Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Aapl

Aapl (Page 8)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2011, 01:52 PM

Well I'm no longer an AAPL investor. Cashed out today at $354.82. Only 10 points off its all time high, so I'm pretty happy (especially since I bought at ~$45).

Only reason I sold is because I need to have more cash on hand when I close on my house in two weeks.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2011, 02:26 PM

That's a great gain, joke, congrats. Make sure you save a portion for when the tax man demands his due, of course.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Sealobo
Jul 15, 2011, 09:36 AM

looks like AAPL will refresh its all-time-high next week...

Patrick
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2011, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
looks like AAPL will refresh its all-time-high next week...
And then some. Apparently they had a good quarter. Anyone think it'll go higher, or is it time to sell like crazy and buy me one of those new ivory backscratchers?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2011, 12:57 AM

Apple annihilated earnings expectations, more so than usual, and yet the stock ended comparatively flat today. That in and of itself is a bit disconcerting.

Who knows though. I never thought we'd see $350.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2011, 04:32 AM

AAPL almost always underperforms in the immediate sessions after good quarterly results but then quickly puts on the steam in the subsequent weeks and months. A 13.27 forward P/E ratio is hella cheap. 83% quarterly growth - smoking.

As long as Apple continues to deliver competitive products, it will continue to far outperform. The iPhone is taking share from the more ubiquitous competition such that Apple is now the number one smartphone maker. Quite impressive. Of course, at a certain point in the future Apple won't be able to deliver such stellar sales growth rates, but it can always offer a dividend at that point.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jul 21, 2011 at 04:39 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2011, 06:36 AM

Apple’s Shock To Corporate Computing.

The verdict is in with Apple’s blowout earnings: Corporate America, you are not ready for how fast the office will change.

Smart companies know this and are trying to get in early. I just worry they are not moving fast enough.

I was recently at a very large consumer products company (stay tuned) where there was a wall of different phones and tablets from which managers could choose, then sit in a mockup hotel room to test how they’d work with it remotely. “Three to five years from now, everyone will be bringing their own device into work anyway,” the CIO told me. “I have to turn that issue into an opportunity.”

Last week Paul Maritz, the chief executive of cloud computing giant VMware, talked about a transformation for companies that can “no longer assume automatically in advance the device (your employee is using), the kind of operating system or whether that device is physically in the control of the enterprise.” That is about three years away, he said.

This time, even the evangelists of the new industry may be under predicting the speed of change.

Also, Apple iOS business is now bigger than HP and Dell’s PC businesses, combined.

Source: Forbes.

Sealobo
Jul 26, 2011, 04:23 AM

today is the day.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2011, 07:37 AM

It hit $400 twice yesterday.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Sealobo
Jul 26, 2011, 10:03 AM

touching is not the same as going through it. you know.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2011, 01:03 PM

Almost as big as Exxon (XOM) now.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2011, 01:23 PM

If the market recovery today is indicative of a general recovery, Apple will be back at and above $400 very soon.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Almost as big as Exxon (XOM) now.
Funny, I was just reading that Apple had briefly passed Exxon… but only briefly, so no plans for world domination yet.

Sealobo
Aug 9, 2011, 02:28 PM

looks like AAPL might stay on top at the bell.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2011, 12:13 PM

I don't suggest anyone necessarily chase it, but Apple has broken out of the high $300 range it was trading in. Last week it was at $396 and then suddenly broke solidly above $400. It has been rocketing the last two trading sessions and is currently at $421.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 20, 2011, 12:54 PM

The valuation is getting silly now. It's already gotten to the point where Apple's own guidance is ignored because it's consistently and worthlessly conservative. So the stock is now driven almost entirely on earnings conjecture. This is dangerous. What would happen were Apple to only beat estimates rather than annihilate them?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2011, 01:24 PM

I don't think the valuation is silly if you mean high. 13 times forward earnings is not silly. We know that unless the iPhone 5 is a pretty box with a giant dog turd in it, it's going to shatter all previous iPhone sales records. There will be tablet space competition for the iPad to contend with especially from Amazon, but I imagine Apple has both a strong pipeline and a lot of latitude to compete on price with anyone and everyone if necessary. We know Apple has been taking share back from Android and has been pummeling the competition thus far in tablets. Its stellar performance suggests to me that 13x forward earnings is a huge discount and gift to those who have the ability to take advantage of it.

More importantly, once people get into the Apple ecosystem they don't usually leave it. The products actively inspire the strongest brand loyalty - unrivaled loyalty - that I can think of anywhere else in the consumer space because it makes the whole widget, as Apple has said in the past. Once you adopt iOS, iTunes/App Store you're pretty well hooked. Once you go Mac you're pretty well hooked and much more likely to buy an iDevice. And Apple has been growing its fervently loyal customer base at huge rates for years now. That's self-perpetuating, nearly effortless marketing. And it's something no other company has or is even close to rivaling. Not Microsoft. Not Google. Not Amazon. Apple's greatest long term threat is probably Samsung because it nearly owns Korea and can compete with Apple hardware, but Samsung only controls the hardware, not software.

Those who didn't get into Apple stock when in the late 1990s or mid-2000s certainly missed out on immense appreciation, but I think one can start building a portfolio today and still do tremendously well in the years ahead. Our children and grandchildren will probably pester us saying, "daddy why didn't you buy more Apple stock when it was only at $400 now that today it's at $5,000?"

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
touching is not the same as going through it. you know.
That's what she said.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2011, 05:31 PM

If I had the money to invest in the stock market, if any of my investments had doubled, I would have pulled half out (my original investment) and used the other half for the long term. Personally I see the future being in Water related companies. I do plan to invest some in some of the larger water companies because as we lose access to fresh clean water, the water we have left will be the new oil in many markets.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Sealobo
Oct 18, 2011, 06:11 PM

ok, Q4 result it out; missing the street's forecast. Share price is taking a hit in the late trading session.

o btw, it's $88 cash & equivalent per share as of end of Q4, up from $81 per share in Q3. That's impressive.

Cold Warrior
Oct 18, 2011, 06:13 PM

They had great growth and it's taking a hit because it was below analyst consensus? These guys ignore apple's guidance every quarter because apple is conservative, so they don't think anymore that apple may have reasons for its forecasts -- such as delaying iPhone from summer to October. If those sales had been booked this summer, they would have exceeded iPhone sales. Right?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2011, 06:22 PM

Yep. Considering Apple sold nearly 25% of the entire Q4 iPhone sales over this past weekend, it's a safe assumption.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Sealobo
Oct 18, 2011, 06:22 PM

In the conference call, Tim Cook said that the iPhone 4 sales slowed since mid-August due to the much intensified rumor about a "new phone".

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
They had great growth and it's taking a hit because it was below analyst consensus? These guys ignore apple's guidance every quarter because apple is conservative, so they don't think anymore that apple may have reasons for its forecasts
Sandbagging has its disadvantages. You can't play the same game forever. At some point, you'll either lose complete credibility, or you fail to meet the implied targets of over-promise-under-achieve.

Apple was backing itself into a corner for a long time.

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2011, 07:11 PM

I'd be $380,000 richer if it weren't for Merrill Lynch.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 19, 2011, 01:17 AM

I do believe I called this.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2011, 12:01 AM

I see aapl going the way of the Microsoft. This is aapl's 1999. I think they will slowly lose steam once Steve's ideas run out. The only difference is Microsoft has a monopoly operating system that they can always fall back on when they pursue money losing ventures. Apple has no such market. Their core business is downloading music and phones. All these things are easily copied. People can't just switch from a windows based society to something else; but people can switch phones in a day... So,. Im trying to figure out how I want to short them at the moment, (now if only the market was designed to be more friendly to long term shorts).

Sealobo
Feb 13, 2012, 10:34 AM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2012, 12:41 PM

They should do a share split.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2012, 01:03 PM

No, the float is fine the way it is right now I think. If the stock gets really illiquid because of the high PPS in the future they can split it again, but it's sufficiently liquid right now. Maybe AAPL can split once it reaches $800/share.

el chup I don't buy your view point. Where are the tens of millions of satisfied iPhone customers going to switch to? Android? Doubtful - Apple's taking back market share from Android. Windows Phone? Dubious. Microsoft may have/have had a near monopoly on the desktop PC OS, but Apple building one in the much larger, much more profitable phone and tablet mass consumer market, where it enjoys being the vendor of the hardware, the OS and even the third party software. And Apple's iPhone business is by itself larger and more profitable than Microsoft is now in its entirety. Stunning.

iM@k
Senior User
Feb 15, 2012, 12:04 PM

And a mere 48 hours later:
What, me worry?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2012, 01:30 PM

I'm a contrarian investor. Buying Apple now is what everyone does. The growth rate of the stock is IMO unsustainable.

-t

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2012, 07:47 AM

Welcome to Zombieland

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2012, 09:49 AM

The AAPL zombie parade.

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2012, 01:20 AM

Of course, as you all know now the stock was upgraded with a new target set (by most market gurus) at $750 (or $820 by GS).

I'm still riding it out from the $550 purchase back in May, not saying how many, but it's quite a lot for me. I'm thinking we'll see $780-800 now, since it looks like Apple is going to shatter even the more liberal iP5 sales estimates. Where will it go? This is soon to be uncharted territory. It's exciting.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2012, 03:13 PM

Well, shit, thanks to QE infinity, stocks will of course go up.

At this point, fundamentals really don't matter.

Whatever, my gold and silver mining stocks will outperform AAPL by a wide margin, so I'm not worried about losing out.

-t

P.S. F*ck you, Ben Bernanke.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2012, 12:42 AM

I'm in your markets, shortin' your AAPLs. Sellin' at 701, buying at 535. Giggity.

6579/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I've only been up only 45 minutes and it's already been a glorious day.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2012, 03:45 AM

Great timing Shaddim. I had been thinking the time to short was when it surpassed $600 after that meteoric rise, but even that would have been quite mistimed, by over 15%.

In fact, I told an acquaintance that I thought $600 was too high, but he didn't listen to me and kept it. I wonder if he sold closer to $700 though, or else just rode it back down to < $550.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2012, 04:52 AM

I was going to hang tight when it crested to 700, I thought it might go to 750+, but my broker was frantically saying "get out, really, get out", so I did. And of course, if it's good enough to sell...
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2012, 06:38 AM

Your broker definitely should get a pat on the back for that one.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Your broker definitely should get a pat on the back for that one.
That's why I put up with his weird, obnoxious crap.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2012, 05:26 AM

Wow - floating down to $530. Can it really go lower?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2012, 08:50 PM

You had to ask, didn't you?

Today's close was 509, and this week analysts were all jittery because various moving averages were crossing below each other. At least it's still up for the year... sucks for those who bought over 600, though.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2012, 05:50 AM

My last tablet was Android. My next phone is Android (got two on order in fact).

I have no imminent Mac purchases, because I don't want anything in the current iMac and MacBook Pro lineups.

And the best that has happened to iOS lately is Google Maps.

Hmmmm...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2012, 09:04 AM

Few thoughts:

1) Dividend Yield is now 2%. Not bad.

2) I think AAPL could be compared to MSFT.
Ever since MSFT initiated a Dividend in 2003, the stock has been flat, mostly in the $20-$30 range.

3) My Predicition: AAPL is going to stay in the $400-$500 range for a long while. Earnings will still grow, Div. yield will grow to around 3%, like MSFTs today.

There's no more big upside to the stock, unless they can com up with a major new blockbuster / game changer like the iPad. I doubt the iTV is going to be it.

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Few thoughts:
1) Dividend Yield is now 2%. Not bad.
2) I think AAPL could be compared to MSFT.
Ever since MSFT initiated a Dividend in 2003, the stock has been flat, mostly in the $20-$30 range.
3) My Predicition: AAPL is going to stay in the $400-$500 range for a long while. Earnings will still grow, Div. yield will grow to around 3%, like MSFTs today.
There's no more big upside to the stock, unless they can com up with a major new blockbuster / game changer like the iPad. I doubt the iTV is going to be it.
-t
This. Only I say the $600 range, they have too much equity and their earnings % crushes MS.
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Wow - floating down to $530. Can it really go lower?
AAPL is now down to about $462 after hours.

Their latest revenues did not impress.

Apple misses revenue expectations, shares sink - The Globe and Mail

mindwaves
Jan 23, 2013, 06:47 PM

Almost always happens this way unfortunately.

I also noticed that Apple's profits are almost as much as Google's revenue for the same quarter.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2013, 12:52 AM

Apple just closed out the most profitable year in the history of corporations. Ever.

SELL!!! PANIC!!!1!!!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2013, 02:21 AM

Yes, keep selling, keep lowering the price!!
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules