Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > KaZaA for Mac!

KaZaA for Mac! (Page 2)
Brazuca
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by schep:
i just have files with names like

9BCFCB9CDFACD70CE7646AAB3D72BA58

what are these?

edit: nm I just had to find the right one and change the file name
You actually have to "commit" the file. Just open the web interface, locate the "commit" button and press it.

then look under the /incoming folder.
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 28, 2003, 12:44 AM

Another probably dumb question: Is MLdonkey caching its downloads in RAM?
I started to download a couple of pretty large movies, and before I knew it, I had 7 swapfiles! And this is with 768 MB of RAM.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

frates
May 28, 2003, 01:45 AM

no, it's not stored in ram. A temporary file is created in the temp folder, and it is the same size as the final file. So you created a couple of 700MB files in your temp folder, and the total amount grows very fast. Try creating such large files in a few seconds with anything else, you'll see as much swap appear

raff67
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2003, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by Brazuca:
1) Yes. the speed of your download depends on users being online that have the file you need. If I log out, I cannot upload the file to you. But as other people log in, you'll see your speed increase. Just leave it running.

2) I'm not sure. This goes beyond my understanding of how mldonkey handles the file ID and the file itself. Take a look at the FAQ and forum I pointed to above. Ask there as the developer of mldonkey is always online.
2) you might want to take a look in the p2p section as well cause i�ve been helping a "friend" there beta test an easy install for Lopster AKA WinMX and it ROCKS !IMHO a much better network than fasttrack, but he needs some help/ beta testers/ someone to host it
http://www.macdk.com/phpBB2/

tritonus
Senior User
May 29, 2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by frates:
to connect to fasttrack, first open the 1214 port in your firewall and forward it if needed on your router to your machine.
UDP or TCP? Or both?
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

tritonus
Senior User
May 29, 2003, 09:38 AM

Wow, that's an awesome piece of software (once it's up and running)!

I just deleted all the other sharing apps I have tried. Good night, Acquisition, Limewire & Co.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

frates
May 29, 2003, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by tritonus:
UDP or TCP? Or both?
TCP
with mldonkey, the only one udp port to open is 4666

KidRed
Professional Poster
May 29, 2003, 10:29 AM

I'm having a problem. I used the web gui and started downloading 2 files, then saw the iHan gui and installed that. It saw the 2 files and continued downloading them. However, iHan freezes every-time I try and search. I can't get the web gui back -I have the script to open it because it says 'mldonkey already running'. It won't let me stop it or continue and open the web gui.

So I'm stuck. I can't use the web gui and I can't search because iHan sucks and crashes. I've tried killing mldonkey in iHan and it didn't work.

Any ideas?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

tritonus
Senior User
May 29, 2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by frates:
TCP
with mldonkey, the only one udp port to open is 4666
Thanks!

One more thing:

When on Ethernet, my router shows the port open in the NAT list.

When on AirPort Extreme, my router's NAT list is empty!

Does AirPort Extreme BaseStation have a firewall?

I set router to DHCP and NAT, AEBS no DHCP, no NAT. So, AEBS should just be the bridge, right.

The result: nice downloads on Ethernet, no or few downloads on AirPort!
SwitCHerland, Europe

Brazuca
Mac Elite
May 29, 2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
I'm having a problem. I used the web gui and started downloading 2 files, then saw the iHan gui and installed that. It saw the 2 files and continued downloading them. However, iHan freezes every-time I try and search. I can't get the web gui back -I have the script to open it because it says 'mldonkey already running'. It won't let me stop it or continue and open the web gui.

So I'm stuck. I can't use the web gui and I can't search because iHan sucks and crashes. I've tried killing mldonkey in iHan and it didn't work.

Any ideas?
try killing it from the terminal. There are many ways to do this, and I don't pretend to know which way is best/less risky.

Maybe someone here can inform us on the right syntax for killing a process.
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 29, 2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
I've tried killing mldonkey in iHan and it didn't work.

Any ideas?
Open Process Viewer (in /Applications/Utilities) and kill the process "mlnet".
/mal

frates
May 29, 2003, 12:53 PM

Thanks!

One more thing:

When on Ethernet, my router shows the port open in the NAT list.

When on AirPort Extreme, my router's NAT list is empty!

Does AirPort Extreme BaseStation have a firewall?

I set router to DHCP and NAT, AEBS no DHCP, no NAT. So, AEBS should just be the bridge, right.

The result: nice downloads on Ethernet, no or few downloads on AirPort!
In a general way, port forwarding and dhcp are not good friends. I'd advise you to set up your computer with a static ip adress (just my 2 cents, not sure at all, because I don't see a lot differences between the two setups )

KidRed
Professional Poster
May 29, 2003, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Open Process Viewer (in /Applications/Utilities) and kill the process "mlnet".
Thanks, that worked. I guess I know why iHan kept crashing, I had 5 processes going for mlnet.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

allap
Forum Regular
May 29, 2003, 06:57 PM

for the life of me, i cannot figure out how to install mldonkey! can someone point me in the right direction?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 29, 2003, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
1. Download MLdonkey and MLdoneky launcher (search VT). Put the entire mldonkey folder from the mounted disk image in you Applications directory.

2. Install MLdonkey launcher. point it to MLdonkey folder in Applications.

3. From the script menu, select Launch_MLdonkey

4. go to http://localhost:4080 for web-based interface. hooray!

Step 2.5: change Script name to "mlnet" -- at least when I downloaded mldonkey 2.5, the script is now called mlnet, which probably will fix it for others, too.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 29, 2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by allap:
for the life of me, i cannot figure out how to install mldonkey! can someone point me in the right direction?
1. Download MLdonkey 2.5 and mlDonkey Launcher from Macupdate.com

2. Unstuff the "mld.sit" file and mount the "MLdonkey2.5.dmg-link.dmg" image. (Safari in its default settings will do this for you.)

3. Open the "MlDonkey OS X" volume on the desktop and copy the "MLdonkey2.5" folder to your Applications folder (/Applications/). Move the now-unstuffed mlDonkey Launcher application from the desktop to the Applications folder.

4. Open mlDonkey Launcher, wait for its annoying 20 second (!) nagware screen to finish.

5. Press "preferences" in mlDonkey Launcher

6. Change the first field (path to the folder containing the script) to "/Applications/" (the forward slashes are essential!)

7. Change the second field (script name) to "mlnet"

8. Close the preferences sheet and press Launch mlDonkey

9. go to http://localhost:4080/

...and that's as far as I got! I haven't yet figured out how to actually look for things.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 29, 2003, 07:35 PM

Gah!

mldonkey is a prime example of why technical writers are a necessity -- programmers often are completely inept at properly designing (from a UI standpoint) and documenting a program.

tooki

allap
Forum Regular
May 29, 2003, 08:09 PM

Thanks alot Tooki, i finally got it up and running. I hadn't realized that when it said change the path they meant the script path, i was expecting a application path or someting along those lines.

King Bob On The Cob  (op)
Mac Elite
May 29, 2003, 11:05 PM

I'm going to see how much I can do with CocoDonkey. Bad - Written in Java. Good - I can write in Java!

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 29, 2003, 11:07 PM

Forget mlDonkey Launcher! Get the freeware Donkey Controller. It puts a handy little item right in your menubar, which not only launches and kills the mlDonkey process, but also tracks the progress of your downloads, lets you commit files, add ed2k links and issue console commands.
/mal

Brazuca
Mac Elite
May 29, 2003, 11:36 PM

Forget mlDonkey Launcher! Get the freeware Donkey Controller. It puts a handy little item right in your menubar, which not only launches and kills the mlDonkey process, but also tracks the progress of your downloads, lets you commit files, add ed2k links and issue console commands.
Doesn't work with 2.5 yet, unless I'm doing something wrong.

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 29, 2003, 11:40 PM

Works fine with 2.5 for me. You have to set the path to the MLdonkey folder in Donkey Controller's prefs, like "/Applications/MLdonkey2.5/" (if that's where you put it). Don't forget the leading and trailing /'s.
/mal

JB72
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 05:06 AM

I second that. Also, if you use MLdonkey much, it's a good idea to just add it as a login item.

- - -

I've noticed that I'm having trouble connecting to many networks. The donkey nets and Fasttrack (Sharazaa) do great, but after that I'm not sure what the others are doing for me.

- - -

One thing I don't like is that the core seems to hang sometimes when I access it from http, especially when removing a d/l. Does it lack proper threading?

- - -

Random thought: I might decide to nickname the entirety of the MLdonkey experience "tricklenet." Just a thought.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 02:34 PM

sorry, I've set the path, including the "/"s. When I tell it to start the core, I get the message:

"mldonkey has quit or you have specified an invalid path in the preference window.
Go to your mldonkey folder and trash any .tmp file you can find in it and check if the path in the preference window is correct"

the path is right. What could cause this?

justinf77
Forum Regular
May 30, 2003, 04:33 PM

Just wanted to let you know that, based on the instructions here and macdk.com, finally have MLdonkey set up!

No more low ID problems!!!

I also reconfigured my network today all through wireless router instead of internet connection sharing through XP, yuck. Now I am free from XP for good, AND have a working Donkey.

JB72
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 06:21 PM

sorry, I've set the path, including the "/"s. When I tell it to start the core, I get the message:

"mldonkey has quit or you have specified an invalid path in the preference window.
Go to your mldonkey folder and trash any .tmp file you can find in it and check if the path in the preference window is correct"

the path is right. What could cause this?
If you are using DonkeyController. You need to set the path to the directory where mlnet is located. MIne, for example is:
Code:
/Applications/MLDonkey/MLdonkey2.5

Brazuca
Mac Elite
May 31, 2003, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by JB72:
If you are using DonkeyController. You need to set the path to the directory where mlnet is located. MIne, for example is:
Code:
/Applications/MLDonkey/MLdonkey2.5
JB72,

I did that. I selected the folder from the browser that comes up. I've also checked the path:

/Applications/Internet Apps/Download/Donkey/MLdonkey2.5/

Does it have any issues with spaces in the path? Is it too deep in the path?

Mac Elite
May 31, 2003, 01:19 AM

try taking out the trailing slash, don't know how picky the script is....

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
May 31, 2003, 05:40 AM

try killing it from the terminal. There are many ways to do this, and I don't pretend to know which way is best/less risky.

Maybe someone here can inform us on the right syntax for killing a process.
In the terminal you first type "top" (without quotes of course).

open a second terminal window, then in the first window you look at top and search for a process called "mlnet" there is a number in front of this process, that's the PID#. If you got it, you select the other window and you type "kill PID#" (PID# is replaced with a number)--> return. mlnet should stop now, this is the way I do it in the terminal.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2003, 09:17 PM

JB72,

I did that. I selected the folder from the browser that comes up. I've also checked the path:

Try making that:

/Applications/Internet\ Apps/Download/Donkey/MLdonkey2.5/

JB72
Mac Elite
May 31, 2003, 10:07 PM

JB72,

I might try it without the last slash.

Code:
/Applications/Internet Apps/Download/Donkey/MLdonkey2.5
and/or quotes...

Code:
"/Applications/Internet Apps/Download/Donkey/MLdonkey2.5"
I wish I could help more, but I'm really novice with this tuff. I just happened to get lucky I think.

Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2003, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by JB72:
I might try it without the last slash.

Code:
/Applications/Internet Apps/Download/Donkey/MLdonkey2.5
and/or quotes...

Code:
"/Applications/Internet Apps/Download/Donkey/MLdonkey2.5"
I wish I could help more, but I'm really novice with this tuff. I just happened to get lucky I think.
Maybe the space in the name is what's going on.
Try either with the quotes or
Code:
/Applications/Internet\ Apps/Download/Donkey/MLdonkey2.5

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2003, 02:20 PM

How would I go about sharing my Music Folder?

also, if it says 0 users 0 connected under the fasttrack part, am I still connected to it?
( Last edited by Alex00087; Jun 1, 2003 at 02:56 PM. )

tritonus
Senior User
Jun 1, 2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Alex00087:
also, if it says 0 users 0 connected under the fasttrack part, am I still connected to it?
Probably not. I have 5 servers connected to Fasttrack all the time. Did you open your firewall. Fasttrack needs TCP port 1214.
SwitCHerland, Europe

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2003, 03:51 PM

Probably not. I have 5 servers connected to Fasttrack all the time. Did you open your firewall. Fasttrack needs TCP port 1214.

I have five servers as well, but 0 "users" and "files". When I search for something, some of the files it finds are from Fasttrack servers.
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

tritonus
Senior User
Jun 1, 2003, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by brown monk:
I have five servers as well, but 0 "users" and "files". When I search for something, some of the files it finds are from Fasttrack servers.
Me too! Seems to be okay though. If you find searches, it's a good sign.
SwitCHerland, Europe

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2003, 05:53 PM

I get that "0" for users and files, too, but have successfully searched for and downloaded files from FastTrack servers.
/mal

Seamus
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2003, 08:44 PM

I've enabled fasttrack in the options, and I don't have a firewall, and it's still not working for me. Any ideas?
I'm a bad...motherf%#!ing DJ

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by Alex00087:
How would I go about sharing my Music Folder?
options > shares > add share.

