Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Nike +

iPod Nike +
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2010, 06:36 PM

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway. I just ordered a new (refurb) current gen iPod Nano. After four years using my last nano, I left it out in my car and left the sunroof open over night (STUPID!) and it rained...and I had the iPod sitting in the cup holder...with about 2 inches of water...for about 12 hours. Bah!! Anyway, I want to use the Nike + kit. Do I need to get the adapter that plugs into the Nano, or does the current generation have that built in? I see it's $29 for the complete kit and $19 for the shoe implant.

Thanks!
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2010, 06:59 PM

I don't believe so. You're going to need the complete kit.

From Apple's web site:

Grab your iPod nano, your Nike+ shoes, and the Nike + iPod Sport Kit (available separately). Put the sensor in the built-in pocket just under the insole. Then connect the receiver to your iPod nano. The sensor tracks your run, then sends the data to your iPod nano.
Apple - iPod nano - Fitness - Stay fit with the new iPod nano.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 27, 2010, 08:33 PM

Yeah, the new Nano comes with an FM radio, but not the wireless guts needed for Nike +. On the other hand, when you plug the sensor into the iPod, it immediately knows about it and adds the Nike menu option. I'm running mine with both my iPhone (which doesn't need the sensor) and a 2nd Gen Nano Product Red, which I love.
Gratuitous (and stolen) image of an iPod just like mine:

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Yeah, the new Nano comes with an FM radio, but not the wireless guts needed for Nike +. On the other hand, when you plug the sensor into the iPod, it immediately knows about it and adds the Nike menu option. I'm running mine with both my iPhone (which doesn't need the sensor) and a 2nd Gen Nano Product Red, which I love.
Gratuitous (and stolen) image of an iPod just like mine:
I had the silver nano just like that. It really made for the perfect workout companion. I always found the classic and touch to be a bit too bulky for my taste when working out. I like the tight, smooth form factor of those nanos too. The new nanos just feel a bit...chincy to me. Hopefully it'll grow on me though.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2010, 09:38 PM

So the built in pedometer only serves as a sort of pedometer application that comes on the new nanos? For some reason I was thinking that with the new nanos, the pedometer served the same function as the part that plugged into the bottom on the older nanos with the Nike kit. That isn't the case though, correct? Haha, I don't know why I'm having such a difficult time wrapping my head around this, lol.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 27, 2010, 11:55 PM

The pedometer is just a pedometer.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2010, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
The pedometer is just a pedometer.
Good enough, thanks!

Man, I've read some pretty mixed reviews on this thing (Apple store reviews). Half the people seem to love it and half seem to think its total crap.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Forum Links
Forum Rules