Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Anyone get any toys recently or plan to get any soon?

Anyone get any toys recently or plan to get any soon?
Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 16, 2005, 03:31 AM

Just wondering what new stuff is around or coming.

Me, I got a 15" 1.5GHz Powerbook a few months ago to replace my Tibook.
Nothing coming up really soon, but I'm exploring getting 3 athlon64 3500 systems, 2 to replace athlon xp 2400s that are in need of retiring, and a third as another machine. And maybe a dual opteron 242 or 244 systems, mostly because if I build the server I'm planning, I'll need the PCI-X slots.

Anyone else?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 16, 2005, 03:58 AM

My Dual 1.8GHz 7447A G4 upgrade should be here by next week, hopefully. Still trying to decide which project to use her for. Not-optimized-for-sh!t SETI Classic, or Will-scream-on-my-3.6GHz-of-AltiVec RC5-72.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

jbcool
Senior User
Mar 16, 2005, 12:38 PM

Couple of 3400+ AMD 64 machines here. They were a decent price and I needed to replace (give away) the 2400+ and 2.4 machines to keep up with the gang.
Tag ur it.

cwasko
Senior User
Mar 16, 2005, 05:22 PM

I'm gonna purchase a Mac mini soon, probably. I'm gonna use it as a backup 'server' for my home computers - and to crunch Seti.

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2005, 09:11 PM

Just upgraded to a DP 1.8 from my old DP 800. Having it work on Folding when I'm not sucking CPU cycles for WoW

mikkyo
Senior User
Mar 19, 2005, 02:10 AM

I got a new LCD TV....
no
computers
though

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Mar 19, 2005, 08:32 AM

Just ordered and received a new Nikon D70! This camera is HOT!!! I am stoked about using it that my wife and I are going on an impromptu trip to the Smoky Mountains this morning for the weekend, just to take pictures...

I used to be a pro photographer, but got bored and moved to computers. I have a closet full of old 35 mm Minolta equipment that will now hit eBay soon. I have tried a bunch of different digital cameras, but nothing can touch an SLR.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2005, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Lateralus:
My Dual 1.8GHz 7447A G4 upgrade should be here by next week, hopefully. Still trying to decide which project to use her for. Not-optimized-for-sh!t SETI Classic, or Will-scream-on-my-3.6GHz-of-AltiVec RC5-72.
RC-5! I'm getting sick of drubbing the whole team in my sleep every day. Come give me a run for my money.

I've been looking around at low-end iMac G3s and B&W Powermacs lately. They're getting cheap enought that I can come up with excuses to buy the things without it being a big deal. "Hmmm... I need a terminal in production for ink formulas, and maybe a RIP server..."

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

mikkyo
Senior User
Mar 19, 2005, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
I've been looking around at low-end iMac G3s and B&W Powermacs lately. They're getting cheap enought that I can come up with excuses to buy the things without it being a big deal. "Hmmm... I need a terminal in production for ink formulas, and maybe a RIP server..."
You mean, "Hmmm, I need something that will cost more to run than its usefulness."

If you want a cheap crunch box(or RIP) try a mac mini.
Much more powerful than an old B&W G3, uses less power, produces less heat and noise, comes with a bigger drive and more RAM(than a base config old G3 or iMac), and takes up way less space.
The list is really quite huge in gains.
It even has enough VRAM to play a game.
G3->G4 is a huge performance gain alone.
233MHz->1.25GHz - uh Voooom!
Hidden cost - electric bill - is probably the biggest savings with a modern machine:
B&W G3 200W without display
macmini 85W without display

Plus with a modern machine you'll actually be able to compete in the crunch arena better than several old machines.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2005, 03:46 PM

RC-5! I'm getting sick of drubbing the whole team in my sleep every day. Come give me a run for my money.

Yeah, I'll probably come back to RC5. I've already done around 50,000 blocks.

Plus, it looks like I'm going to be able to count on nearly 40m keys per second at Dual 1.8GHz or 1.87GHz should I be able to overclock it that much. That pretty much means I would have the fastest single RC5-72 machine on the team.

Bragworthy.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

reader50
Administrator
Mar 19, 2005, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by mikkyo:
Hidden cost - electric bill - is probably the biggest savings with a modern machine:
B&W G3 200W without display
macmini 85W without display
The max PS capacity will not be reached during use. It includes enough power for the FireWire port(s) as well as the PCI bus on the B&W. The Mini without anything drawing significant juice on the FW or USB ports has been measured at 28W while playing a DVD. That's moderate CPU use + optical drive. I don't know any typical figures for the B&W offhand, but it's bound to be higher.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2005, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by mikkyo:
You mean, "Hmmm, I need something that will cost more to run than its usefulness."

If you want a cheap crunch box(or RIP) try a mac mini.

I wish. I can justify $150.00 for an extra terminal (I've already got plenty of power for things I need it for) but certainly not $500.00. The point wasn't really crunching, but they'd certainly be enlisted, just the same. These terminals would be sitting idle 99% of the time, and I just can't justify the expense of minis.

Anyway, the current farm:
G5 2x2.0
G4 Sawtooth 1.25
G4 Quicksilver 2x1.0
G4 iMac 800
Cube 450
AL Powerbook 1.25

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2005, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by Lateralus:
Yeah, I'll probably come back to RC5. I've already done around 50,000 blocks.

Plus, it looks like I'm going to be able to count on nearly 40m keys per second at Dual 1.8GHz or 1.87GHz should I be able to overclock it that much. That pretty much means I would have the fastest single RC5-72 machine on the team.

Bragworthy.
Indeed. I sure wish they could get the G5 up to even clock-for-clock parity with the G4.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2005, 06:47 PM

I'm planning to replace my iPod with a PSP

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 20, 2005, 12:04 AM

Indeed. I sure wish they could get the G5 up to even clock-for-clock parity with the G4.
I wouldn't count on it happening, at leat not for a while. At this point, RC5 is too heavily reliant on AltiVec to see the G5 catch up with the G4 clock-for-clock.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2005, 09:27 PM

About the only thing I have bought is an iPod Shuffle. Haven't been real impressed with it since it has been having issues, o well. If I get some time I'm going to try to get a g4 running again which will be a file server and cruncher.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 26, 2005, 02:03 PM

Got my upgrade installed. I'm pulling around 37-38m keys per second in RC5-72 @ 1.8GHz.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Mar 27, 2005 at 12:38 PM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2005, 06:44 PM

No new toys recently, though I'd still like to get a dual Power Mac one of these days. Other priorities first though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules