Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The US real estate bust is imminent?

The US real estate bust is imminent? (Page 6)
andi*pandi
Oct 1, 2010, 04:00 PM

dammit, 4%~!!!

we just re-fi for 4.5% and thought that was good!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2010, 04:29 PM

That sounds pretty reasonable for a house in San Fran. Our condo near downtown Toronto was about that much - and we're talking less than 900 sq feet!

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2010, 10:39 PM

I took a 3 year for 3.3% (plus cash back) in the spring. We'll see where interest rates are in 2013. I will either go for a variable then, or else maybe a 1 to 2 year or something. My wild guess is that variable is going to be around prime - 0.8% or so then.

And yeah, I wish decent sized modern detached homes close to downtown Toronto were that cheap. 2-bedroom condos go for $400000 these days.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2010, 10:49 AM

There are two traditional new built family homes for sale just around the corner from my house, in addition they built four modern town houses.

The town houses are actually very beautiful, modern design, huge windows and really quite spacious with three bedrooms, three bathrooms. They're on the market for $849,000.

The family homes look great on the outside, but the way the interior layout works is just awful. Weird stairs, boxy room, no yard, just a terrace above the garage. They're asking close to a million bucks.

By their logic our house should be worth about a million and a half - whereas the real market price is about half that. I am waiting to see for how long they'll be holding out before dropping the price.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2010, 11:16 AM

There're some brand new town houses around the corner from me for $750,000. Just down the street, you can buy a detached house for $400,000. I'm trying to figure out the advantage to a glorified apartment over a house.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2011, 10:12 PM

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2011, 10:18 PM

65%+ share of GDP? Queue the Sad Trombone, eh!
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Jun 25, 2011 at 10:27 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2011, 10:37 PM

But, but, but, BUT, Canuckistan has no real estate bubble. It's unpossible.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2011, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

-t

Care to run by your definition of trolling again?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2011, 11:33 PM

Nah, you're doing just fine. Nice derail though.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2011, 11:37 PM

Nah, you're doing just fine. Nice derail though.

-t

I just hope you'll make a mental note of this the next time you want to play the trolling card. I'm not trying to pick a fight with you about this, I'm just wondering whether we have different ideas as to what trolling actually is.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2011, 07:55 AM

-t
Canada, as a country, doesn't. What is happening is that a bunch of outliers are pushing the average. Vancouver is particularly to blame here, but bizarrely places like Yellowknife are also experiencing sky-high prices - resource
prices are responsible there, next time they'll crash they will bring real estate prices out there back down again. Toronto is growing steadily with no let up in sight, but if anything house prices here are still below the global average for comparable cities.

But if you leave the urban, and sometimes not so urban, centers where these spikes are occurring then you'll find that prices are way lower than the average on your graph.
( Last edited by Phileas; Jun 26, 2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Sloppy spelling)

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2011, 08:48 AM

Personally I think Toronto is overpriced, even if it's nowhere near as overpriced as Vancouver.

However, as to why Canada is overpriced, I don't think the US makes for a good parallel.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
However, as to why Canada is overpriced, I don't think the US makes for a good parallel.
What do you mean by that ?

-t

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2011, 10:57 AM

What do you mean by that ?
A very large part of the reason for the huge and fast runup in the US was due to extremely sketchy mortgage approval practices, with the end result being that the subprime market in the US was an order of magnitude higher than in Canada.

I suspect one of the reasons of this is because in Canada the vast majority of the mortgages are actually held by the original lending institutions until the mortgage contract is terminated, which probably means the lenders are more inclined to do their due diligence (even if it doesn't always work). Canadian banks are traditionally more conservative than American banks anyway, partially because of government oversight but also because it was just the it is. The banking cultures were just traditionally different.

In Toronto, prices have been stoked along by record low interest rates, and by the introduction of longer amortization periods. In the past it was 25 years, and then it was increased to 40 years, but the government got nervous and reduced it to 35 years and then 30 years in 2011. Furthermore, qualification rules have been further tightened up, requiring approval at the 5-year fixed rate or else for shorter terms, the 5-year posted fixed rate (which is higher than the usual 5-year discounted rate). IOW, if you want a 3-year variable rate mortgage, you have to qualify at the 5-year posted fixed rate, which is a much, much higher rate, or else you won't get your mortgage. This is to ensure that there is some level of cushion in the system, should interest rates rise.

So, Toronto's prices have shifted beyond the long term price trend curve, which IMO may suggest that prices are too high by as much as 10-15%, but there is downward pressure on those prices because of the mortgage rate and amortization restrictions imposed by the federal government. Their goal is to put a cap on price increases, and I suspect that once interest rates rise, price increases will slow significantly.

Will prices drop? Quite possibly, but the drop would likely be more gradual, since what's missing from the equation here is ginormous sub-prime market.

What about Vancouver? The situation there is quite a bit worse. A much larger proportion of the market seems to be from foreign (Chinese) investors. A lot of people have been parking their money in Vancouver - there is rampant speculation in Vancouver. This also exists in Toronto, but the numbers and anecdotal evidence from the mortgage industry suggests that it's less severe than in Vancouver. This is not surprising since while prices may have gone up say 25-30% since 2005 in Toronto (or 4-5% per year since 2005), they've gone up much, much more than that in Vancouver.

The question is if and how, and when, Toronto pricing will normalize to the traditional price curve. The intent of the government's intervention is to create a soft landing. That is a possibility if employment remains strong, but there is no guarantee of this. I said above that I think Toronto price may be around 10-15% too high. It is quite possible a drop could come quickly, but unfortunately for Toronto, a drop can often overshoot the trend. Nonetheless, the downward pressures in Canada, although present, aren't the same types of downward pressures that existed in the US.

I had gone through some of the numbers and I'm guessing if variable and fixed rates go up by >4 percentage points in the next 3 years, it will be a disaster for the Canadian market with significant price drops. If variable and fixed rates go up by <2 percentage points in the next 3 years, it will be business as usual. However, if it's between 2 and 4 then this would mean either flatlining of prices with possible drops in real prices after correcting for inflation, or else some outright price drops in nominal dollars.
( Last edited by Eug; Jun 26, 2011 at 11:14 AM. )

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2011, 10:43 PM

These are the most recent numbers from Teranet, which only considers homes that are resold during a time period, so it's a very good apples vs. apples comparison. The drawback is that since it only considers resold homes, the sales counts considered is an order of magnetude lower than the overall market. June 2005 is arbitrarily set as the index, at 100.

Canada
June 2005: 100.00
April 2010: 134.55
April 2011: 140.47 (+4.40% yoy)

Vancouver
April 2010: 153.40
April 2011: 162.26 (+5.78% yoy)

Toronto
April 2010: 121.64
April 2011: 126.62 (+4.09% yoy)

These numbers illustrate one reason why I'm a lot more worried about the Vancouver market imploding than I am for the Toronto market. BTW, the index of ~127 for 2011 means that Toronto pricing is roughly 14% more than what it was when I bought my house almost 4 years ago, and roughly 80% more than it was when I bought my condo 12 years ago.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2011, 03:03 AM

Interesting...what is Eug Wanker's take on this?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2011, 02:19 PM

As of today, interest rates are slightly up. Bank profits are sharply down, mainly because Canadians seem to have switched from spending to saving - no link, just listened to the CBC.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2011, 03:36 PM

It just always fascinated me how countries with HUGE landmass (like the US and Canada) could have property prices going up so much. It's not that there isn't enough land, it's government regulation and redtape that contributes to higher prices.

It's also the reason why I stay clear of real estate. 95% of the prices are directly influenced by the government, either through regulation on building codes and zoning laws, influencing bank policies (up to outright nationalizing the mortgage market like in the US), and last but not least, directly fiddling with interest rates with the sole purpose to keep prices up. There is almost NOTHING in the real estate market that's really related to a honest, free market.

-t

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2011, 09:54 PM

People go and live where people want to go and live. Many of us are attracted to the bright lights of the big cities, which is when the laws of supply and demand kick in. Not sure how the government would be able to influence that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
People go and live where people want to go and live. Many of us are attracted to the bright lights of the big cities, which is when the laws of supply and demand kick in. Not sure how the government would be able to influence that.
Uhm, yeah, I gave plenty of examples:

Building codes and zoning can be used to stifle supply, hence driving up prices.
Liberal zoning will create a lot of new homes to be built, driving prices down.

Also, interest rates for mortgages directly influence the value of homes.
Interest goes up, homes prices go down.

-t

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2011, 10:52 PM

… .
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Jan 5, 2024 at 12:58 AM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 09:47 AM

Going to bump this for a quiz.

This property is for sale near the Smoky Mountains area; 5 bedrooms, 4 baths, huge furnished professional-style kitchen, large formal dining room, furnished home theater, 6 car garage, in-ground pool, tennis/basketball court, >9000 sq/ft of living space, on 7 acres, and only 1 mile from a popular recreational lake.

5470/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Guess what it can be purchased for right now. Oh, I'll help a little, after it was built (not too long ago) it sold for almost $3M.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Guess what it can be purchased for right now. Oh, I'll help a little, after it was built (not too long ago) it sold for almost $3M.
$1.5M

But, I don't see anywhere in the sales history for that property that it ever sold for anything near $3M.
07/01/2005 Sold $134,900
2005-2010 Improvements $1,299,700
07/24/2010 Listed for sale $1,895,000
09/03/2010 Price change $1,699,000
01/16/2011 Listed for sale $1,599,900
08/14/2011 Listed for sale $1,599,900
01/15/2012 Listed for sale $1,499,999
07/12/2012 Listing removed

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 01:44 PM

Actually, I heard it was almost $3M right after construction, not sure when that was, but likely some time after 2005, since at the time it was just property.

Thanks for cheating and ruining the game, though. You see where I asked people to guess, not look up the thing on Tineye? Much appreciated.

My point was, it's shocking that you can get that much for $1.3M, which is what it was offered to me for. I don't think there is anywhere else in the country where you can get so much for so little.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2012, 02:13 PM

That house is garish and ugly, like the person who designed it fell asleep watching Dracula movies.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
That house is garish and ugly, like the person who designed it fell asleep watching Dracula movies.
I was kind of thinking the same thing, and why is it that everybody's idea of a dream home seems to be something crazy big? For generations we have been building castles and actually living in a fraction of that space. I think part of this sort of thing is just done because the buyer can.

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Sep 9, 2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The stonework is especially weird. I'd pass.
are you lightfooted?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 02:22 PM

It's brick with stonework. I think it's okay, but they should have just stuck with stone for the whole thing.
- Thomas Paine

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 02:23 PM

Well, if you don't know the area, it's pretty hard to guess.

Anyways, if you like the place, then buy it. In a nice neighbourhood around here, $1.3 million gets you a nice two storey 2500 square foot home.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2012, 02:29 PM

Thanks for cheating and ruining the game, though. You see where I asked people to guess, not look up the thing on Tineye? Much appreciated. .
Sorry for ruining your game, but you ruined it from the start when you incorrectly said that it sold for $3M not long after it was build.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2012, 03:03 PM

It's brick with stonework. I think it's okay, but they should have just stuck with stone for the whole thing.
It's just an orgy of different architectural styles, the mismatched stonework being one of those. I'm sure it's very nice inside, but it ain't my cup of tea, that's for sure.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Sorry for ruining your game, but you ruined it from the start when you incorrectly said that it sold for $3M not long after it was build.
I'm looking at the actual report for that property right now and it was priced at 2.8M. That's beside the fact, however. I was wanting to look at opinions from other areas to see how much others would guess, based on what they've seen. Much appreciated.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Well, if you don't know the area, it's pretty hard to guess.
Anyways, if you like the place, then buy it. In a nice neighbourhood around here, $1.3 million gets you a nice two storey 2500 square foot home.
See? That's actually somewhat interesting.

No, I'm not considering the property. Relatively speaking, however, it is a very good value. Nice neighborhood, too.
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2012, 03:33 PM

I'm looking at the actual report for that property right now and it was priced at 2.8M.
Value estimate or actual sale price?

I was wanting to look at opinions from other areas to see how much others would guess, based on what they've seen. Much appreciated.
That's somewhat difficult, since, as you know, property value can vary *significantly* by area.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 03:56 PM

Value estimate or actual sale price?
Pre-sale valuation.

