Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Migrating from MacBook to iMac with Time Machine

Migrating from MacBook to iMac with Time Machine
jsyoung82
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2008, 04:28 PM

So I currently have a 12 month old MacBook, and I'm looking to replace it with a new iMac. I have Leopard installed, and use TM to backup my files. My question is this: if I backup my system with Time Machine, then connect that TM backup to the new iMac, will I be able to fully restore my OS X installation from my MacBook onto the new iMac?

I know TM was meant to do this, in essence, but I'm wondering if it will work cross-model, since different models have different hardware specs and such which may require different driver setups and the likes. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2008, 05:15 PM

It would make more sense, I think, to use Migration Assistant. It was meant to do this, whereas Time Machine was not necessarily.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

jsyoung82  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2008, 07:42 PM

But, can Migration Assistant take information from a TM backup drive, or would I need to actually clone the drive (using CCC or similar) in order to be able to use Migration Assistant?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2008, 09:53 PM

You can use TM to transfer from one Mac to another as long both support whatever version of the OS is on the TM backup.

Also, you can use Migration Assistant directly from the MacBook to the iMac via a FireWire cable. There is no need to clone the drive first to an external drive.
Vandelay Industries

jsyoung82  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2008, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the advice. I knew that I can use my MacBook as a FireWire Target drive--that's how I got my information from my Aluminum Powerbook to this MacBook--but I'm planning on selling this machine first in order to purchase the iMac, so I'm only going to have the TM hard drive available once the iMac gets here. Guess I wasn't clear...but it's good to know that I can use the TM backup to "restore" my new iMac. Thanks again.

Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2008, 10:47 PM

To latch onto this, it seems entirely idiotic to me that you can't continue time machine backups on a new Mac.

jsyoung82  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2008, 12:44 PM

It sounds like no one is quite sure whether you can use Migration Assistant from a TM backup which originated on a different model Mac. So, I guess what I'm going to do, to be 100% sure I don't lose any files important to me, is partition my external HDD so that I have enough space to use CCC to clone my disk, and use the other partition as a TM backup. I'll use the TM partition as just that until I sell my MacBook, and then try Migration Assistant from both partitions once my iMac gets here--and I'll post the resulting successes and/or failures so that we'll know for sure--unless anyone else has done this already and can tell me with absolutely certainty. Thanks again.

jsyoung82  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by jsyoung82 View Post
It sounds like no one is quite sure whether you can use Migration Assistant from a TM backup which originated on a different model Mac. So, I guess what I'm going to do, to be 100% sure I don't lose any files important to me, is partition my external HDD so that I have enough space to use CCC to clone my disk, and use the other partition as a TM backup. I'll use the TM partition as just that until I sell my MacBook, and then try Migration Assistant from both partitions once my iMac gets here--and I'll post the resulting successes and/or failures so that we'll know for sure--unless anyone else has done this already and can tell me with absolutely certainty. Thanks again.
or maybe I should say that there are conflicting reports, and I'd rather have a known working setup ready to use for when I do it, than take a chance on something that I can't find any verification for. I'll go ahead and test using TM, as I said, and let everyone know if it worked.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2008, 01:29 PM

Migration Assistant is not going to work with a TM backup. You need either your original Mac or a drive cloned from your original Mac to use MA.
Vandelay Industries

cms
Senior User
Mar 30, 2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
To latch onto this, it seems entirely idiotic to me that you can't continue time machine backups on a new Mac.
I have to agree. But I guess it's a function of the inherent "dumbness" of software. It is indeed a shame that TM can't distinguish between an entire new set of data and a new computer using exactly the same set of data.

Forum Links
Forum Rules