Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iTMS comes to Australia! Time for European lawsuit?

iTMS comes to Australia! Time for European lawsuit?
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2003, 09:33 PM

http://theage.com.au/articles/2003/0...050669379.html

It'll be there by Christmas.

And no, I don't think a class action suit would serve any point whatsoever.

I just put it in the title as a dig at simonjames.

-s*

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2003, 11:27 PM

If true: YES yes YES yes YES!
Finally we get something out of whoring ourselves to American consumer culture for the last three decades. If we're going to pass your laws, feel your emotions, and fight your wars, it's about damn time we get to listen to your music.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

simonjames
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 12:37 AM

See SuperSp[h]eric - I talk Apple listens

Now where is that phone, iPod, PDA and camera all-in-one I have been demanding for a couple of years?

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 31, 2003, 01:13 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 21, 2004 at 06:20 PM. )

Spheric Harlot  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2003, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:
SuperSp[h]eric
It was a bad and inappropriate joke the first time around - IIRC, you came up with that to ridicule me because you somehow missed the fact that I WAS one of the people you were rallying (i.e. non-American), and I - and other non-US-residents - still thought you were being stupid.

I guess one bad dig deserves another, so we're cool.

Can you please drop it now, lest I have to come up with a cheap pot-shot?

-s*

simonjames
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 07:07 AM

Sorry Spheric

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by daimoni:

Uh. So why do you guys continue to ape us and yet whinge about it?

I don't know Ask the Average Citizen�, a person who does not exist. Basically, we are a populace rather... divided on the "Is America good" issue. If it was up to me, we'd quit both the aping and the whinging. Maybe keep the whinging. Maybe not.

Pre-emptive edit:
Actually, here's a more serious answer. American culture, backed as it is by the promise of prosperity and success, is a very powerful force. There's a sense of helplessness for the average citizen of [insert non-American first-world country], who sees their local colour fading to grey, but feels impotent to stop it. Europeans, at least, have the weight of history on their side. Centuries of tradition and art (in the most generic sense of the word) provide a counterfoil to the relentless free-market onslaught. In a country like ours, however, that's relatively new and never had much of a national identity to begin with, it's very easy to get swamped. People don't resist things like American-style taxation, fast food outlets, fashions and fads and feverish sales... or at least not enough people resist them... because they do, after all, work. There's not all that many differences between your country and ours, after all, and it seems convenient to adapt - we couldn't force you to adapt to us if we wanted to. There are some elements of our culture, though, that are totally incompatible with yours. Some of those are very dear to our hearts. We don't want to see them vanish, but we're afraid that they might...

Basically, it's human greed. We'd like all the benefits of being the "51st state," without any of the responsibilities.

For now, though, this is still the best bloody place in the world.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2003, 08:56 AM

<sigh> Still we have to wait in EU.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2003, 11:22 AM

Here's to hoping Steve says something interesting about the European market at Paris... Like a launch of iTMS...

Ken Masters
Banned
Aug 31, 2003, 12:08 PM

Only one concern,

I hope they dont have dorky music,

And i hope they include enought alternative to make the collection desirable to everyone and not just britney spears fans.

(spelling mistakes, and i'm too tired to care)

Australian MUSIC SUCKS
EMINEM (don't care about spelling) SUCKS
BRITNEY SPEARS SUCKS

That crazy asian bloke on Australian idol who needed a government warning, NOW thats MUSIC!!!

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 31, 2003, 04:33 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 21, 2004 at 06:20 PM. )

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2003, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
I think it's also interesting how so-called American Icons like Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc. are owned by foreign companies. So it is the British who give us American culture. Heh.

Yes. Let's all blame the British!

:: sips PG Tips tea ::
Diageo dropped Burger King like a bad habit. It's been repatriated! Diageo also sold the Pillsbury doughboy to General Mills.

Pizza Hut used to be owned by PepsiCo, which spun it off (with KFC and Taco Bell) into a new company called Tricon, which later changed its name to the abomination Yum! Brands Inc. It's based in the U.S.

I'm still mad that Unilever bought Ben & Jerry's though!

Oh, and all the red-white-and-blue Amoco stations around here are being changed over to green-and-yellow BP stations. More history down the drain.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2003, 06:16 PM

So does this mean that iTMS will offer Australian music in Australia or American music or both? And would Australian music become available in America through iTMS?

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2003, 10:37 PM

And when the fark does iTMS come to Canada!?!

Since there is no parity between the currencies, what is a song going to cost, I wonder?

BTW, in this month's Discover magazine, there was an interesting article on the benefits and potential problems with software that encourages you to buy, using iTunes and the iTMS as a positive example.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 01:26 AM

Before everyone gets too excited, just a warning. Gary Barker from The Age often writes positive Mac articles - in fact about half of what he reports on in the IT section of the Age is about Macs. That's a good thing!

However, he tends to get all his info from Apple's website, keynotes, and their 'hot news'. I don't know this as a fact, but nearly everything I read from him seems to be pretty much lifted from the Apple website without much further analysis or critique.

I would assume that the info he gives here is simply his 'guess' at when it will come over here, which he has assumed from Apple saying that it plans to have iTMS in other countries soon. While we might get it by Christmas, I'd be pretty positive that he doesn't know any more than the rest of us. Every single article by him I read sounds just like a copy-paste-rearrange from Apple's website with a pretty picture of an iPod or iMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules