Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Audiophile help needed, mysterious connector.

Audiophile help needed, mysterious connector.
sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 01:16 PM

We recently finished off our deck/wheelchair ramp by adding two outdoor 100w speakers mounted under the covered area (pics of this deck coming soon, you will be impressed). The problem is that my father bought an el cheapo 5.1 surround sound system from Best Buy years back, so there are no extra speaker hookups. AIso, just found out there is no 'Line Out' for audio either in the back of the unit. (Which I would have ran into a pre-amp to amplify the outdoor speaks)

Further investigation yielded the discovery that the receiver/DVD unit sends the audio to the Subwoofer, which in turn powers the speakers, via a connector I've never seen before.

Quickly browsing for the model of Surround System didn't help me with my mystery connector at all. All I need to know is the following.

Can I split this connector (or buy a splitter or 'Y' adapter) and run a second audio line to a pre-amp of sorts to handle the amplification and volume of the outside speakers? Right now (just to test if the outdoor speakers work) the extra wires are just jammed in with the regular speakers, meaning it sounds like crap. I'm not looking to spend much at all, but any help is appreciated.

Also, I know I might be using the term preamp incorrectly, but there's a reason I'm asking for help.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2009, 01:18 PM

First, I need to get some vital info before I can answer your question correctly: Will the system be powering BOSE® speakers?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 01:20 PM

I'm pretty sure that's just the connector for the subwoofer. (Can Speakers be used from an integrated Panasonic Home Theatre system???)

You apparently need a K1HA25HA0001 cable: Panasonic K1HA25HA0001 Subwoofer Cable, System Cable, 13 ft.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2009, 01:24 PM

Um, wait.

AFAICS, the DVD/Receiver connects to the sub using the proprietary 23-pin connector.

The regular speakers are then connected to the sub using those pinch-connectors.

Or are you looking to use the sub with a different control unit?

In that case, you need to break out the cable:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/subwo...-sb-wa310.html

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 02:00 PM

The control unit and sub are staying, all I need to do is find a way to play music indoor and outdoors from the same head unit. Right now the outdoor speaker wire is jammed in the pinch-connectors with the regular front channel speaker wire.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but that socket shown in the picture usually has the cable (that nonhuman posted) plugged into it. That cable feeds the sub which then has the pinch-connectors for the main and surround speaks on its rear panel.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
First, I need to get some vital info before I can answer your question correctly: Will the system be powering BOSE® speakers?
Nope, they're NuTone brand.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
You apparently need a K1HA25HA0001 cable: Panasonic K1HA25HA0001 Subwoofer Cable, System Cable, 13 ft.
That, indeed, is the cable in question. I don't need to buy a new one, the unit still works fine, I'm just baffled on how to obtain the audio signal from this type of connector and split it to a separate amplifier in order to properly power the outdoor speaks.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 20, 2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
That, indeed, is the cable in question. I don't need to buy a new one, the unit still works fine, I'm just baffled on how to obtain the audio signal from this type of connector and split it to a separate amplifier in order to properly power the outdoor speaks.
It's possible that the cable doesn't have any outputs that aren't speaker-level signals, making it hard to adapt for a line-out situation.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 02:37 PM

I suppose I could always find a way to simply modify the pinch-connectors to have two sets of wire inputs and a method of selecting either one, that way the outdoor speakers don't fight with the indoor speakers for wattage.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2009, 04:32 PM

Looks like some proprietary connector. If you have a friend that's an electronics engineer, he may be able to rig up something for you.

FWIW, no audiophile would buy something like that, it looks very "Bose-like".
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 20, 2009, 04:43 PM

BUT THE INFOMERCIAL SAID THAT BOSE IS AWESOME. allcaps

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2009, 05:54 PM

BIG SOUND, small package.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2009, 05:57 PM

(that's what she said)

/still got nothin'
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 05:59 PM

The general consensus seems to be I'm boned. Even If I could swap out the receiver for one with more outputs it would mean losing the ability to use the sub.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2009, 07:59 PM

Craigslist is.... definitely your friend at the moment
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Rumor
Jul 20, 2009, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
BIG SOUND, small package.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The general consensus seems to be I'm boned. Even If I could swap out the receiver for one with more outputs it would mean losing the ability to use the sub.
You could get a new receiver with some line outs and run those into the old receiver to power just the sub.

Forum Links
Forum Rules