Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Got a PS3, now what?

Got a PS3, now what?
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 02:05 PM

Get the Planet Earth series on Blu-Ray.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 02:06 PM

Wow, what the hell happened there?

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 02:07 PM

Haha apparently I am able to post IN THE PAST!!!

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 02:07 PM

Well well well…

I do not comprehend how they do this, but a major retailer here in Germany (MediaMarkt) gives a 25% rebate on anything over 200 €. So I went out and gots me a Playstation 3 Entertainment Pack (PS3, Wireless Controller, BT Remote Control, Uncharted, SpiderMan 3 Movie).

Normal price would have been 459,- €, I paid 345,- €. Sweet. I also got MGS4.

So, What can I do with a nice PS3 beyond the obvious? I have it hooked up to my LCD-TV and via toslink to my B&W Zeppelin.

Seeing that it is quite a powerful beast, what are you guys doing with all that spare power sitting around in the living room?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 02:13 PM

You can use it to stream video's, music and pictures from your mac. It is also one of the best upconverting DVD player out there.

As for games get GTA, Ratchet and Clank & Drakes Fortune.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 02:14 PM

I see the server is as happy as usual.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 02:17 PM

Metal Gear Solid 4
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 02:20 PM

Get a tennis game. Virtua Tennis 3 is out and I believe Top Spin 3 was just released last week over there.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 02:30 PM

i had a lot of fun with drake's fortune; ready for the sequel. i'm doing GTA4 right now. i also have the new hot shots and tiger woods 08 (was a huge fan of the original hot shots on the original playstation...if only they would come out with a new destruction derby and updated Crash Bandicoot too). dumping tiger woods 08 this weekend as the new one comes out in a few months; probably already waited too long for the best return, but i will deal. next few games i will look into are Vampire Rain and Ghostbusters (thanksgiving i think).

other than those few games; i got it for the player. have around 30 blu-ray movies now and indeed; the upconversion of normal DVDs looks great.

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 02:41 PM

Get a Netflix subscription. Blu-Ray movies are expensive but you can rent them just like regular DVDs if you have Netflix. My dad has saved lots of money by getting a subscription with them - he used to buy all the movies he wanted to see.

iMac13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2008, 12:13 AM

Gran Turismo 5 : Prolouge

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by iMac13 View Post
Gran Turismo 5 : Prolouge
Ya if you like paying $40 for a demo.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2008, 01:07 PM

They have a $15 gift card offer if you get GT5: Prolouge at Amazon if anyone is interested though.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Gift Card Offer

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 01:18 PM

$25 for a demo, much more reasonable.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2008, 03:00 PM

Keep in mind that downloadable games have about ZERO resale value.

I'd rather have a disk I can sell when I am sick of it.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2008, 02:08 PM

Bump. My 80 GB MGS4 bundle is about to be shipped, so I'd like suggestions for games to get while I'm waiting for Rock Band 2 to come out. I'll almost certainly get some form of Tekken, either a PS2 disc or the downloadable one.

Suggestions for downloads or PS2 games are welcome, especially since I can pick up a handful of the latter used for the price of one new PS3 game. I haven't been much of a gamer in the last few years, so it's hard to specify genres.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2008, 05:53 PM

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - Must buy
Grand Theft Auto IV - Must Buy
Warhawk - If you like online MMO styled games
Rainbow Six: Vegas - If you like tactical shooters
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - If you are into large scale RPGs
Assassins Creed - Everyone seems to have a love or hate for this one. I enjoyed it, personally.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2008, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm not into large scale RPGs. I'm about to be in grad school, so I'm not going to have tons of time for gaming, and it seems like RPGs get really frustrating if you go a week without playing. Most of the things that have piqued my interest are fighters and platformers, since they're easy to just pick up and play.

Given that the only consoles I've owned before were a Sega Genesis and a Wii, it's so easy to just get blown away by the graphics when I see PS3 games. So I'm trying to read reviews and get suggestions to avoid the inevitable nice-looks/crap-gameplay choices out there.

Alex601
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2008, 10:20 AM

I say sell it and get some dollars. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmvcP71A-Wk that video explains why.

Edit: But if you decide to keep it i would say your only option is MGS 4 and god of war 4 or what ever number they are at to get that one. I heard the sony press conference went really bad at E3.
iBook g4 - 800MHz Power Pc G4 - 640 MB

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 10:56 AM

I don't know, that youtube video was pretty long and boring. Plus, the console war thread is thattaway.

I've already ordered the PS3 and I'm looking forward to it. And there are already lots of games I'm interested in, besides MGS4 and GoW3 (I don't even know if I care about those so much). I'm just here for suggestions on narrowing down the list.

Oh yeah, while I'm back here: how do folks stream media from their Macs to PS3? MediaLink? Something else? And is there a way to get a Mac to stream media that are saved on a Time Capsule, other network share, or external HD?

Thanks.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Oh yeah, while I'm back here: how do folks stream media from their Macs to PS3? MediaLink? Something else? And is there a way to get a Mac to stream media that are saved on a Time Capsule, other network share, or external HD?

Thanks.
I use MediaLink and it streams off my Time Capsule no problem but it has to go though a computer first obviously.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 11:58 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I've got this and it functions.

If you also have an 360, or a Kodak wifi picture frame, it can stream to that too.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 12:51 AM

I use Elgato's EyeConnect. I don't recall why I chose to go with it instead of Null River's MediaLlink – something about it working with less fuss perhaps. NAS devices that have DNLA software will allow the PS3 to connect to them (e.g. Lacie NAS drives, Buffalo, DNS-323 + TwonkyVision). Many of these NAS drives tend to run TwonkyVision under the hood. Note that streaming the content to the PS3 is just half the battle. The PS3 supports only a handful of audio/video codecs, so you might find that some of your DivX/xvid/H.264 encoded videos might not work (it's dependent on the format, not the container).

As for games, I haven't really found any decent fighting games for the PS3 yet. There's Virtua Fighter I suppose. Costco and many other places seem to be selling this PS3 game at bargain prices (I saw it for $12 or so). Worth a few hours of playing I suppose. Soul Calibur IV is coming soon, and that's always been one of my preferred fighting games.

Rumor
Jul 22, 2008, 05:33 AM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 10:32 AM

Yeah, the fighting games I'm thinking about getting are mostly future releases. Soul Calibur IV (I think that's only a week away though), Tekken 6, and Street Fighter IV. Though it also seems there are downloadable Tekken 5 and SF 2, and I might grab some used PS2 versions of previous Tekken games.

I'm also really looking forward to some of the more unusual games, like LittleBigPlanet, PixelJunk Eden, and Echocrome.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 03:28 PM

I love Call of Duty 4, easy to get into and have fun with.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2008, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
I love Call of Duty 4, easy to get into and have fun with.
How do you find playing FPS games with a console controller? I've only even played FPSes on PCs and find that the mouse and keyboard combination is pretty easy. I tried the Bourne thing on an XBox the other day and while it took a couple of bullets in the face before I got used to it, I did eventually kill some bad guys.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2008, 12:13 PM

I actually prefer it myself, I have a PS2 style controller for my PC tho so I am bias towards the setup CoD has a great setup and I usually don't change anything from the default, its all accessible and easy to learn & remember.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
How do you find playing FPS games with a console controller? I've only even played FPSes on PCs and find that the mouse and keyboard combination is pretty easy. I tried the Bourne thing on an XBox the other day and while it took a couple of bullets in the face before I got used to it, I did eventually kill some bad guys.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2008, 02:36 PM

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that when you're not playing, you might want to run the Folding@home client, which runs molecular simulations for Stanford University with the aim of curing and preventing diseases caused by misfolded proteins (Alzheimer's, Mad Cow, etc.). Here's a link to the PDF that explains the whole project.

Of course, if you end up liking it and want to join one of the folding teams, you could always join our very own TeamMacNN (team number 16), and you'll get your stats tracked for you.

Ozz_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2008, 06:19 PM

Motorstorm was a pretty fun game, I have still yet to beat it because it's so long and sometimes difficult. It's not like your every day race around a track game. But I saw it in the bargain bin the other day for twenty something bucks and I paid $60!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ozz_man View Post
Motorstorm was a pretty fun game, I have still yet to beat it because it's so long and sometimes difficult. It's not like your every day race around a track game. But I saw it in the bargain bin the other day for twenty something bucks and I paid $60!
I like the game but I almost can't play it because the load times and music are so bad.

redJag
Senior User
Jul 28, 2008, 05:46 PM

MotorStorm looks nice but it is very disappointing that they don't have offline multiplayer. Seems to be a trend these days which is too bad because I really like bringing friends over and playing together in the same room. When you have to win or give up the controller it's so much better
Travis Sanderson

Ozz_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2008, 06:37 PM

Theres a Motorstorm 2 coming out. I am hoping they address these complaints.

Forum Links
Forum Rules