Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > VMware Fusion 4 Released

VMware Fusion 4 Released
Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2011, 11:41 AM

Always one to be on the bleeding edge, I figured I'd give it a try. Fusion 3.1 running Unity under Lion is a mess... hoping they've fixed it.

So am I just being thick or is this a little ambiguous? Do I drag the new version of Fusion to the Applications folder and then click on the Upgrade app? Or does the Upgrade app automagically do the installation of Fusion 4? Technically I'm not "installing" Fusion, I'm "upgrading" Fusion.

edit: The Getting Started PDF doesn't clarify how to do the upgrade.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2011, 01:27 PM

Upgrading from VMware Fusion 3.x to 4 will require a bit interaction. The disk image includes an installer that will handle the upgrade, which only requires that you shut down VMware Fusion (if running) and provide the system password. It takes less than five minutes.

Hands-On Screenshot Tour of VMware Fusion 4 for Mac OS X

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2011, 02:01 PM

Is it snappy ?

-t

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2011, 02:04 PM

I ended up just double-clicking the upgrade app and it worked.

Doesn't seem like a major release to me.... just tweaked to support Lion. I'm glad they didn't implement "true" full-screen mode for Lion as it's crap on multiple monitor setups.

Unity is working well and they've implemented horizontal scrolling via two-finger swipe. I just wish scrolling would follow the focus of the mouse like it does in OS X. I hate that I have to click on an element first before scrolling works.

I notice no improvements in speed. And Unity is still noticeably slower than full-screen mode.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2011, 02:07 PM

Thanks. Sounds to me like I'm going to stick with Parallels 7.

As slow as VMWare has been in developing, they might have just achieved parity with Parallels 6.

-t

prisch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2011, 09:21 PM

I installed 4 and all of a sudden there is no audio. Not through the speakers, USB headset or anywhere. I have reinstalled VM tools, etc. All setting in the .vmx file are as requested. I am running Lion, but audio works great on my mac. Audio worked on 3 with no issues. I upgraded to get more support for Lion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules