Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > OnLive Deskop works surprisingly well: Windows 7 + MS Office, Flash for the iPad.

OnLive Deskop works surprisingly well: Windows 7 + MS Office, Flash for the iPad.
Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2012, 03:41 AM

Colour me impressed. Free app with virtual Windows 7 + MS Office support, on my iPad 2, with 2 GB free cloud storage. It's actually pretty responsive. I'm in Canada, and I believe the servers are in the US. I'm on 802.11n WiFi, with 25/7 Mbps broadband service. It feels like MS Remote Desktop.

Typing on the virtual keyboard is a pain, but I'll try my Bluetooth keyboard. Note that I'm not remoting in to my own PC. The Windows and Office installs are on their machines. I don't pay a dime for the licences, nor do I pay them anything either. IOW, you don't have to own either Windows or Office to use the native versions of the software. However, I wonder what's going to happen with OnLive's licencing agreement with MS. MS apparently isn't happy about all of this...

I haven't tried Flash support, because that costs $5 a month.
( Last edited by Eug; Mar 11, 2012 at 03:48 AM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2012, 04:37 AM

David Pogue's view:

You’re probably paying something like $60 a month for high-speed Internet. I’m paying $5 a month more, and my connection is 1,000 times faster.

Your iPad can’t play Flash videos on the Web. Mine can.

Your copy of Windows needs constant updating and patching and protection against viruses and spyware. Mine is always clean and always up-to-date.

No, I’m not some kind of smug techno-elitist; you can have all of that, too. All you have to do is sign up for a radical iPad service called OnLive Desktop Plus.

Windows on the iPad, and Speedy

More on OnLive Desktop

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2012, 11:14 PM

BTW, it's not available in Canada. However, I live in Canada. So, what I did is get a US account. You can do this simply by switching the store to the US store, and then try to download any free app (including OnLive Desktop). It will ask you to either login or create an account. I had done this a while back for something else and so I just logged in using that same normally unused US account I created earlier. No need for a US credit card. You'll just need a different email address. (One email address can only be used in one store region I believe.)

Voila! OnLive Desktop is now on my Canadian iPad via iTunes' US store, despite the fact 99% of the apps on my iPad are from the iTunes Canada store.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2012, 05:13 AM

Indeed. I have accounts from iTunes Spain, Germany and US Stores.

ibook_steve
Mar 13, 2012, 04:51 PM

Enjoy it (or just it being free) while it lasts:

http://gizmodo.com/5891844/is-onlive...ing-agreements

Steve

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2012, 02:43 PM

So, I haven't used service this since my early testing. Why? I still just carry my laptop with Office on it, which has the added bonus of not requiring internet access. The iPad still just stays at home.

Forum Links
Forum Rules