM

Hmm, do you do body repair?
Ya know, a gal came in last night and said she had been rear ended and asked us to fix it. I had to tell her we don't do auto body and if she wanted us to facilitate it then it would be a $100 service fee.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2010, 02:48 AM

Ok here's an issue I am running into and need input before taking the next step--

AutoZone is less than a 1 minute drive away, on the same street, and is open 24/7. We buy a majority of our parts from there and know the managers and employees. It's a very busy place and at 2am the line can be long. Whenever anyone asks for a referral to a mechanic the AutoZone employees refer them to us. They even showed me how we were #1 in their computer for referral. Despite a sign saying it is illegal to work on cars in their lot this is a regular occurrence. I began to notice the same faces working on cars and also noticed cash being handed back and forth. Moreover, some potential customers have been coming up saying things like "the guy in the AutoZone parking lot says he'll do it for $30, so why should I pay for $60?". I have walked out of AutoZone and the MOMENT I step through the door they say, "Hey, do you need help with your car? I am a mechanic!"

The issue is thus: They are taking away customers from us, are engaged in illegal car repair and are offering substandard services.

What do I do? If I call the City they will fine AutoZone, folks whom we have a good relationship with. If I call the cops then the mechanics will run away, but just come back once the cops leave. I wouldn't care, but this is taking away customers from us. Ideas?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
Ok here's an issue I am running into and need input before taking the next step--
How does AutoZone feel about it?

andi*pandi
Jul 20, 2010, 10:09 AM

The folks at Autozone should be the one to report it, since it's their liability.

Customers coming to you comparing services, ask them if they want work done by a reputable repairman they can find the next day, or a meth addict who hangs around parking lots?

-Q-
Jul 20, 2010, 10:43 AM

The issue is thus: They are taking away customers from us, are engaged in illegal car repair and are offering substandard services.
And if this isn't enough for someone coming to your shop, you have a more serious problem with your garage's reputation than some people fixing cars in the AutoZone parking lot.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
And if this isn't enough for someone coming to your shop, you have a more serious problem with your garage's reputation than some people fixing cars in the AutoZone parking lot.
If people bought based on quality and reputation, McDonald's and China would be out of business. Price is king.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2010, 11:18 AM

If people bought based on quality and reputation, McDonald's and China would be out of business. Price is king.
This be a truth.

80/20 rule in play again, perhaps? 80% go for price, 20% go for quality.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2010, 11:24 AM

What do I do? If I call the City they will fine AutoZone, folks whom we have a good relationship with. If I call the cops then the mechanics will run away, but just come back once the cops leave. I wouldn't care, but this is taking away customers from us. Ideas?
You can be certain that these people are operating with AutoZone's permission. Thus you have two choices:

1) Do something about it and find yourself another supplier.
2) Do nothing and put up with it.

-Q-
Jul 20, 2010, 11:56 AM

I'd buy that argument for most things, but in the case of some random dude approaching me at an AutoZone to perform car repairs? Seems ultra sketchy to me, and an easy argument to overcome. How do I know the person is even remotely qualified to work on my car?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I'd buy that argument for most things, but in the case of some random dude approaching me at an AutoZone to perform car repairs? Seems ultra sketchy to me, and an easy argument to overcome. How do I know the person is even remotely qualified to work on my car?
If he's there enough, I'm sure the AutoZone employees could vouch for him.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2010, 03:08 PM

The AZ employees say they have nothing to do with it, but I suspect there is some type of payoff going on. Not sure how to handle this....

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2010, 12:02 AM

It's a difficult problem, I have reached pretty much the same conclusion you have. To some extent it is the cost of doing business. Are these guys licensed mechanics? Not sure how it works in your state/country, but the apprenticeship board would likely frown on it.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2010, 12:04 AM

There isn't a requirement to be a licensed mechanic in Chicago, but it is against the law to do repair in the parking lot.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2010, 02:58 AM

Personally, I would love it. I like business that are open and can accommodate me while I'm not at work. I hate insurance agents that are only open from 8am to 4pm. Crap, I work during those hours, they want me to take time off from work to accommodate them. HA.

The only thing is, you can only do this in a big city, one that is open year round, like Vegas or New York.

Forum Links
Forum Rules