Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme N without other clients

Airport Extreme N without other clients
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2007, 12:34 PM

I've always been under the impression that with the new Airport Extreme Basestation it will perform at N speeds unless there are G or B clients on the wireless network, then it'll slow down.
I am not seeing this.

If I set my Radio Mode to 802.11n (802.11b/g compatible), and the only wireless device I have on my network is my new MacBook (802.11N) the network speed slows down to a transmit rate of around 20 (option click airport icon in menubar). If I set the Radio Mode to 802.11n only (5GHz) the transmit rate goes up to 270.

The problem with this is that my PowerBook, iPhone, and Wii cannot use the wireless network while it is set to N only.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why when it is 802.11n, (802.11b/g compatible), even though there are no b/g clients, it is at a b/g speed? I thought it should be N speed, until b/g clients are on it.
I'm almost at the point of buying an Airport Express and setting up a separate network just for my Wii, iPhone and PowerBook. This wouldn't be that big of a deal except I use the Airport Disk and transferring files to and from it is very slow if it isn't on N speeds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules