Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Transmission died on 5 day old car

Transmission died on 5 day old car
bstone
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 01:55 PM

This past Thursday evening I drove home in a used 99 Taurus SE Wagon. First night I noticed the power steering wasnt working right, so I brought it back Friday and they "fixed it".

Sunday night I get into the car for a road trip and within one hour knew the power steering problem was back. Stopped for the night, brought it to a Ford dealership Monday morning and they fixed it to the tune of $80.

I continue my drive across country from Chicago to Boston and about 50 miles West of Boston I see the "service engine soon" light come on. Stop at an Auto Zone, read the code and it comes up as too much slippage from the tranny.

The tranny is going on my 5 day old Taurus.

Fortunately for me, the used car dealer (CarMax: Warning: Outdated web browser) gives a 30 warranty. This also means that my new car will have been in the shop three times within a week or ownership.

Aamco quoted me $2250 for a new transmission. I asked them to go through the car with a fine tooth comb. This Aamco does regular car work as well as transmissions.

Frustrating.....
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2007, 02:02 PM

Agreed. Annoying as hell.

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2007, 02:06 PM

Sorry to hear that, I know how frustrating that can be. ;-(

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 02:12 PM

Tecnically, it's not a 5 day old car... but, I'm sorry. Return it.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2007, 02:22 PM

Yeah, he meant 8 year and 5 day old car. Sorry.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 02:23 PM

The car is a "certified pre-owned" vehicle. It's less than a week old to me, still under warranty and is a piece of junk. Totally.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
Never heard anything good about those generation of Taurus's.
I confirm.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 20, 2007, 02:25 PM

Never heard anything good about those generation of Taurus's.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2007, 02:28 PM

Aamco, They specialize in $2000+ quotes.

There's racing transmissions with high performance internals for less than that!
ice

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2007, 02:40 PM

Sorry to hear.

One would like to hope this was a bad coincidence. Others may say it's a Ford, what do you expect.

-t

Rumor

Can you get a different vehicle? Having the tranny go out within five days of owning it is a very bad sign.

If you keep it, be ready for more problems.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Aamco, They specialize in $2000+ quotes.

There's racing transmissions with high performance internals for less than that!
It's under warranty. I am not paying a penny for this.

Rumor
Jun 20, 2007, 02:41 PM

Can you get a different vehicle? Having the tranny go out within five days of owning it is a very bad sign.

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post

That is my goal right now. I hope to return the car and get a different one.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 05:52 PM

Don't buy Ford.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 20, 2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
That is my goal right now. I hope to return the car and get a different one.
Hope it works out for ya! Is it a Ford only dealership? Because I'd look in to a Impala (2000+) over those Taurus's.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 08:10 PM

In addition to the tranny, the manager from Aamco called me and said that the oil pan is almost entirely rusted through and needs a new pan and gasket. Also said the rear shocks are in terrible shape and must be replaced.

Lovely. Some 150 point inspection.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 10:38 PM

i say buy a honda never buy american
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

anonymac
Baninated
Jun 21, 2007, 02:23 AM

buy a honda?

Hondas and other asian cars are junk, ugly, disposable cars that only have a 5 year lifespan. And they're made for really short asian people.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 21, 2007, 08:40 AM

(wacist pic here)

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by anonymac View Post
buy a honda?

Hondas and other asian cars are junk, ugly, disposable cars that only have a 5 year lifespan. And they're made for really short asian people.
I am intrigued and wish to know more.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 09:23 AM

add sugar and you have lemonade.

finboy
Jun 21, 2007, 09:58 AM

This past Thursday evening I drove home in a used 99 Taurus SE Wagon. First night I noticed the power steering wasnt working right, so I brought it back Friday and they "fixed it".

Sunday night I get into the car for a road trip and within one hour knew the power steering problem was back. Stopped for the night, brought it to a Ford dealership Monday morning and they fixed it to the tune of $80.

I continue my drive across country from Chicago to Boston and about 50 miles West of Boston I see the "service engine soon" light come on. Stop at an Auto Zone, read the code and it comes up as too much slippage from the tranny.

The tranny is going on my 5 day old Taurus.

Fortunately for me, the used car dealer (CarMax: Warning: Outdated web browser) gives a 30 warranty. This also means that my new car will have been in the shop three times within a week or ownership.

Aamco quoted me $2250 for a new transmission. I asked them to go through the car with a fine tooth comb. This Aamco does regular car work as well as transmissions.

Frustrating.....
Taurus transmissions are frustrating. How many miles did it have on it (mine died at like 129k or so)?

AAMCO is a good bunch in most places, but you have to be careful -- check BBB. The price sounds about right, and you'll have a national warranty.

Depending upon the age of the car, you should consider having the timing belt replaced. That's one thing you don't want to have go out, b/c it will usually bake the whole engine.

Sounds like you should ask about the Lemon Law in your state. You may be able to just get a different vehicle -- this one isn't working out for you.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 21, 2007, 10:11 AM

buy a honda?

Would like to hear your opinion on american cars

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
Would like to hear your opinion on american cars
Quick, someone unban ca$h and only let him in this thread.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2007, 12:06 PM

buy a honda?

You forgot the [/sarcasm] tags.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 12:11 PM

Don't you mean [/idiot] tags?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Don't you mean [/gayboy] tags?
Fixed™

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 12:23 PM

Gentlemen, I'd prefer not to have this thread closed. I'd like it for you to take the personal bickering to a thread which isn't about the transmission dying on my 5 day old car.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2007, 12:28 PM

Sorry for the derail.

Back on topic I'd say ditch the Taurus as soon as you can, I've heard nothing good about late 90s Tauruses (Tauri?) and your story only solidifies the fact that this car will give you nothing but problems.

Try to find an Accord Wagon from the same year with comparable mileage, you'll pay more at first, but you won't have to deal with garbage like this*

*Most likely, any car can break down.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 12:28 PM

Seriously though, can you return it? Some places allow this within 30 days.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2007, 12:39 PM

Gentlemen, I'd prefer not to have this thread closed. I'd like it for you to take the personal bickering to a thread which isn't about the transmission dying on my 5 day old car.
Your car, once again, is not a 5 day old car; it is an eight year old car. For some bizarre reason, you seem to think you can twist the truth because you had an unfortunate experience within a very short time frame after making a major purchase. Your thread title, and your attempt to repeat it, is disingenuous and misleading. You bought an old piece of junk, and it died; those are the facts. Whether it's a week old to you is irrelevant. Denial is not the river in Egypt.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Sounds like you should ask about the Lemon Law in your state. You may be able to just get a different vehicle -- this one isn't working out for you.
This is an eight year old used car; AFAIK, there are no lemon laws on the planet that would cover that.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
Seriously though, can you return it? Some places allow this within 30 days.
With this type of major failure I've got think its a distinct possibility. And especially after less than a week. I'd raise a ****-storm with them.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
This is an eight year old used car; AFAIK, there are no lemon laws on the planet that would cover that.
Wrong, any car not sold 'as is' is subject to lemon laws...even a 13 year-old vehicle.

Once a car is sold 'as is' it is your problem, though usually you only see that with a private seller and not a dealership.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Wrong, any car not sold 'as is' is subject to lemon laws...even a 13 year-old vehicle.

Once a car is sold 'as is' it is your problem, though usually you only see that with a private seller and not a dealership.
Actually, that depends on what state you're in. I just did some quick checking, and in my state, MI, there is no lemon law for used cars. According to bstone's post, he lives in Massachussetts, so here's the lemon laws for that state. We're both partially correct.

Lemon Law Used
( Last edited by OldManMac; Jun 21, 2007 at 01:35 PM. )

Kevin83165
Jun 21, 2007, 01:37 PM

That era of Taurus (and other models that utilized the same transmission) had problems. A piece of gasket that is too large comes loose inside the transmission and plugs the fluid port. As a Ford mechanic for several years, I saw them fail left and right, even when they were almost new. As with any evil, however, comes a bit of good. The 3.8 liter motor in those cars were pretty good overall.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2007, 01:53 PM

Your car, once again, is not a 5 day old car; it is an eight year old car...
Nine if you count the fact that it was in all likelihood manufactured in early to mid '98 as a '99 model year.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 01:55 PM

Found On Road Dead

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Nine if you count the fact that it was in all likelihood manufactured in early to mid '98 as a '99 model year.
Picky, picky.

Unfortunately, what happened to bstone is not that unusual. He also seems to not have practiced due diligence when buying the car, as a cursory inspection would have revealed the bad rear shocks and a rusted oil pan. When buying an old used car you take your chances, especially if you didn't do your homework.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 02:21 PM

Your car, once again, is not a 5 day old car; it is an eight year old car. For some bizarre reason, you seem to think you can twist the truth because you had an unfortunate experience within a very short time frame after making a major purchase. Your thread title, and your attempt to repeat it, is disingenuous and misleading. You bought an old piece of junk, and it died; those are the facts. Whether it's a week old to you is irrelevant. Denial is not the river in Egypt.
OldMan is a suiting name. The car is 5 days old TO ME. It is also a "certified pre-owned" vehicle, with a warranty from the dealer.

Aamco just called and stated I would be getting an exchanged, rebuilt tranmission with torque converter,fluid, labor; oil pan, gasket, 5 qt oil, 2 rear shocks, fuel filter=
Parts: 2133.94
Labor: $1011.50
Subtotal: 3145.44
Tax: 106.70
Total: $3252.14

finboy
Jun 21, 2007, 02:24 PM

OldMan is a suiting name. The car is 5 days old TO ME. It is also a "certified pre-owned" vehicle, with a warranty from the dealer.
And Carmax is a national brand. I don't know if they'll pay the AAMCO bill (they may want to get it fixed their way) but the warranty is a good thing to have here.

Oh, and the 3.8 V6 is a kick-a$$ engine. My Taurus had the police chip, and I kept torquing out motor mounts, even though I drove like a grandma. That with 180k on it. I drove the wheels off of that car, what a great car. Of course, it was a '94, so the models were a little different. That engine was in perfect shape when I handed the car off to my brother. He put another 50k on it -- he's a Ford mechanic though.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 03:07 PM

So after all these repairs I am curious if you all think I should still keep the car. Since the tranny is being replaced and all is basically new and under warranty. They have checked the engine out from end to end and everything is basically in good condition. At least one Ford mechanic here has said the engine is a good one.

Interested in hearing your opinions. Please leave personal attacks and bickering out of and further responses.

andi*pandi
Jun 21, 2007, 03:12 PM

have you talked to the original dealer? I wouldn't be getting the repairs done unless they've said they'll cover it--certified or no.

OreoCookie
Jun 21, 2007, 03:29 PM

Aamco just called and stated I would be getting an exchanged, rebuilt tranmission with torque converter,fluid, labor; oil pan, gasket, 5 qt oil, 2 rear shocks, fuel filter=
Parts: 2133.94
Labor: $1011.50
Subtotal: 3145.44
Tax: 106.70
Total: $3252.14
So the dealer will cover these expenses?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
So the dealer will cover these expenses?
Yes. All of them. Car is still under warranty.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2007, 04:05 PM

OldMan is a suiting name. The car is 5 days old TO ME.

No need to get upset because I called out your obvious intent to deceive. It doesn't matter that it's only 5 days old to you. That has nothing to do with the car being old and more liable to break. Your thread title says the car is only 5 days old. That's misleading. You're also no doubt mad at yourself for not having checked into the mechanical condition of the car before you bought it. I would be kicking myself if I had bought an old junker without looking at it. Don't blame for your mistakes.

Edit: If the car were 5 days old and it was new, you'd have something to bitch about. As it is, you paid your nickel and took your chance, and now you're fortunate that someone else is going to pay the bill.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 04:09 PM

No need to get upset because I called out your obvious intent to deceive.
Uggg...

Originally Posted by bstone
Please leave personal attacks and bickering out of and further responses.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2007, 04:48 PM

No need to get upset because I called out your obvious intent to deceive. It doesn't matter that it's only 5 days old to you. That has nothing to do with the car being old and more liable to break. Your thread title says the car is only 5 days old. That's misleading. You're also no doubt mad at yourself for not having checked into the mechanical condition of the car before you bought it. I would be kicking myself if I had bought an old junker without looking at it. Don't blame for your mistakes.

Edit: If the car were 5 days old and it was new, you'd have something to bitch about. As it is, you paid your nickel and took your chance, and now you're fortunate that someone else is going to pay the bill.
He said in the first post how old the car actually is. Maybe he could have titled the thread "Transmission died on car I owned for 5 days" but that still leaves it open to interpretation, doesn't it? How about "I bought a 1999 car that was supposedly certified pre-owned and now the transmission is gone after only 5 days"? Would that be good enough to put the issue to rest? I'll change the subject if it'll make you happy.

I don't see how an ambiguous thread title is an attempt to deceive anyone, given that he discloses the age of the vehicle in the first post. And what exactly would the purpose of this perceived deception be? What could he possibly hope to gain by deceiving the members of a mac forum about his vehicle and the subsequent problem he had with it? Just let it go. Please and thank you.
Nemo me impune lacesset

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 05:03 PM

Thank you, ThinkInsane. I appreciate all you say.

Back to the topic at hand: Since the dealer will pay for all the above listed repairs, what do you all think about me keeping the car? I can return it for the price I paid, but I am curious about the possibility of keeping it. I am open to all discussion and suggestions (as long as it does not contain bickering or personal attacks).

Forum Links
Forum Rules