Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > At what point do you usually sell your machine or buy a new one?

At what point do you usually sell your machine or buy a new one?
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2010, 12:08 AM

I've had my MacBook Pro for about 4 years now. I bought it on the refurb store for about $1400. It's a 2.16Ghz C2D MBP, 2 GB RAM, 120GB, non-LED display. So as you can see, it's a bit dated by today's standards. I got an offer on it for $800.

So here is my question...at what point do you sell your machine or look at buying a new machine? Do you ride it til it dies, or do you try to sell it while it still has some value, take a small loss, and buy a machine that is bigger/faster/prettier/more equipped for future use?

I ask this because I really don't have any particular reason to sell mine. It still performs perfectly. It does everything I need it to do. I've kept it very clean and in great condition. All I really use it for is iTunes, watching some music videos, ripping a few DVDs, some very light photo editing, and regular internet usage.

However, part of me would like to sell it while I can still get a decent amount of money out of it. Considering the updates that have been released since I purchased my machine and how saturated the market is with MBPs, I think I would be doing pretty well getting $800 for it.

I would most likely put that $800 towards a newer MBP or possibly a 27" iMac.

So what do you think? Get the money out of it while I still can, or am I just being stupid selling a machine that still works perfectly?
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2010, 12:20 AM

I always say that it's time to upgrade for me when I begin to feel limited by what I can do with my machine. Of course, sometimes you don't feel limited until you get your new Mac... Then it's all put in perspective.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2010, 03:00 AM

I’m writing this post on a 2003 12inch PowerBook. I use it for my email and iTunes library. I use my other newer Macs for Final Cut/Aperture/Photoshop.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2010, 03:53 AM

When ram upgrades get too expensive.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2010, 04:15 AM

I used to buy a new powerbook/MBP every year. I waited till a new model was 6 months old, then bought it second hand for a few 100€'s less than the current catalogue price. This way I had continuously the latest machine for the smallest price.

The MBP I have now I used for 2 years, I will use it until it breaks down. The reason is that I am perfectly happy with the performance (2.4 Ghz, 4gb ram and 7200rpm drive) ..and I glued my company logo on the cover so I doubt people will pay for it this time.

I am only looking forward to a MBP release that makes a noticeable difference : quadcore, SSD, 8Gb ram, LED screen, perhaps touch technology...

technology is changing towards cloud computing, virtualisation, social media. It changes computing.
( Last edited by PB2K; Jul 21, 2010 at 04:21 AM. )
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2010, 08:06 AM

When my old machine starts t have 'problems'. I blew the dust out of my old G5 2gig and since then the smaller fan goes full force. Temp re-calibration didn't help. I just took the speaker/fan bracket out, and used it anyway. I was offered a 2.66 Dual Mac Pro with 8GB of RAM for around 300 bucks. Now my old G5 is running 10.3 Server and my new MacPro is running Snow Leopard.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2010, 08:29 AM

Every two years - my brother gets my old laptop as a gift (he's a poor music performance major) and I get a new toy.

OreoCookie
Jul 21, 2010, 08:54 AM

I think the price you're offered is quite good. That alone would make me consider getting an upgraded machine. The Core i5/i7 ProBooks are a very, very worthy upgrade, perhaps you can pick up a nice refurbished Pro Book? (Piece of advice: definitely opt for the high-res screen!)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2010, 09:05 AM

For a while It was every year and a halfish. Last gen 12 inch Powerbook(I miss this one the most)--> 13 inch white Macbook--> 20 inch iMac (2008).... I've had the iMac for 2 years now and I love it. I think my next upgrade will be when I graduate this upcoming spring and hopefully the next-gen iMac's will be out.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2010, 09:27 AM

I usually donate old machines.
The MacPros I have will be upgraded until I can't upgrade anymore, then donated.

Buying new portables is a different thing - I have a couple of MacBookPros that are getting long in the tooth, but am holding out for the new MacBookAir, whenever the heck that comes out (408 days now).
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2010, 09:55 AM

I've never sold any of my Macs. I still have my MDD, although its utility is now rather limited. My G4 ibook I replaced last summer (after exactly 5 years of usage) with my current 13" MBP.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2010, 10:08 AM

I'm considering selling the MBP for $800 and applying those funds to a refurb 27" iMac - 3.06Ghz C2D, 4GB (expandable to 16GB), 1TB. The list price on the iMac is $1449. I've messed around with these iMacs at the Apple store a number of times and I'm just blown away by the huge display, the smooth and compact form factor, and of course the performance. Buuut part of me is afraid to lose the portability of my MBP. I don't really travel or take it with me places, but I really like being able to sit on the couch and move around the house with it. Maybe I could get an entry level iPad to satisfy those needs?

I'm also considering getting a refurb MBP, 2.53Ghz, 4GB, 320GB for the same price as the iMac - $1449 (or a 2.4Ghz, 2GB, 250GB for $1299 - is the 1st MBP really worth the extra $150?).

Which would you choose? I'm not usually this indecisive, gaahh!!
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 21, 2010, 10:22 AM

For general couch and around-the-house internet use, an iPad or netbook would be plenty.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
For general couch and around-the-house internet use, an iPad or netbook would be plenty.
Thats what I'm thinking. My girlfriend has an iPad and I really like it. For surfing the web, watching a few YouTube videos, Facebooking, listening to music, etc., it works really well! Also, I usually fly 2-3 times a year and I think it would make a great travel companion in those situations. Now its just a matter of justifying spending the money on both an iMac AND an iPad!
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2010, 10:48 AM

Every two years, on average.

Not sure if the new iPhone holds enough of an appeal to get me to upgrade from my 3GS.

hayesk
Jul 21, 2010, 05:24 PM

About six months before AppleCare runs out. It fetches a higher price when it has AppleCare - gives the buyer a sense of security.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2010, 05:41 PM

I buy when my old machine can no longer do 50% of the tasks that are becoming commonplace, coupled with finding a decent deal on a new Mac.

My G4 lasted a long time, but it ended up heavily upgraded. I imagine my current iMac will have a much shorter life-span.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2010, 05:43 PM

I'm on my third Mac now, the previous two (Performa and PowerMac G4) lasted over 5 years each and I've had the MacBook now for about 3 years. In a perfect world where I have money, my next Mac would probably be an i5 or i7 based machine.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2010, 07:14 PM

I get a new one when I give mine to a homeless person.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2010, 07:21 PM

Getting new Macs is stupid, and you're an idiot for buying a new Mac. You don't have to be a genius to maintain an old Mac. Just keep up on regular maintenance, drop a few bucks in here and there, and you're good to go for forever.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2010, 07:22 PM

About every two years. Went from a '04 iBook G4 to a Rev. A MacBook (the black one, bless it's soul). That one was a lemon, so I upgraded to a Rev. A 15" Unibody MBP in October 2008.

I tend to buy the bleeding edge machines, but other than the MacBook they would probably hold up longer. I ended up selling the iBook for parts for $200ish a couple years back, as the logic board died at some point, which was apparently pretty common on that model.

My current machine (the MBP) was top of the line when I bought it, with max RAM, GPU, and HDD, so even though it's nearing two years old, I will probably hold onto this one for a bit longer, as it's still pretty fast. I will probably upgrade my desktop first, as I'm still on a 2000 PowerMac G4 that, sadly, has gotten to that wonderful place where you can't upgrade any of the software/hardware because it's too damn old. That will likely be replaced by a 27" iMac in the next 6 months or so.

I'd also like to pick up a Mac mini server down the road, so I'm probably going to hold onto this laptop for another year or two.

PS: I tend up upgrade my iPhone every two years as well, or every other model. Skipped the original and the 3GS, I'm just waiting on the white model to become available before I upgrade that as well.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Getting new Macs is stupid, and you're an idiot for buying a new Mac. You don't have to be a genius to maintain an old Mac. Just keep up on regular maintenance, drop a few bucks in here and there, and you're good to go for forever.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 22, 2010, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
I get a new one when I give mine to a homeless person.
Ha!

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Ha!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 22, 2010, 10:51 AM

I just bought a refurb iMac because my old 1st gen intel was being a complete slut about having only Safari & iTunes open. It was just a beachball fest. When you physically want to punch a computer, its time to upgrade.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I just bought a refurb iMac because my old 1st gen intel was being a complete slut about having only Safari & iTunes open. It was just a beachball fest. When you physically want to punch a computer, its time to upgrade.
YouTube - Girlfriend Deletes WOW Characters, Dude Destroys Computer

On topic, I replaced my 7100/80 when I had enough cash for a new iMac DV. I replaced the iMac with an iBook when I went to college. Four years and a bicycle accident later and the iBook bit the dust, so I got an C2D Mini, which I still have. I could see myself replacing it with a new Mini, but not anytime soon.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2010, 01:49 AM

"When you physically want to punch a computer, its time to upgrade."

With great wisdom etc. etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules