Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod nano 1st gen: Apple replacement program

iPod nano 1st gen: Apple replacement program
Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2011, 11:09 PM

iPod nano (1st generation) Replacement Program

Apple has determined that, in very rare cases, the battery in the iPod nano (1st generation) may overheat and pose a safety risk. Affected iPod nanos were sold between September 2005 and December 2006.

This issue has been traced to a single battery supplier that produced batteries with a manufacturing defect. While the possibility of an incident is rare, the likelihood increases as the battery ages.

Apple recommends that you stop using your iPod nano (1st gen) and follow the process noted below to order a replacement unit, free of charge.

Note: This battery issue is specific to the iPod nano (1st gen) and does not affect any other iPod.

Replacement Process

You may order a replacement unit via the web. Click here to begin.

Your iPod nano serial number will be checked to verify that it is eligible for this program. You will receive a replacement unit approximately 6 weeks after we receive your current iPod nano (1st gen).

If you have a personalized iPod nano, you will receive a non-personalized replacement. Make sure to use iTunes to back up any data on your current iPod nano before sending it in for a replacement unit.

Additional Information

Identifying an iPod nano (1st gen):

It has a black or white plastic front and a silver metal back - later iPod nano models have a metal front and back. See images on this web page.
If you need assistance with placing an order, please visit an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) and bring your iPod nano with you for serial number validation.

Your replacement iPod product is warranted to be free from defects for 90 days from the date of service.

---

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2011, 11:24 PM

Mine had with 2 GB space, and the other two options were 1 GB and 4 GB. It should be noted that the last three versions of the nano have a minimum of 8 GB storage, and the current one has a multi-touch screen.

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2011, 09:23 AM

I checked the Apple refub page and see only current gen nanos (which I dislike but for a free replacement it's more than generous). I hope Apple doesn't expend manhours replacing everyone's battery...that would mean someone else would get my laser engraved iPod and vice-versa. Makes me feel dirty...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2011, 10:27 AM

Wait, they aren't going to replace 1st gens with current models are they? Does it say that explicitly somewhere?

Traditionally Apple keeps stock of older models to use as replacements and then refurbishes the ones they take back to use as further replacements but these are now getting old enough that they would no longer keep much stock. Given the 6 week quote I'd guess they are indeed replacing batteries.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2011, 11:38 AM

These iPods came out 5 years ago, so they would not have a sufficient pool of 1st gen refurbs available. Also, I'm guessing it could also actually be cheaper to just replace them with current refurb models.

I wouldn't mind getting my nano's battery replaced since mine too is a laser engraved model and I like the click wheel, but I'm just not expecting it.

I have a shuffle, mini, nano, and iPhone. I use the shuffle, mini, or nano for when I'm cutting the lawn or exercising because I don't have to look at the screen to control the unit. The iPhone is essentially impossible to use blind. How hard is it to use the multi-touch nano blind? I don't have much experience with it but the times I played it with, it seemed like it'd be a little bit of an irritating replacement for the old nano or shuffle.

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2011, 03:09 PM

The battery life on my 1st gen nano is literally 30 minutes. If I charge it up I can run a 5K before it dies (and I do too). If Apple sends me a Zune I'd be grateful...an iPod Nano of any sort is even better.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2011, 02:04 AM

True dat. We shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth of course.

Plus one could just sell the nano too. The replacement comes with a 3 month warranty. Not bad for a 5-year old product.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2011, 09:12 PM

Well, we were wrong. They're direct replacements, with the original nano.

P.S. I think UPS has my box. I have a package waiting from "AI".

-Q-
Nov 18, 2011, 12:59 AM

I'm truly surprised they have enough refurbs lying around to fulfill this replacement program.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2011, 05:40 AM

Thats why they are saying 6 weeks. They will refurb the first returns and send them back out I bet.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2011, 12:09 PM

Heh. Even the return box was well thought out. I got to the UPS Store and the label had my name on it. Open the perforation of the label, and it has the return label to Apple underneath. So, rip off the old label, and the new label is already there.

Then, inside, the foam has precut sizing for lots of different types of iPods, with the iPod nano being the smallest. Place the nano inside a plastic bag they provide, and then remove the cutout for the nano and put it in the perfectly sized hole. Cover and close the box.

The box even includes a small pad of packing tape, so you use that to tape up the box before returning it.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2011, 08:59 PM

Still haven't received my replacement for whatever reason. So, I guess that 6 weeks really is valid.

I note however that others got their replacements within days.

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2011, 11:16 AM

My iPod is still at Apple too...kind of sucks not having it but I can wait.

P
Nov 30, 2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Still haven't received my replacement for whatever reason. So, I guess that 6 weeks really is valid.

I note however that others got their replacements within days.
Most likely they built up a small stock with replacements, and the first to send in got those. Everyone else will get a replacement created from the previously returned iPods with a new battery and a new surface layer.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2011, 04:22 PM

I can't decide whether or not to send mine in. It still works flawlessly and has never had an issue. First iPod I ever bought.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I can't decide whether or not to send mine in. It still works flawlessly and has never had an issue. First iPod I ever bought.
I'm just doing it for the new battery life.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Most likely they built up a small stock with replacements, and the first to send in got those. Everyone else will get a replacement created from the previously returned iPods with a new battery and a new surface layer.
So the initial returns get brand new fronts and backs and those that come after get the first returners' crappy cases? I hope you're wrong.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2011, 03:37 PM

I have one of these but literally never use it. Never. I have no use for it.

I wonder if I should bother? I could get a new one and give it to someone who might appreciate it...

How easy is the process? Do I have to package it up and mail it myself or do they send me an envelope??

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I have one of these but literally never use it. Never. I have no use for it.

I wonder if I should bother? I could get a new one and give it to someone who might appreciate it...

How easy is the process? Do I have to package it up and mail it myself or do they send me an envelope??
Apple sends a box, you put in iPod and drop off at FedEx. Couldn't be easier...or Snappier.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 4, 2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Apple sends a box, you put in iPod and drop off at FedEx. Couldn't be easier...or Snappier.
You sure about snappy?

I'm still waiting for my box to arrive, and I placed my request back on November 13. I still have the confirmation page:

Thank you.
Your request has been submitted.
Apple will send you a box with shipping instructions to mail your iPod nano to us. Apple will then send you a replacement iPod.
Please save a PDF of this page for your records. You can check the status of your request via Check My Repair Status using your Repair ID, shown on the left of this page.

But Apple never posted a link for "Check My Repair Status" and I have no idea where I'm supposed to enter my Repair ID. I searched everywhere on Apple's site, even the original replacement homepage, and I found no such field.

I thought, well, maybe it's gotta be in iTunes somewhere. Launched my account, no repair ID.

[1] Where am I supposed to enter this "repair ID," and where is this link to Check My Repair Status?

[2] Why is it taking so long for Apple to ship a box out, when meanwhile, people received their replacements last month?

Is it really supposed to take so long?
Who else is waiting for a box?

-Q-
Dec 4, 2011, 11:36 PM

I put in my request for the replacement on 11/21 and got the confirmation email, but have yet to receive the box. I seem to recall the form saying that it could take up to 6 weeks to process.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 12:58 PM

I got the box a few days after I put in the request. I returned it Nov. 18 (or two and a half weeks ago).

This is in Canada.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 9, 2011, 06:01 PM

Alright I got my box yesterday and shipped it back today.

We'll see what happens.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2011, 10:32 PM

Still waiting for mine. I shipped mine back 3 weeks ago today.

-Q-
Dec 10, 2011, 07:40 AM

Got my box on Friday and will ship it back Monday. The second countdown begins.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2011, 02:09 AM

It's been a month now since I sent it in. Nada.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2011, 08:11 AM

Same here...I submitted my request the day Apple announced the refurb program, shipped it back a week later, and nothing since. Hopefully Apple sends it out soon...I'm getting tired of burning playlists to CDs for my daily commute.

-Q-
Dec 19, 2011, 01:40 PM

Just got the update from Apple that they received the nano and will begin "working" on it.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 01:20 AM

Well, we were wrong. They're direct replacements, with the original nano.

Or not.

Apple Indeed Replacing Recalled iPod Nano Units with Current-Generation Models - Mac Rumors

Just received our replacement today - Fedex truck pulled up late in the evening. Inside was our replacement for our 1st gen ipod nano that was sent into Apple 1 month ago.

It's a 6th generation ipod nano, serial number shows that warranty has expired. Not sure if that means that it's a refurbished model or if it's a brand new model and they've deactivated the warranty. It's silver.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2011, 08:17 AM

Ugh. To quote Tarzan, "Me no like iPod 6th gen...NO LIKE!"

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 10:17 AM

I agree. It's the 2nd worst interface after the no-button shuffle.

That said, I'm not gonna complain as it's a larger capacity and comes with a (short) warranty.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2011, 03:37 PM

So the initial returns get brand new fronts and backs and those that come after get the first returners' crappy cases? I hope you're wrong.
Apple would never send out a replacement with a used case. You basically have to f**k the case to get into them anyway. I'd bet the logic boards and other guts would be recycled though.

I just realised I might have another one of these kicking about. Hmmm.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2011, 04:41 PM

My FM transmitter doesn't charge my iPod Touch...the Touch says it won't charge, but I got it for my 1st gen Nano. Now I wonder if it will work with the 6th gen Nano. Also need a new case... How is Apple going to resolve this? I'm sure there's some small print none of us read but if my FM transmitter don't work I'm going to be upset. Never wanted anything other than what I sent in and will feel screwed if I get something not compatible with my add-ons...

davidb224
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2011, 03:46 PM

It's been a month now since I sent it in. Nada.
I sent in my 1st generation, 1 GB iPod Nano for replacement on Nov 20th. I got the replacement yesterday and I'm happy to say, I was given a 6th generation, 8 GB iPod Nano. I think it is probably a refurb because of the way it was wrapped.

Even so, I am happy with the replacement unit. After I got my iPhone, I just about stopped using my Nano.

When the 6th generation iPods first came out, I was intrigued by the idea of wearing an iPod Nano on your wrist.

So, now that I have one, I plan to get a Luna-Tik watch-band and wear my "new" Nano on my wrist. Thanks Apple!
davidb

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2011, 04:31 PM

So, kudos to Apple for replacing the old Nano with very nice watches!

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by davidb224 View Post
I sent in my 1st generation, 1 GB iPod Nano for replacement on Nov 20th. I got the replacement yesterday and I'm happy to say, I was given a 6th generation, 8 GB iPod Nano. I think it is probably a refurb because of the way it was wrapped.

Even so, I am happy with the replacement unit. After I got my iPhone, I just about stopped using my Nano.

When the 6th generation iPods first came out, I was intrigued by the idea of wearing an iPod Nano on your wrist.

So, now that I have one, I plan to get a Luna-Tik watch-band and wear my "new" Nano on my wrist. Thanks Apple!
Seems like a cool watch but gotta charge it a little too often to be practical.

davidb224
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2011, 04:16 AM

Seems like a cool watch but gotta charge it a little too often to be practical.
Its not a great watch, but its a nice watch and an 8 GB iPod on my wrist. As for charging it . . . I charged it 3 days ago and its still going strong on that first charge.

Using my Nano as a wristwatch doesn't take very much charge. The Nano turns off the screen after about 20 seconds, so it doesn't use much of the battery. I have listened to music for an hour too, but that hasn't used much battery either.

I read somewhere that a 6th Generation iPod Nano's battery will play music continuously for 24 hours straight.
davidb

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2011, 07:33 AM

Apple has finally updated my status to "shipped" which means I'll probably get it December 26th...a little over a month after I shipped it to them.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2011, 03:27 PM

Your service request has been completed and your IPOD NANO shipped on 2011-12-26. Please allow two business days for delivery (five business days if your product is an iPod or iPad that has a personalized engraving).

Your product shipped via UPS using tracking number ABC123babyuandmegirl, which should be active within 24 hours.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 27, 2011, 05:20 PM

Alright I just saw that Apple is sending me a new iPod in the email.

But they got my address wrong, and naturally I'm away for the break with folks until the New Year, before which the replacement will arrive.

(I DO NOT want Apple to leave the replacement on my front step, as it might get stolen.)

The confirmation email didn't say how I could contact Apple, and when I went to the repair page, there was no option to contact Apple to correct this.

Now what do I do? Will Apple want the replacement returned to them? I need to email them but I cannot for the life of me see a way to do that.

davidb224
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2011, 05:29 PM

I think you should call Apple support. They may be able to do something.
davidb

scottiB
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2011, 08:44 PM

Got a silver 6th G, 8GB nano, too. According to the included letter, it has a 90 day warranty.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2011, 02:26 AM

Hmmm... It's coming from the US, for my Canadian repair order.

Louisville, KY, United States 12/28/2011 0:24 Export Scan
Louisville, KY, United States 12/27/2011 23:46 Arrival Scan
Middletown, PA, United States 12/27/2011 22:04 Departure Scan
12/27/2011 20:08 Origin Scan
United States 12/26/2011 19:52 Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Ham Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011, 10:33 AM

Well that's f***ing b******t. I called Apple and they said that FedEx is going to deliver it for 3 days anyways to an empty residence despite there not being anyone around to pick it up, and then hold it for 5 business days, despite the fact that I may need to be away for the break just like many others around this time of the year. So, basically Apple and FedEx don't give a s*** that I'm with folks for the break, and if I can't get back early enough (say, due to inclement weather), then the iPod will get shipped back.
How heartless! I'm basically screwed. If only Apple chose to deliver the iPod 5 days EARLIER or 5 days LATER that would've been fine with me, BUT NO! They had to get the thing repaired when I'm away for the break. What a*******.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
Well that's f***ing b******t. I called Apple and they said that FedEx is going to deliver it for 3 days anyways to an empty residence despite there not being anyone around to pick it up, and then hold it for 5 business days, despite the fact that I may need to be away for the break just like many others around this time of the year. So, basically Apple and FedEx don't give a s*** that I'm with folks for the break, and if I can't get back early enough (say, due to inclement weather), then the iPod will get shipped back.
How heartless! I'm basically screwed. If only Apple chose to deliver the iPod 5 days EARLIER or 5 days LATER that would've been fine with me, BUT NO! They had to get the thing repaired when I'm away for the break. What a*******.
Have you clicked on the FedEx tracking number and looked to see if there's a way you can have FedEx delay delivery? Probably some kind of option other than ranting like a madman over something inconsequential.

BTW, my iPod showed up and it's also an 8GB silver 6th gen Touch... Too small, interface sucks, but it syncs MUCH faster than the 1st gen Nano.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2011, 08:37 PM

My 6th gen silver 8 gig Nano arrived today. Much rather have the 5th Gen (or was it the 4th???) -(Camera in it.)
oh well.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2011, 10:24 PM

Mine is also the 8 GB silver.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012, 01:12 PM

Alright so now I just got my replacement nano, which I assume is the new model.

The box came with just the iPod, but no instruction manual and no connector. That means I have no way to activate the iPod.

How the hell am I supposed to connect this thing? I don't see any discussion of a cable here. Was I supposed to get a cable, or does Apple expect me to drop $20 on a connector?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
Alright so now I just got my replacement nano, which I assume is the new model.

The box came with just the iPod, but no instruction manual and no connector. That means I have no way to activate the iPod.

How the hell am I supposed to connect this thing? I don't see any discussion of a cable here. Was I supposed to get a cable, or does Apple expect me to drop $20 on a connector?
It doesn't come with a cable. It works with the same cable that you used for your previous nano. If you lost your cable then yes you have to buy a new one, but that's not Apple's fault of course.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012, 01:53 PM

That's impossible! This thing looks like it uses one of the narrow-thin connectors, like with the iPod Touch. Doesn't it? Wouldn't the old cable supply the wrong signal?

EDIT: Oh no way. Nevermind.

Whoa, it's 7.5 GB, compared to 2 GB for the old one. That's one hell of a replacement.

Also liking the radio, geez this thing is small
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Jan 4, 2012 at 02:11 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules