Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > America gets their own Top Gear [SPOILER] It's gonna suck [SPOILER]

America gets their own Top Gear [SPOILER] It's gonna suck [SPOILER]
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2010, 06:11 PM

Link

Thoughts? It looks like it's basically gonna be an American version of the most British telley show ever. I sort of hope it's a disaster.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2010, 06:28 PM

The Australian version lasted two seasons. Two seasons of lame.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Thoughts? It looks like it's basically gonna be an American version of the most British telley show ever. I sort of hope it's a disaster.
Yes it looks like a disaster, but I would hardly call Top Gear the most British show ever. It's kind of unique, or at least it was until all the copycats showed up.

What, in your mind, makes it especially birtishey?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 7, 2010, 10:42 PM

To me, Topgear is about Jeremy and the lads, who just happen to get together to have exploits with fabulous (and not so fabulous) cars. Put different people into the same setting, even in the same studio with the same writers, and you just won't have the same chemistry.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 7, 2010, 11:02 PM

If I have one knock of the trailer for the American Top Gear, it's probably that the music used isn't hilariously epic as what's heard on BBC's.

Lay the same lame music from the American promo over a BBC TG promo, and it'd probably dilute its awesomeness equally.

As for cast chemistry, I agree that Jeremy, Richard and James are a once in a lifetime synergy of personalities. But... that didn't happen immediately. Watch the first few series of the show, particularly immediately after James came aboard, and the environment definitely wasn't as meant-to-be as it's morphed into.

I'm open minded. Particularly since I get the feeling that if this were going to be a direct attempt to clone the BBC version, The History Channel wouldn't be guiding it. I'm hoping it's somewhere in between BBC's and Mythbusters.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2010, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Yes it looks like a disaster, but I would hardly call Top Gear the most British show ever. It's kind of unique, or at least it was until all the copycats showed up.

What, in your mind, makes it especially birtishey?
I should clarify. I don't think Top Gear is especially British as far as production values go and whatnot, but outside of Britain, besides Doctor Who, it's at the forefront of British telley.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2010, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
As for cast chemistry, I agree that Jeremy, Richard and James are a once in a lifetime synergy of personalities. But... that didn't happen immediately. Watch the first few series of the show, particularly immediately after James came aboard, and the environment definitely wasn't as meant-to-be as it's morphed into.
True. Sometimes the early series feel downright awkward.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 8, 2010, 01:44 PM

I just don't see the point. Part of what makes Top Gear enjoyable is british humor. There was a quote about this that I found quite fitting.

"Thick people doing thick things is not funny. Clever people doing clever things is not funny. But clever people doing thick things really is funny."

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 8, 2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
"Thick people doing thick things is not funny. Clever people doing clever things is not funny. But clever people doing thick things really is funny."
I think this quote hits the nail on the head. Brilliant and concise.

Even better, Jeremy, James and Richard aren't just clever, they're very smart and have a lot of real-world car experience, so they can do such very thick things as deciding just how to slice a car in half, or finding out whether or not they can make an Aston Martin float...and why it didn't when they tried...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 8, 2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Didn't they have a segment where they tried to teach stodgy college professors how to do burnouts?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2010, 08:49 PM

James May is the most intelligent of the bunch, a brilliant and accomplished journalist and all round geek. The Hamster is maybe not the sharpest tool in the box and Jeremy is five years old most of the time.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2010, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
James May is the most intelligent of the bunch, a brilliant and accomplished journalist and all round geek. The Hamster is maybe not the sharpest tool in the box and Jeremy is five years old most of the time.
It annoys me how, in the last three seasons especially, Jeremy's dumbed himself down. When you hear him speak elsewhere, he's quite a bright man who knows a lot about cars and technical things that are relegated to James on the show.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2010, 12:29 AM

American Stiggy is 500 lbs, everyone will beat his lap time.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

hayesk
Aug 9, 2010, 03:15 PM

The commentary will also be ruined by advertising. BBC Top Gear is not beholden to advertisers - I would bet that American one will be. "Now it's time for the General Motors Cool Wall..."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2010, 04:50 PM

Would be funny if the BBC Top Gear made an American Top Gear title card to place on the seriously uncool part of the Cool Wall.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Thorzdad
Aug 9, 2010, 06:50 PM

When I first heard about a US version of Top Gear, I held very, very low hopes. After watching that trailer, I fear my hopes were far too high. It does nothing to make me want to watch the show.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2010, 11:04 PM

Oh dear. It's all gone wrong.

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 10, 2010, 12:23 AM

Oh cock.

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010, 07:07 PM

If Adam Carolla was still a part of it, I think it would have a chance, his Carcast is good...

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2010, 10:11 PM

Carolla is a neat dude who would have worked well here in my opinion.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 12, 2010, 10:21 PM

Adam Carolla explains why he's not doing Top Gear USA — Autoblog

Apparently, Carolla has a pilot sitcom that he's currently taping for NBC, and the Peacock wouldn't let the funny man away long enough to join History's Top Gear USA. Sad for all, as reports from those who attended the taping of the NBC pilot almost universally praised Carolla's performance on the show.

Perhaps the most disappointed of all is Carolla himself, who openly dishes on the May 17 edition of his CarCast that he hopes his NBC sitcom is canceled so he can rejoin Top Gear

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
What, the 1977-1978 episodes?

There was a similar cast chemistry between Clarkson and the others (Tiff, Quentin, Steve Berry) in the '90s eps. It's all about Jezza. Fit in around him and it works, don't fit in around him and it doesn't.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2010, 12:58 PM

****ing hell.

Yet another thing that when brought up, one has to specify, "No, no, no, the original! Not that sucks**t pile of crap US remake."

The only thing that ever broke that pattern was the US version of The Office.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
****ing hell.

Yet another thing that when brought up, one has to specify, "No, no, no, the original! Not that sucks**t pile of crap US remake."

If it's any consolation, when we try to remake your stuff it always turns out badly too. They tried with "Married With Children" and it lasted about two eps before it got canned.
"Married for Life" (1996)
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

hayesk
Aug 24, 2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
****ing hell.

Uhm... it did? The US version was good - for a few seasons, but it's well past its prime. The UK version was better and knew when it was time to end.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2010, 12:46 AM

The US version of The Office is still completely amazing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules