Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Interesting 17 Rev A heat issue?

Interesting 17 Rev A heat issue?
danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2003, 02:38 AM

I've had a 17" Rev A for a few months and almost never turn it off - I simply close the lid and it goes into standby mode. I typically work with this machine in the evening and oftentimes store it under my bed (am laying in bed watching the boob tube and typing away now) and, interestingly enough, when I reachd under the bed to pull it out tonight, the entire unit was HOT!!! The temp monitor I have on the powerbook said something like 138 degrees F. Ouch.

It was hot to the touch. I had to reboot because I couldn't get the system to respond. I wonder why? I leave this machine under the bed every day and have never had a hot machine after letting it sit...

What gives?

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2003, 09:52 AM

Uhm, how large is the gap between the powerbook and your bed? I would fathom that it is not able to dissipate heat properly, especially if you are trapping heat right above the book.

Karim
Senior User
Dec 12, 2003, 07:23 PM

What happened is your PB must not have gone to sleep when you closed it. Probably you had an OS lockup that prevented the sleep routine from executing.

When you grabbed it later it had already been on, generating lots of heat. BTW, 138F is not that hot, the fans tend to go on high at 140F and keep it from getting more than that.

danbrew  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2003, 09:01 PM

Thanks, Karim, that was probably it.

To the other guy - I normally just insert the PB between the two mattresses and have no problems.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2003, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by danbrew:
I normally just insert the PB between the two mattresses and have no problems.
Stupid thing to do. Find a better place to keep your PB.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2003, 10:59 PM

If you put a laptop that was just running at 138 degrees between a mattress where do you think the heat is going to go? Nowehre, it is going to sti on the laptop and not dissipate.

I don't want to tell you how to take care of your laptop, but you're taking a really big risk doing that with it.

danbrew  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2003, 11:08 PM

Come on.... sarcasm filer was on.

Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by danbrew:
Come on.... sarcasm filer was on.
Yup, mine got filed away correctly.. i wonder why yours didn't work? Admins?
( Last edited by 11011001; Dec 13, 2003 at 12:49 AM. )

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2003, 01:14 AM

All I have to say is this. Simply put if your putting your powerbook between your mattress and the bed springs you could be the idiot of the month. Sorry to be so harsh but what are you thinking. I would love to know because apples user guide gives strict rules about this. You need to give it air man LOL.

It gets better and better doesn't it.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2003, 01:19 AM

My sarcasm filter is broken right now, I'm in the midst of finals (only one semester left!) and working on a beast of a research project.

I can't wait to graduate...

Forum Links
Forum Rules