Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Where do you put your focus?

Where do you put your focus?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2005, 09:17 AM

I'm rounding up as many macs as I can to install seti@home, but I'm wondering since the project is old, if that is where most of your focus is?

Is there a certain project where Team Macnn is first in place and you are trying to hold your lead? Should I instead dedicate my CPU power to that project to help keep Macnn's prestige?

Or is Seti@home where you have the best standing?

jbcool
Senior User
Feb 1, 2005, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by macintologist:
I'm rounding up as many macs as I can to install seti@home, but I'm wondering since the project is old, if that is where most of your focus is?

Is there a certain project where Team Macnn is first in place and you are trying to hold your lead? Should I instead dedicate my CPU power to that project to help keep Macnn's prestige?

We want you to put your resources on the project that you wish to be involved in. My projects of choice are F@H (folding@home) and P@H (Predictor@home) because I feel that they might help someone in the future.

We don't have enough power to be #1 at any of the projects but we do pretty good at keeping near the top in a lot of them for no more of us than there are on the team. A great effort is made by all.

Especially those hard working people behind the curtain like reader50 and Scottheking.
Tag ur it.

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 1, 2005, 09:35 PM

I, personally, think that the best use of your computing resources would be to do seti under my name

Seriously, though... Do the one that means the most to you. I'm 100% seti. I used to do RC5 stuff way-back-when as well. But, to me there is just something cool about looking for aliens.

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Feb 1, 2005, 10:51 PM

Your choices will also be limited by the OS that your computers are running also. If you are running any flavor of Classis MacOS, you are pretty much stuck with SETI, unless RC5 still has a version that runs unders Classoc MacOS. If you are running OS X, there are plenty of options to choose from, folding@home is an excellent option. It at least has the hope of helping to cure some horrible disease.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by OneMacGuy:
Your choices will also be limited by the OS that your computers are running also. If you are running any flavor of Classis MacOS, you are pretty much stuck with SETI, unless RC5 still has a version that runs unders Classoc MacOS. If you are running OS X, there are plenty of options to choose from, folding@home is an excellent option. It at least has the hope of helping to cure some horrible disease.
As OneMacGuy mentioned, it does depend on your machine and OS. BOINC projects require OS-X 10.3.x or better. Folding@home Will work with almost any flavor of OS-X. If you don't have OS-X then you are limited to SETI Classic, RC5 (if they still have a client) or the still "very manual" Evolution@Home.

Pick what has the most meaning for you. Your help will be appreciated wherever you place it.

PROJECT DESCRIPTIONS
* SETI - Analysis of radio telescope signals in hopes of finding a signal that would indicate other intelligent life. -- We're ranked #59 out of 12,362 teams for the SETI BOINC project. Ranked #82 overal in SETI Classic, out of "a huge bunch" of teams.

* Predictor@home - a protein prediction project that attempts to utilize complex mathematics to predict how proteins will fold. Similar to the now defunct Distributed Folding Project, but using a bit more refined method, rather then the "brute force" approach of DF. Has real world potential to help with medical research. -- We're ranked #8 out of 662 teams.

* Folding@home - An excellent protein prediction and analysis program that has shown some real world scientific results. Shows a lot of promise for providing real world solutions to complex medical problems. -- Ranked #38 out of more then 36,000 teams.

* Einstein@home - A "physics" project that is attempting to find gravity waves to support Einsteins theory of relativity. Gravity waves are essentially "ripples" in space and time. Their existence may be the key to understanding the fabric of the universe, and to unlocking the possibility of long range, non-linear interstellar space flight. -- Ranked #6 out of 332 teams, but sliding. (Still closed testing by invitation only, should go public soon.)

Climate Prediction - A serious and well designed climate analysis project that has recently received significant press regarding their predicitions for global warming in the next 50 years. Could theortically impact the ability of life to survive on Earth in the future. -- We're ranked #10 out of 1,380 teams. In danger of sliding.

D2OL - This project is uncertain. We still rank high, despite the fact that many members have pulled out. A Drug docking project, but with too few upadates. Future uncertain.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 2, 2005, 01:40 AM

I'm giving all my luvin to the alien team.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Seattle
Feb 2, 2005, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by Lateralus:
I'm giving all my luvin to the alien team.
Me too. Just passed 76000 workunits.

Patrick

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 09:31 AM

I'm in RC5-72 (for now)
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

DrBoar
Senior User
Feb 2, 2005, 11:46 AM

Fold@home on most computers. Easy to run and stable over time works from 300 MHz and upwards.
For my own computers I run the CLI lean and mean! For other computers that I am alowed to use the GUI as a set and forget.

Did some D2OL but the client was so sensitive to OS upgrades I gave that up.

For classic I use SETI as that is the only client there is, RC72 does not have any current classic clients.

Forum Links
Forum Rules