That's somewhat difficult, since, as you know, property value can vary *significantly* by area.
That's the point.
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2012, 04:10 PM

Property markets are weird. Where I live you can get say a 5 bedroom place with a modest 'back yard' and probably a driveway and double garage for about £300K-400K depending on how old/nice the building is and which village its in. There was one I spotted for sale a few months back which was a lovely old place big enough to house 3 average sized families, in a nice village, had workshops and other outbuildings and stood in 27 acres or so and it was only about £650K. You could chop three acres off and build three houses on them and sell those off and easily pay for the whole property. Assuming you could get planning permission.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2012, 04:22 PM

Pre-sale valuation.
And, you don't see a difference between "pre-sale valuation" and "after it was built (not too long ago) it sold for almost $3M"
To me, one is based entirely on speculation of what someone *might* pay for the property while the other is conclusive proof of what someone *did* pay for the property.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2012, 04:44 PM

The house next door at 313 is also for sale.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/313-Morning-Mist-Ln-Franklin-TN-37064/66945369_zpid/

What's interesting about this house?
  • It's currently listed at $1.25M (the last listing for 315 was $1.5M)
  • Unlike 315, the owners of 313 tried to sell the house in July, 2008 (before the real-estate crash)
  • In July, 2008, they tried (unsuccessfully) to sell the house for $1.67M, meaning that they've dropped their asking price by 25% since before the crash. Unlike the house at 315, which you claim has dropped in value by 50% since it's pre-sale valuation.

What does this tell me? Either you were misled when told that it was worth $3M, or it was unrealistically over-valued at that time. Either way, I don't believe that house was *ever* worth $3M.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 04:58 PM

And here (in Toronto), that house that Shaddim posted, in an exclusive neighbourhood would be $5-10 million.

BTW, in one expensive neighbourhood near I work, I stopped looking when one 1-storey house I looked at had a teardown price of $1.5 million. And that was 5 years ago, with prices 30% higher now. Ouch. I looked elsewhere, where the lots were bigger and actually the view was better, but the commute was much further. Still within 30 mins of my workplace though.

And yep, someone bought that $1.5 million place, and tore it down to build built a huge modern home. It's now worth many millions, but I'm not sure how much because I don't think it was ever put on the market after that. My guess is the build cost alone (including builder's profit) was north of $1.5 million though.

They've been predicting that the Canadian real estate bust is imminent for years now, but those uber low mortgage rates have keep sales decent and prices up. And over the course of the last 5 years they've tightened up lending rules even more than they were in the past so a humungous crash is less likely, although a pullback is a definite possibility.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 05:01 PM

[*] In July, 2008, they tried (unsuccessfully) to sell the house for $1.67M, meaning that they've dropped their asking price by 25% since before the crash.
That's still a lot, given that real estate does never go down.

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 05:03 PM

And, you don't see a difference between "pre-sale valuation" and "after it was built (not too long ago) it sold for almost $3M"
To me, one is based entirely on speculation of what someone *might* pay for the property while the other is conclusive proof of what someone *did* pay for the property.
Impossible to know the exact price, it wasn't recorded because it was a private sale. Likely it was fairly close.
- Thomas Paine

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 05:06 PM

BTW, I think I mentioned it before but... I think the prior sale price on the home I eventually bought was the lowest ever recorded in recent times. It was just a couple of bux... cuz it was a gift. It made price evaluation for the home when I was looking at the place that much harder.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2012, 05:12 PM

That's still a lot, given that real estate does never go down.
-t
Absolutely. But it's not nearly as dramatic as $3M down to $1.5M.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2012, 05:14 PM

Impossible to know the exact price, it wasn't recorded because it was a private sale. Likely it was fairly close.
In which case, I believe the private sale buyers got taken for a ride, given the pre-crash, unsold, listed price of the only-slightly-smaller-and-slightly-less-ostentatious house next door. I can't see the house at 315 being worth $3M when the house at 313 couldn't even sell for $1.67.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 05:27 PM

The house next door at 313 is also for sale.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/313-Morning-Mist-Ln-Franklin-TN-37064/66945369_zpid/
What's interesting about this house?
  • It's currently listed at $1.25M (the last listing for 315 was $1.5M)
  • Unlike 315, the owners of 313 tried to sell the house in July, 2008 (before the real-estate crash)
  • In July, 2008, they tried (unsuccessfully) to sell the house for $1.67M, meaning that they've dropped their asking price by 25% since before the crash. Unlike the house at 315, which you claim has dropped in value by 50% since it's pre-sale valuation.
What does this tell me? Either you were misled when told that it was worth $3M, or it was unrealistically over-valued at that time. Either way, I don't believe that house was *ever* worth $3M.
Because both houses are identical, right? I'll admit that I don't know for a fact that the price was that high, being a private sale, and you can admit you were a horse-apple and **** on the discussion I was trying to start.
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2012, 06:23 PM

Because both houses are identical, right? I'll admit that I don't know for a fact that the price was that high, being a private sale
They're fairly similar; same lot size, almost as many bedrooms, almost equally lavish inside (if the photos are to be believed), 315 is 1,400 sq ft (18%) larger. If you know anything about real-estate (which I believe you do), you know that the value of a house is based largely on similar houses around it. 313 is quite similar to 315. Unless 315 has a solid gold staircase, I don't believe it's 18% greater size makes it worth 100% more in July, 2008 than 313.

313 Morning Mist Ln
Beds: 6
Baths: 9
Sqft: 7,782
Lot: 15,681 sq ft / 0.36 acres
Type: Single Family
Year built: 2007

315 Morning Mist Ln
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/315-Morning-Mist-Ln-Franklin-TN-37064/66945368_zpid/
Beds: 7
Baths: 7
Sqft: 9,180
Lot: 15,000 sq ft / 0.34 acres
Year built: 2006

and you can admit you were a horse-apple and **** on the discussion I was trying to start.
The conversation you were trying to start seemed to be "OMG! The 1%ers have also been hurt pretty hard by the real-estate crash! Look at how much value this $3M home has lost!". I'm simply trying to point out that I don't believe this house was ever truly worth $3M and that, while it has indeed lost value, the loss isn't nearly as dramatic as you wanted your discussion to make it out to be.

Don't get upset just because the conversation didn't go the way you wanted it to, once facts were brought into it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 10:52 PM

The conversation you were trying to start seemed to be "OMG! The 1%ers have also been hurt pretty hard by the real-estate crash! Look at how much value this $3M home has lost!"
You know what, GET THE **** OVER IT!

You can take your sensitivity over wealth, and adding stupid shit that I wasn't even thinking at the time, and stick it right up your ass. I brought this up to show how "hey, there are some good values out there", you know, just have a friendly conversation. But you just decide to manipulate the hell out of everything, drag your stupid ass politics and bias into it, and use it as a way to irritate me. Well, good show, it worked. Wanker.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2012, 01:40 AM

In all fairness, you apparently started out your (factual) discussion by supplying completely incorrect facts. So.....someone has called you on it, and now you're getting pissy with them?

Does TN have anything as modern as a public housing registry? If so it'd be easy enough to figure out the selling prices, private sale or no. If you're actually looking at buying this property, you must have that information on hand, right? Scan it in for us to show the $3 million sale price, then....

Where I live, that house would be worth a couple million, if that. 4 hours drive away, it would probably be worth much less than it is in a Nashville 'burb - but no one would build it or buy it, of course. Everything's relative.

Not my cup of tea, though - houses squashed together, looks just like a regular suburb except everything is 60% bigger and 60% finer, but apparently only 40% more expensive. So I guess there's that.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2012, 04:34 AM

You know what, GET THE **** OVER IT!
You can take your sensitivity over wealth, and adding stupid shit that I wasn't even thinking at the time, and stick it right up your ass. I brought this up to show how "hey, there are some good values out there", you know, just have a friendly conversation. But you just decide to manipulate the hell out of everything, drag your stupid ass politics and bias into it, and use it as a way to irritate me. Well, good show, it worked. Wanker.
In a thread discussing how people are losing their shirts as a result of the real estate crash, you want to discuss "hey, there are some good values out there"? In that case, I would have been clear about that from the start ... or started up a completely different thread.

Forum Links
Forum Rules