Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Expired Password on Windows Network

Expired Password on Windows Network
-Q-
Jan 17, 2006, 12:20 PM

Is there a way to make OS X recognize the 'Your password has expired, you must reset it' command that a Windows 2000 network sends the client when their password has expired?

Currently, whenever my network password expires, I just get a dialogue to enter my password again (as if I mistyped it or something) as opposed to the opportunity to change it, as is offered on a Windows client. Does OS X support password changing in any way for a Windows network? Or am I stuck with purchasing something like ADmitMac to better integrate into the network?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 17, 2006, 09:56 PM

You should know how often your network password expires, right? So set yourself a reminder (using your favorite reminder provider) to change the password a week in advance. Problem solved. My school's webmail doesn't tell you "your password will expire in..." It just expires and you MUST go to one of the computer labs, ID in hand, to get it reset. So I set myself a reminder through Outlook (my school laptop is a Windows machine), and I'm covered.

Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2006, 12:51 PM

No, there seems to be no way. Worse, it seems that you have to connect via a Windows machine to the network to provide a new password upon expiry. At least that's how it was at a recent client site...
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 18, 2006, 11:03 PM

I just tried to change my network password at school using one of the 17" iMacs they recently installed instead of their Gateway PCs. It didn't work. Not at all...

I'm wondering what network service is managing passwords and whether there's one that handles Macs too... but I'm not hopeful.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

-Q-  (op)
Jan 19, 2006, 05:55 PM

Thanks for trying all. I thought I'd hit a dead-end but wanted to be sure. I've downloaded ADmitMac to see if that can handle the password reset, so I'll post what I find out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules