Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Joining Airport Express when reboot or wake from sleep

Joining Airport Express when reboot or wake from sleep
GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2006, 09:17 AM

I'm running Tiger and have a Linsys wirelessG router set up for my network. I also have an airport express that I use solely for Airtunes (and possibly wireless printing in the near future). When I boot up or wake from sleep with my Powerbook, it joins the Airport Express by default instead of the Linksys. I want it to join the Linksys by default because 1) it's faster and 2) it allows me to see the other computers on the network. I only want to use the Express for iTunes and not to extend my wireless connection. I've looked and searched for a setting to no avail. I've even deleted the Airport Express from the list in the Network system prefs but it just reappears. Is there a setting to make the Powerbook join the Linksys everytime or am I asking too much? Maybe just a brain cramp missing a simple setting?

Thanks.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 21, 2006, 10:03 AM

"Preferred Network" setting in AirPort settings-you choose which network it should connect to by default and if the card can't find that one it asks which of the available ones you want to connect to. You DO have the Express set up with a different network name from the Linksys, don't you?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

GuyWithACamera  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2006, 12:45 PM

OK, when I tried that before it didn't work. Now it does. Either I'm a dork or my system is posessed. Thanks.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 21, 2006, 10:23 PM

Maybe the ghosts LEFT your machine... Whatever, if it works now it works!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules