Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Initial Page Load Delay

Initial Page Load Delay
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2013, 04:24 PM

I am currently trying to determine why there is a long initial delay when loading any website no matter the browser I use on my Mac Pro (10.7.5), which is connected to the 3G router by Ethernet.

Any other Mac on the same network doesn't show this behavior, be it a PowerPC Mac or an intel Mac. Even my old iPhone 3GS is faster than the Mac Pro at loading websites, at least the 1st hit, hereafter loading times on the Mac Pro are rather fast.

I've tried to flush the DNS cache, to use a different set of DNS as suggested by namebench, I've tried to rely on Wi-Fi instead of Ethernet… but even so, there is this 20 seconds initial page load delay you can't help but notice which becomes annoying to say the least.

Suggestion are most likely welcome.

TIA

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2013, 07:38 PM

Have you tried using web developer tools to profile the page loading?

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2013, 02:15 AM

It would be great if you could point me in the direction of such a thing. Albeit it is particularly unattractive for me to get into such approach cause I have zero clue on how to approach it.

I found sites like Pingdom but it seems aimed to test your own websites which I have zero.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2013, 04:44 AM

I think I have found the culprit. This Firefox extension, Media Hint I use to get access to HULU. Once it's been disabled, load times are back to normal. I don't know why it should interfere with another browsers, though.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 9, 2013, 08:33 AM

It's probably scanning the page you're trying to load for links to media. Since turning it off restored your expected load speeds, you've obviously found the primary cause; I'd leave it off unless you're trying to get Hulu media. The exact mechanism really isn't important to us, but I'd let the developer know you're having this issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2013, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I think I have found the culprit. This Firefox extension, Media Hint I use to get access to HULU. Once it's been disabled, load times are back to normal. I don't know why it should interfere with another browsers, though.
Thats a nifty add-on. Hadn't stumbled across that before. Does it work on any other US streaming services?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules