Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Official hacking Leopard's GUI thread.

Official hacking Leopard's GUI thread. (Page 2)
Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 4, 2007, 01:58 PM

Yes

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 4, 2007, 02:01 PM

The Extras2.rsrc is used by Intel Macs right?

Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2007, 02:26 PM

It should be... I don't think that CPU type should have anything to do with it.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 4, 2007, 02:30 PM

Well they gained a Extras.rsrc since I themed long ago.

Oh nos.. All I know is, the hacks I am making is working on MY machine.

I am just messing with this now. I am sure I will have it all figured out once the graphics stuff is done. It's trickier than one thinks. I wish I had Apple's theme maker!

I do admit ThemePark has gotten better. I just still hate the side scroll nonsense that they have going on right now. Bad GUI decision.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
BTW here is some more Apple consistency.

Lovely.
What is that from? This doesn't occur for me in any inactive window I've noticed.

Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2007, 03:20 PM

Downloads window, I think

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 4, 2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
What is that from? This doesn't occur for me in any inactive window I've noticed.
Try safari

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2007, 05:32 PM

Kevin, did you change the scroll bars by changing them in Extras(2).rsrc? Or some other location?

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
It should be... I don't think that CPU type should have anything to do with it.
Actually it does. Extras.rsrc is for PPC-based Macs and PPC applications running under Rosetta only. Extras2.rsrc is for Universal/Intel only applications running on an Intel-based Mac. That's how things worked on Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2007, 05:33 PM

Really? Why?

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 4, 2007, 06:28 PM

Well then I will edit both. I am just editing the Extras.rsrc and it's changing EVERYTHING on my PPC machine.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2007, 06:42 PM

Try safari
I'm not seein' it anywhere.

How is it reproduced exactly?

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 4, 2007, 06:51 PM

Fad you on an Intel box? Might only be in the original Extras.rsrc. I'll take a look at it tomorrow. My themeing is done for today. The scroll bars and thumbs were a PITA enough.

I know it's just not MY computer because I got the bug from another forum.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2007, 07:25 PM

I am indeed on an Intel Mac.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2007, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Really? Why?
Extras.rsrc and Extras2.rsrc are coded differently for the two architectures. For exact details you might want to contact Apple.

Well then I will edit both. I am just editing the Extras.rsrc and it's changing EVERYTHING on my PPC machine.
So the scroll bars are still drawn from Extras(2).rsrc on Mac OS X Leopard?

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 4, 2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
Extras.rsrc and Extras2.rsrc are coded differently for the two architectures. For exact details you might want to contact Apple.

Yes, some elements still are and others are not, really another anoyyance with Apple and the GUI. The most important element needing change IMO is the titlebar widgets and they are one of the elements which are code implemented.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 4, 2007, 08:13 PM

I just said I was only editing the Extras.rsrc as of right now. I've not touched the Extras2.rsrc. Everything has changed. There are no aqua elements in any of my apps or OS.
The most important element needing change IMO is the titlebar widgets and they are one of the elements which are code implemented.
Yup, already tried it. Don't work. They are only getting CERTAIN elements from the extras. It just so happens to be ones I am editing.

I expect when Resolution Independence shows up, most of the Extras.rsrc crap will be gone. Hopefully. And good riddance.

That file still has TONS of resources Apple doesn't use anymore.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 4, 2007, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
I am indeed on an Intel Mac.
Then it's probably just a bug in the PPC Extras.rsrc

I'll look at it tomorrow. And BTW the way that OS X draws it's scrollbars, there is no way to make and "grabbies" in the middle.

arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2007, 09:32 PM

the reason for the two versions of Extras.rsrc is the differing endianness of the two platforms. I believe there's some difference in all the resources, but the frameworks for reading resource files take most of the differences out, with the exception of the pxm resources, which are actually different IIRC. (I haven't messed with them in a few months, but this is my memory from the last time)

Visualize
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2007, 10:07 PM

( Last edited by Visualize; Nov 5, 2007 at 10:18 AM. Reason: none)

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2007, 11:42 PM

how about showing a screenshot?

Visualize
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2007, 04:46 AM

( Last edited by Visualize; Nov 5, 2007 at 10:18 AM. Reason: none)

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 5, 2007, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
The fact that I posted about this same issue does nothing for you people? Would it have helped if you didn't have to click a thumbnail? You poor things.
I humbly apologize that I missed your first condescending post. Causing you to post another.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 5, 2007, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by roosta View Post
how about showing a screenshot?
I am still messing with the thumbs to make it look right, But here is a screenshot of what it looks like now. Thumb mods I have done, I haven't loaded yet.

As you can tell, the thumbs, and ends haven't been changed yet at this point.

I am out of practice. That took me forever.

But it's getting easier.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 5, 2007, 06:11 AM

Here is another

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2007, 07:28 AM

Here is another
SWEET. Can you make a version where the sliders match the slivery grey of everything else in the entire system, rather than that freaky sickly blue that matches..... uh.... hmmmm.... dang.... I have no idea.... what were those freaky sickly blue sliders in iTunes supposed to match again?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 5, 2007, 07:42 AM

Yeah I plan on making the finder match iTunes completely eventually. With no 3rd party application needed.

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2007, 09:56 AM

Here is another

looks good. where did you find the scroll bar parts originally?

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 5, 2007, 10:26 AM

Possibly in iTunes.rsrc but I imagine he created them from scratch.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2007, 12:16 PM

You can get the scroll bars straight from iPhoto '08. All the .tiff files you'll ever need are in there.

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2007, 03:13 PM

You can get the scroll bars straight from iPhoto '08. All the .tiff files you'll ever need are in there.
cool, what i meant to ask is where the leopard scrollbars that get replaced are.
never thought about using iphoto parts before though....

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2007, 03:49 PM

I managed to replace the default progress and scroll bars with the AquaExtreme ones. Much better than both the defaults and the ones from iTunes IMO.

cool, what i meant to ask is where the leopard scrollbars that get replaced are.
never thought about using iphoto parts before though....
Extras.rsrc and Extras2.rsrc

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 5, 2007, 05:08 PM

Yes without question, peverything Max made for Aqua Extreme is better than Apple's elements.

geirisk8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2007, 06:13 PM

I would like those scrollbars, the ones that are in iTunes and Iphoto, in the overall system. Is anyone thinking about creating an installer for the public who would like it ?

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 5, 2007, 07:03 PM

Ok, It rained today so I did something I haven't done in over two years; drum roll...
Downloaded Themepark, fired up Photoshop and got to work on the scrollbars as Kevin has been doing.
I've got them all done but the "Chevron" column widener/narrowing graphic has moved since the last time I did this stuff. Can any one point me to its location?

***Edit-
Nevermind, its in the Resources folder with Extras.rsrc as a standalone file... sheesh

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2007, 07:19 PM

I gave the whole iTunes scroll bar thing a try too, but I thought it looked a bit out of place with all the other elements still being Aqua and all. Too bad we can't replace those.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 5, 2007, 07:19 PM

Well scratch that, I guess I am still looking for it. Even after a restart the modded image wont show.

Probably one of the vector pieces which we haven't figured out yet. How Apple of them...

Just a little thorn in the side of having unified scrollers; the last little piece sticks out like a red, yellow or green widget...

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 5, 2007, 07:21 PM

I gave the whole iTunes scroll bar thing a try too, but I thought it looked a bit out of place with all the other elements still being Aqua and all. Too bad we can't replace those.
While not optimal, they look superior with Graphite in appearance prefs selected as opposed to the traffic lights.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by swiz View Post
While not optimal, they look superior with Graphite in appearance prefs selected as opposed to the traffic lights.
Yeah while I definitely agree, I figured they break consistency that way even more than when keeping things fully Aqua (Extreme).

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
SWEET. Can you make a version where the sliders match the slivery grey of everything else in the entire system, rather than that freaky sickly blue that matches..... uh.... hmmmm.... dang.... I have no idea.... what were those freaky sickly blue sliders in iTunes supposed to match again?
Yeah I plan on making the finder match iTunes completely eventually. With no 3rd party application needed.
That's not what I said at all.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 5, 2007, 09:26 PM

Yeah while I definitely agree, I figured they break consistency that way even more than when keeping things fully Aqua (Extreme).
I would totally agree aside from the fact(?) with the new window texture, and even moreso on machines like my iBook where the menubar is simply gray, the Candy-like appearance of the Aqua stuff is clashy. If I cant get to the window textures and menubar, I'll just try to make a move toward more consistent... even if it is more subtle and monotonous.

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2007, 01:58 AM

i've gotten this far. as soon as i can get some more pieces modified, i'll release what i've done into the wild and let those who want it have it.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2007, 04:28 AM

I would totally agree aside from the fact(?) with the new window texture, and even moreso on machines like my iBook where the menubar is simply gray, the Candy-like appearance of the Aqua stuff is clashy. If I cant get to the window textures and menubar, I'll just try to make a move toward more consistent... even if it is more subtle and monotonous.
You could try that. Basically anything that looks too different from Aqua, will end up breaking consistency even more simply because the amount of elements we can still change are very limited.

That said, we should still explore the options.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2007, 07:29 AM

i've gotten this far. as soon as i can get some more pieces modified, i'll release what i've done into the wild and let those who want it have it.

NICE! Now THAT's what I'm talking about!!!!!!! I can't wait to try it! Excellent!!!!

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 6, 2007, 11:09 AM

I managed to replace the default progress and scroll bars with the AquaExtreme ones. Much better than both the defaults and the ones from iTunes IMO.
Yeah I did that first hoping It'd like it. And I didn't.

BTW did you make sure to get Max's permission to give out modified versions of his work? It's very important to do that. That is why I never gave out the hacked version I did when I first got Leopard.

You can't? What elements are you referring to? Because I've been replacing them.

As far as breaking consistency, 10.5 has already done that. I am just trying to make it match iTunes. that is all. And I am almost there.

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2007, 12:18 PM

has anyone tried to replace the traffic light buttons in the upper left of the finder?

i placed new ones in Extras2,rsrc but they didn't take hold.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 6, 2007, 12:54 PM

You can't? What elements are you referring to? Because I've been replacing them.
I think he's referring to the title-bar traffic lights.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2007, 01:16 PM

BTW did you make sure to get Max's permission to give out modified versions of his work? It's very important to do that. That is why I never gave out the hacked version I did when I first got Leopard.
What are you talking about? I didn't give out anything.

As far as breaking consistency, 10.5 has already done that. I am just trying to make it match iTunes. that is all. And I am almost there.
Checkboxes, confirmation buttons, radial buttons, sliders, list headers, column resizing glyphs the list goes on and on. Just replacing the scroll bars looks like crap with all the other Aqua elements still in place.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 6, 2007, 01:41 PM

I think he's referring to the title-bar traffic lights.
Well my goal was to make the finder match iTunes.. soo..
What are you talking about? I didn't give out anything.
My apologies. I thought I saw a link to download said file.
Checkboxes, confirmation buttons, radial buttons, sliders, list headers, column resizing glyphs the list goes on and on. Just replacing the scroll bars looks like crap with all the other Aqua elements still in place.
Just wait and see. I was once told that I couldn't change the scroll bars either.

BTW even if JUST the scroll bars were to be changed, it would be an improvement. At least the applications would be consistent. And they look no more out of place than the Aqua ones do with the "Unified" looking GUI.

My hack is just temporary measures till Apple gets it's GUI act together. Obviously 10.5 is in-between stages.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 6, 2007, 01:44 PM

Well my goal was to make the finder match iTunes.. soo..
Are you changing iTunes window widgets to the new Finder ones then since we cant change the Finders now?

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 6, 2007, 01:47 PM

Are you changing iTunes window widgets to the new Finder ones then since we cant change the Finders now?
There is already a hack out there that does it, but yes. I've already done that.

Again my mission is to get iTunes and the Finder to match as closely as possible. The stuff I can't change, I can't change. (but some of the stuff that was mentioned that wasn't changeable seems to be. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules