Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > GAH! I hate the United States Postal Service!

GAH! I hate the United States Postal Service!
King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 04:27 PM

{rant]
OK, right after Christmas I had some extra cash so I decided it would be a good time to go check eBay for an iPod. Just my luck, I came across a $180 10 Gig version. I used 'Buy it now' and purchased it. The seller sent it out on Monday. I can understand it taking 3 business + 1 Holiday days to go the entire four hour trip from Chicago to St. Louis, but what I can't understand is why our fat-ass postal employee wouldn't get out of his god damn car and walk up to my door to deliver the box! He filled out a slip to tell me that he couldn't get ahold of me. (I sat there and watched him deliver our mail, but I didn't know it was coming via USPS) Is it really that difficult to open your door, walk the 20 feet to my door, ring the bell, and deliver the package? I don't know if I trust a guy who will lie to his employer (tell him that I wasn't home) to deliver what should be totally confidential mail. Plus the slip says I can't pick it up until tomorrow (I have some stuff to do so I'll probably miss it tomorrow too and not be able to pick it up until Monday)
[/rant]
Had to get that out of my system.

EDIT: Spelling
( Last edited by King Bob On The Cob; Jan 2, 2004 at 04:37 PM. )

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2004, 04:31 PM

That sucks indeed...

Dex13
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 04:43 PM

I always leave a note in the mail box to remind them to come and knock on my door and if I'm not home I ask them to leave it on my doorstep, they are always happy to oblige.

For the most part I have always had positive experiences w/ USPS, in my opinion they are the same if not better then UPS and FedEx.

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Dex13:
For the most part I have always had positive experiences w/ USPS, in my opinion they are the same if not better then UPS and FedEx.
UPS is great if you need a money really fast.

Just get a decently sized box, write all over it "FRAGILE. EXPENSIVE. RARE. ONE OF A KIND." Insure it for a few grand. Wait a week. File for a claims check.

"Do I need to draw a diagram for you then to tell you that nerdy 16-17 year olds, fat chicks and old men turn my crank then? Will you understand it then or don't you follow still chris." - Landos Mustache

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2004, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Misanthrope:
UPS is great if you need a money really fast.

Just get a decently sized box, write all over it "FRAGILE. EXPENSIVE. RARE. ONE OF A KIND." Insure it for a few grand. Wait a week. File for a claims check.

You wish!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2004, 05:39 PM

Yeap.. I don't trust USPS.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2004, 05:56 PM

Who do I not trust? UPS. Then I don't trust USPS. The only company I truly trust is FedEx.

As far as the delivery people go, they love me because I ALWAYS remember them at holidays with gift certificates and boxes of chocolate. I even give the garbage pickup guys 12 packs of Heinekin and they'll also take ANYTHING away that I ask them to.

I try to be generous because those guys are working VERY hard to provide a service, even if it is with the city, state, or government.

Being nice will get you much farther than anything else -- and it will keep you taken care of for the important things.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 08:36 PM

USPS's Priority Mail is about 10 times faster and 5 times cheaper than UPS ground shipping.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2004, 08:45 PM

Very happy with the USPS.

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2004, 11:19 PM

Ay, I use USPS Priority for all my eBay auctions, and I've never had a problem. UPS on the other hand... ugh. Let's not go there.

FedEx is good, but a little pricey.

It seems you just have a lazy letter carrier. One man doesn't bring an organization like that down, IMO. Oh well, what can ya do? Guess you'll just have to wait for some good ol' fashioned Postal Violence down there at your local station and maybe they'll take out your letter carrier.
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 3, 2004, 08:39 AM

Report the guy. Not only may it be in violation of the guy's work standards, it might also violate Federal postal law -- the Postal Inspector's offices are rather strict, actually.

tooki

King Bob On The Cob  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 07:11 PM

Well I got it before I read here and I really hope not to be going back there for awhile.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2004, 07:26 PM

Heh, just had the same thing happen to me today.
Left the note at the mail box, didn't ring the bell. Now I have to go to the post office monday morning, which means I have to take time off work to go stand in line. I really wanted the stuff today, because it's computer parts for a new system I'm building.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2004, 10:46 PM

my buddy sold a 50 pound Variac on ebay and shipped it USPS, this thing is industrial, built to last and when the guy got it, it was broken snapped in two. Wouldn't you think that they would be careful with a 50 lb package, apparently it went for quite a ride.
( Last edited by G4ME; Jan 4, 2004 at 04:02 AM. )

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

The Ayatollah
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Tehran, reprocessing spent fuel rods for my nuclear weapons programme.
Jan 3, 2004, 11:15 PM

UPS is terrible. USPS has always treated my items well with solid delivery times.

Life in a theocracy is all good for nobody.
My mullahs, we da last ones left.

Forum Links
Forum Rules