- - -

As for me, the MLdonkey honeymoon is over, and it didn't pass the test. Too much funkiness, too many slow azz downloads. I'm still evaluating giFT, iSwipe, and DC.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2003, 10:59 PM

Most downloads do seem to crawl, but occasionally one zips along fairly fast.
One thing I like about MLdonkey is that it runs as a background process. I do a couple of searches, add a couple of items to my download list, and then just forget about them. Whenever a source is available, a download resumes. It's a lot easier (IMO) than DC, and a lot more successful at actually downloading files than iSwipe.
I still am using xNap, since it seems to find more obscure music than MLdonkey. I'll have to check out giFT one of these days.
/mal

chezpaul
Senior User
Jun 2, 2003, 01:08 AM

This thing... (iHan) is telling me that my port 4662 is not open but it is... At leat I opened it (port forwarding) on my router and I don't have a firewall.. I only use little stich that I turned off cause it goes crazy. So what would be my problem. ? I also open ports 4001, 4002, 4080... but I don't think they were closed in the first place anyway...
It's a net gear router...
Help please... Thanks...

Oh.. on the web GUI I'm able to do searches and start fownloads even though nothing downloads...
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 01:16 AM

Most downloads do seem to crawl, but occasionally one zips along fairly fast.
One thing I like about MLdonkey is that it runs as a background process. I do a couple of searches, add a couple of items to my download list, and then just forget about them. Whenever a source is available, a download resumes.
That's what I liked about MLdonkey. I ran it on a server and controlled via other machines through http. GiFT works in a similar way as a background service.

TC
Senior User
Jun 2, 2003, 05:15 AM

Yep, I like the steady approach taken by mlDonkey. You don't get files instantly like on Carracho but as long as you can leave your server running 24/7 you'll get it in the end.

My B&W G3 is so happy to have a role in life again and my TiBook seems happier not having to connect to sleezy servers.

Make sure you set it up to email you when downloads are complete, you don't even need to check on the process any more.

Also for people setting it up to control from another machine, if you have a dynamic ip you can use the value 255 to specify a range. The last part of my ip address can change every time I connect so i just specify it as 255 and it works each time. For example, sometimes I may be 133.234.22.4 and another time 133.234.22.7 so i just put in the ip address asd 133.234.22.255 (don't try those ip addresses, I just made them up).
Nothing to see, move along.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
Maybe the space in the name is what's going on.
Try either with the quotes or
Code:
/Applications/Internet\ Apps/Download/Donkey/MLdonkey2.5
I tried everything. I finally removed the spaces from the path and this was the only thing that works.

I'm going to stop using it until its fixed to allow spaces in the path.

tritonus
Senior User
Jun 2, 2003, 09:25 AM

I tried everything. I finally removed the spaces from the path and this was the only thing that works.

I'm going to stop using it until its fixed to allow spaces in the path.
Why don't you use the Terminal command? Instead of wasting your time with problem-solving, you could have started MLdonkey manually about a hundred times.

I don't even shut down Terminal anymore. MLdonkey runs quietly in the background.
SwitCHerland, Europe

Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 10:46 PM

Why don't you use the Terminal command? Instead of wasting your time with problem-solving, you could have started MLdonkey manually about a hundred times.

I don't even shut down Terminal anymore. MLdonkey runs quietly in the background.
I started doing this also, giFT or mldonkey (Depending on the file I want) is continuously running in verbose mode on one of my virtual desktops.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 11:16 PM

Maybe I missed something, but how do I open up port 4662 and that port for Fast Track? Do I do this through the web interface? I was having low ID problems earlier today when I tried out mlDonkey for the first time (I opened it through the Terminal). I have BrickHouse running as my firewall.

And as for finding files, how well are you guys finding it works in comparison to Acquisition?

Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
Maybe I missed something, but how do I open up port 4662 and that port for Fast Track? Do I do this through the web interface? I was having low ID problems earlier today when I tried out mlDonkey for the first time (I opened it through the Terminal). I have BrickHouse running as my firewall.

And as for finding files, how well are you guys finding it works in comparison to Acquisition?
It doesn't search Gnutela but due to its ability to login to FastTrack, it finds a lot of files.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
It doesn't search Gnutela but due to its ability to login to FastTrack, it finds a lot of files.
It doesn't seem to connect to any FastTrack servers for me when I look at connections even with turning on the option to connect to those servers.

Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
It doesn't seem to connect to any FastTrack servers for me when I look at connections even with turning on the option to connect to those servers.
So from what I read you enabled FastTrack from the Net Options and it still won't connect to FastTrack SuperNodes? Odd....

Forum Links
Forum Rules