Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > OS X 10.4.1 for Intel [LEAKED]

OS X 10.4.1 for Intel [LEAKED]
King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 04:01 AM

I knew it would happen, but damn this was fast.

http://www.shapeofdays.com/2005/06/mac_os_x_on_int.html

and there are torrents going as we speak of what claims to be this file.

yukon
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 04:39 AM

Hi larious.

Actually, somewhat expected, with the developer machines and all. If Apple fights this somehow, expect this build to be hacked every possible way to run on AMD if it doesn't, run indefinitly, and maybe even be updated later on if later versions have protection.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 05:00 AM

oh dear

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 05:02 AM

I give it 'till the end of the month or maybe at worst the first two of july for OS X/x86 to make its way out, even if only in the form of "I don't know you, you don't know me, and this DVD never existed"
Aloha

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2005, 05:25 AM

Can't wait to put it on my Thinkpad.

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 05:51 AM

New it would happen but sad anyways.
( Last edited by storer; Jun 12, 2005 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Typo)

Hash
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 06:27 AM

Great! Allowing piracy and increasing installed market base was and still is a best tested way of software distribution and increase in installed user base. Economics of networks show that this is actually profitable for the company. I am wondering if it was intentional, and i think it was. It is a good way to acquire a lot of testers with computers of different configuration without spending anything on support. I bet Apple guys surfing all possible fora reading opinions of users who installed them. I bet also that no one will really punished for leaking the developer builds ...

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Hash
Great! Allowing piracy and increasing installed market base was and still is a best tested way of software distribution and increase in installed user base. Economics of networks show that this is actually profitable for the company. I am wondering if it was intentional, and i think it was. It is a good way to acquire a lot of testers with computers of different configuration without spending anything on support. I bet Apple guys surfing all possible fora reading opinions of users who installed them. I bet also that no one will really punished for leaking the developer builds ...

ya know what... since the PC version is untested and unproven... WHY THE F*CK NOT LEAK IT?

one reason not to do this is because if there are issues, you're giving OSX a bad name to potential future clients... HOWEVER, ONLY hackers and OS nerds would want this right now!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 08:14 AM

If Apple dosent persue legal action against this underground 'advertisement', they stand to make a tramondous foothold and user base in the Windoes word. You will have a multitude of Windows users, given a free, tasty glimpse of MacOSX, running on their hardware.

What Apple can (and should do) is put it's resources into OSX, ensuring that no future versions (10.4.x+) will NOT run on any other systems, so as to ensure that the Macintel hardware lineup is not thrweatened.

So when those ppl who downloaded the 10.4 illegally want a fully optomized version of OSx-intel, they will invest in hardware.

This(leak of OSX 10.4-intel) could potentially be a very very strong move against Microsoft's dominance in the desktop world.

Cheers.

P.S.>>i dont plan on dpwnloading this thing since i only have me trusty PowerBook G4

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 08:51 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if the leak was ok'd by Apple. This could well be a brilliant marketing move.

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 08:57 AM

It could also be a very stupid thing to do, me thinks. There has to be a better way to do it than this. People are still living on OS X 10.1 so in 4 versions, people will be running MacWintel boxes with 10.4
Graysh.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 08:58 AM

The developer version cannot be updated.

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 09:03 AM

I'm not saying it can, I'm saying that people will still use it in 4 future versions of the OS later... it could really be a long lasting thing.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2005, 09:04 AM

storer's point was that many people don't bother to upgrade anyway. But the people to whom this "leak" will appeal are very geeky, and geeks like upgrading. I don't think it will make too much of a difference either way.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 09:07 AM

Yeah, I suppose. It would be designed for people to upgrade to the latest and greatest actual Macintel.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 12, 2005, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
The developer version cannot be updated.
Brilliant! If true.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 09:10 AM

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 09:10 AM

Not only can it not be upgraded, it also only runs existing software as reduced speed. I would not at all be surprised if this has been leaked straight from Apple.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2005, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
Not only can it not be upgraded, it also only runs existing software as reduced speed. I would not at all be surprised if this has been leaked straight from Apple.
By existing software you mean PPC software, right? If so, then your statement will remain true. I haven't heard anything about this version having a crippled version of the Rosetta engine.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 09:14 AM

If Apple directly leaked it they would have covered it up well, wouldn't they?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 09:18 AM

cue the "i got the intel version but can't install it posts"

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 09:30 AM

Now that Apple is moving onto x86 turf, they're gonna be dealing with some big-league German crackers. I'm sure someone will find a way to get OS X to run on any Intel machine. If it runs on x86, it'll be cracked.

Apple needs to modify their x86 systems a little. They could easily do this by putting proprietary chips on the motherboard, or by using some other piece of special hardware. This would help tremendously to get people who want OS X to actually buy the hardware.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
Apple needs to modify their x86 systems a little. They could easily do this by putting proprietary chips on the motherboard, or by using some other piece of special hardware. This would help tremendously to get people who want OS X to actually buy the hardware.
Maybe Apple has already done that. Does anyone know if this public copy even runs on a PC?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2005, 09:46 AM

It runs on a standard Intel board.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2005, 09:49 AM

wow, that took less time than I expected...
Joe

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 09:58 AM

I predicted this a few days ago, but I didn't think it would be this fast.

That said, some points:
1. If XCode or the GNU tools are included, nothing is preventing anyone from writing drivers to get this to run on ANY Intel and AMD hardware.
2. It really is guerilla marketing. I predicted this too. It's absolutely crucial for Apple to reach as many Intel/AMD users as they possibly can.
3. Everyone is ranting on about how Apple is going to stop pirating to commodity PC hardware with on board encryption etc. I don't think Apple will do anything of the sort.
4. Apple's EULA states that OSX is only allowed to run on Apple hardware. That's the only protection Apple needs.
5. That means Apple will only support Intel based Macs and nothing else.
6. That means that the hacked version will be restricted to the hacker community who would not buy OSX for Intel or an Intel Mac in any case. Business users and home users will still only buy it with Apple hardware for legal and support reasons.
7. At the same time, OSX can spread far and wide and provide a genuine threat to Windows, since the same people who run cracked versions of Windows will run cracked versions of OSX.
8. I doubt Apple is going to invest huge sums of money in encryption technology that can and will be bypassed and cracked in any case. DRM hasn't proven to be particularly successful in the past and nothing has changed there.
9. If anything, Apple will probably only include something in the installer to check that the hardware is from Apple. That is enough for 90% of users to stick with Apple hardware.
weird wabbit

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
I'm sure someone will find a way to get OS X to run on any Intel machine.

Kind of. Don't forget that one of the biggest issues plaguing MS is that their OS has to run on any old PC. If they could ditch support for Jo's home built AMD they probably would have Longhorn out next month.

While you might get OS X to run on your non Apple PC, don't expect it to work.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by theolein
words of wisdom

Hash
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 10:09 AM

I wanna install it on my Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz home PC.. (

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 10:37 AM

Well, looks like in about 4-6 hours, there will be many, many reports of if/how/how well this installed on off the shelf intel hardware, I was talking on IRC with a few people who were getting old hard drives ready to test this puppy out on.

If this is the real deal and this does, in fact, load on a few of the PCs out there (if not most of them) I hope the performance jives with what we heard at the WWDC.

Super Mario
Jun 12, 2005, 11:01 AM

I believe Apple said there are no graphic drivers apart from Intel's new motherboard chip. Also there's the problem of built in system serial number that no other PC can have.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2005, 11:01 AM

And lets not forget that next year Apple will demo Leopard with system requirements up to, say, a 4 year old PowerPC Macs, and on Intel Macs. The Intel Macs will of course be current but their system requirements will probably not be as high as Longhorn. From what I've read about Longhorn it will require some sh!t hot PC to run. If users are going to have to spend so much to upgrade might they not consider a Mac? And especially if they can get OS X to run on their current PC hardware, albeit unofficially.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 11:09 AM

Could this be the mother of all Trojans?

Anyone want to speculate on whether giving unemployed script kiddies a free version of OS X complete with developer tools will herald a wave of security exploits?

I think I'm going to be extra careful with my network for awhile.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by theolein
I predicted this a few days ago, but I didn't think it would be this fast.

That said, some points: (snip)
All strong points and quite believable. This could end up being one of the greatest comeback moves of all times.

But in the end, if all it ever does is keeps us up to date and on the cutting edge with the latest processors, chips, etc and add a few more people to the platform, and of course we still have the Apple OS, I will be happy.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
I believe Apple said there are no graphic drivers apart from Intel's new motherboard chip. Also there's the problem of built in system serial number that no other PC can have.
1. There are a hell of a lot of PCs out there with Intel on board graphics chips.
2. Hacking this leaked system to run on any current x86 system will not be difficult.
3. Don't Panic. It's good marketing for Apple.
weird wabbit

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by f1000
Could this be the mother of all Trojans?

Anyone want to speculate on whether giving unemployed script kiddies a free version of OS X complete with developer tools will herald a wave of security exploits?

I think I'm going to be extra careful with my network for awhile.
Good point. A major stumbling block for any idiot who wanted to dev a virus/trojan/whatever for the Mac, was the fact they had to go out an buy a Mac to get started. With this leak they can instal it, duel boot with there existing OS (whether that be Windows or Linux) hand have a full Apple OSX install (with the same features as on 1000's of existing Mac's) running at "full speed"

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2005, 11:50 AM

anybody try it?
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 12, 2005, 12:19 PM

I can't even figure out how to search for it, let alone download it. And while I'd like to have OS X for my Intel/AMD machines, I'm not willing to submit my hardware to whatever gets "added" by the badguys who host such things. This, my friends, is where the virus writers get their foot in the door...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 12:22 PM

I don't see what the point is. I have a PC with Windows, and it serves its purpose. Why on earth would I want to install a beta OS on it? Oh, must be that whole penis competition thing.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 12:32 PM

I'm seeing the potential for a cheap PC running OS X as a home entertainment server. Who cares if it's ugly? I'd shove it in a closet or a basement anyway.

Hash
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 12:55 PM

Isn't it interesting to see how the beta works and compare it to Tiger on Mac hardware? I am really interested in speed - how fast it runs on, say, my pretty average PC, which is however almost three times faster than my mac? My mac runs Tiger well, despite its age, lets see how it runs on P4..

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2005, 01:43 PM

Although I have PCs in addition to my Macs, I wouldn't mind having one of them run this...but more for building for the future. Like I said in a previous thread if I was eligible for getting the development kit, and I didn't have to return the machines at the end, I would have gladly paid the $999.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2005, 02:49 PM

I don't think this will be that huge. So what if the bittorent fans out there grab OS X. Most of the massive pirates I know wouldn't know what to do with OS X off the hop anyway... I think you're all getting a bit ahead of yourselves. As for viruses... I think script kiddies getting ahold of this will have a LOT of learning to do before they can write any real viruses... though giving them a platform to test for is a bit worrisome...

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2005, 02:50 PM

where does it give u the place to download it. i'm slow
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Can't wait to put it on my Thinkpad.

It's going to be about as usable as Mac OS X developer release 4.

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2005, 03:00 PM

ApplCmptrDood: I'm pretty sure they didn't include a link for a reason...also there will be no link posted here for a similar reason. All I can say is that it's not hard to find, if it is at all the real thing.

Xisiqomelir
Jun 12, 2005, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by ApplCmptrDood
1) Piracy is bad (or at least illegal, and therefore against the forum TOS)

2) You fail at the internet. Reread this thread carefully and you'll probably find what you want.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by ApplCmptrDood

Bit-torrent....

Zach

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Xisiqomelir
2) You fail at the internet.

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2005, 03:16 PM

based on the assumption made by the author of the article, I think this will bring more porters of software into the mix perhaps? I know I'm gonna give it a go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules