Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP: Screen Tilt Angle Unacceptable To Some

MBP: Screen Tilt Angle Unacceptable To Some (Page 3)
jeebus
Feb 23, 2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
No, it's not. Why are you trying to blow the marginal reduction in screen angle out of proportion?
Exactly. None of us are saying it's not a problem, just one that isn't as big as some are making it out to be and certainly will not "cut out a sizable chunk of Apple's buying public". Honestly 95% of computer buyers are not anywhere near as educated as most ppl on these forums and will never even know of/consider the screen tilt issue.

Originally Posted by mduell
I'm not a fan of the hinge system Apple uses, but it allows them to make the screen slimmer; thin seems to be more important than function to Apple.
While I agree that thin is a very high priority for Apple (with good reason IMO) I don't know if I would agree with that first part of your statement. When Apple switched the powerbooks from a relatively standard hinge to the one they use now (went from Ti G4s to Alu G4s) the screen actually got much thicker. I have never seen ANY laptop PC or Mac with a screen as thin as the Ti PBG4. I think they use the hinge because it is stronger, allows the laptop to be seamless (like a chicklet gum) and tilts the screen at a better angle. While I think the increased screen thickness (compared to the Ti G4s) is actually due to a much stronger backlight, I don't necessarily think this particular hinge allows them to make the screens any thinner than another method.

What is stunning is that while the MBP is just as thin as the Ti G4 overall, since the screen is much thicker the actual body of the computer is even thinner than the Ti G4s already amazingly thin body. How they fit all that power into such a small body is spectacular to me (even if it does mean the laptop gets hot).

cdetdi
Feb 23, 2006, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by jeebus

Okay first of all the powerbook is a pro machine, it is designed for serious professionals doing work on the road. How many users actually use their powerbooks sitting at trees in parks?
You must be a comedian, or be a "serious" professional that is buying an aesthetically pleasing machine. I think that many "serious professionals" on the road need a durable notebook, not a pretty piece of thin Aluminum. Professionals for who, "on the road" means on trains, subways, and places where they will be bumped around. This is a reason why the Thinkpad series has done so well. And, yes, I'm sure many don't go to the park, I apologize for making a situation that is unacceptable to you.

The point still stands, however, less screen tilt limits the machine's usefulness. The machine can no longer be used on a lower platform, might not sit right on something like the iCurve, never mind taller users. I'm only 5'10 myself and I use the screen fully reclined.

Hey, and try sitting under a tree, makes tedious work go much easier.
I'd rather be playing ultimate...

1.5G4 15" AlBook

cdetdi
Feb 23, 2006, 10:11 PM

Exactly. None of us are saying it's not a problem, just one that isn't as big as some are making it out to be and certainly will not "cut out a sizable chunk of Apple's buying public". Honestly 95% of computer buyers are not anywhere near as educated as most ppl on these forums....
Agreed.
I'd rather be playing ultimate...

1.5G4 15" AlBook

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kenstee
Personally, I'd return it. The screen angle issue and the battery life (or lack of it) would be a deal killer for me personally for this Rev. You can be sure this will be addressed in Rev B in a few months.

The deal with the Intel switch was significantly longer battery life and way less heat. I still maintain this Rev A was rushed out to market to meet an artificial deadline. The "real" MBP will appear with Memron later this year or early next.

Why people insist on spending $2k+ on something they've never seen or read any users review about never ceases to be a mystery to me.
I don't know that one can "be sure" this will be addressed in Rev. B.

And I -- a very intelligent and well-informed guy -- also placed an order a few days ago (before the MBPs were out) for one and don't regret it. The criticisms raised so far strike me as nit-picks more than anything. And now that I've played with one at the Apple Store, I'm very glad I placed that order, too.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

blindemboss
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2006, 11:32 PM

I can't help but feel this whole debacle stems from Apple's rush to get an Intel chip into their pro laptops.

Yes, the Powerbook line was hampered by the G4 limitations, but you'd think they'd be pretty good in designing laptops by now. Surely something as major as hinge design should be perfected.
The simple fact that the MBP has the same design as the PB, leads me to think it was a rush to market product. As elegant as it is, I don't buy Jobs' comment that they didn't want to mess with perfection when it came to the MBP's form factor.

hakstooy
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2006, 12:18 AM

I agree that this won't cause most people who were considering a MacBook Pro not to buy one, but I can also guarantee that most people will have it limit them in some way after they buy one. How much it annoys them and whether this annoyance affects their decision in buying their next laptop is anyone's guess.

To those saying the situations where this opening comes into play is very rare or unusual, did you ignore my post where I laid out that the screen can not rotate far enough back to point fully at your face when standing over it on a high table? Have you never used a computer standing up? Have you never had your coworkers or friends come stand behind you to see something on your screen?

To me, the perception of using the computer is that screen does not go back that far, those few degrees between it and the AlBooks makes a big difference.

Additionally, while the screen is indeed better and this compensates somewhat, it is still an unfortunate limitation that I would hope is not evidence of a trend in Apple's design.

And has anyone considered the implications of this limitation with regard to the built-in iSight? In order to use it you have to position your face directly in front of it, and of course, you haven't got a lot of adjustability in that screen so look forward to bending yourself down into its field of view.

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2006, 12:50 AM

Let's have a show of ... hands, you've got two hypothetical choices:

1. Current Unit
2. MBP that's 1.25" thick and retains a 10° wider view angle

Which would you prefer? My vote I'll reserve until mine arrives, but I do have to say that with laptop that's quite wide and deep, I'm not sure that being super-thin makes a huge difference...other than looking cool. Both fit just great in my Tumi briefcase.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

mrmister
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2006, 02:01 AM

Shouldn't #2 be the same thickness as the last generation 15 inch PBG4, or 1.10" thick?

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2006, 02:06 AM

Ok, let's revise:

Let's have a show of ... hands, you've got three hypothetical choices:

1. Current Unit
2. MBP that's 1.10" thick and retains a 10° wider view angle
3. MBP that's 1.25" thick and has a 20° wider view angle
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2006, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by schalliol
Let's have a show of ... hands, you've got two hypothetical choices:

1. Current Unit
2. MBP that's 1.25" thick and retains a 10° wider view angle

Which would you prefer? My vote I'll reserve until mine arrives, but I do have to say that with laptop that's quite wide and deep, I'm not sure that being super-thin makes a huge difference...other than looking cool. Both fit just great in my Tumi briefcase.
1. Current Unit.

The angle issue is not an issue when you are on a plan, train etc... because you usually cannot open up a laptop to a large angle anyway when you are provided with a seat tray.

I'm reminded of this page.
A minor, rarely occurring flaw in the device begins to be discussed in the Apple support forums. Whiny, artistic types post lengthy diatribes about how this terrible design flaw has made the device unusable and scarred them emotionally. Electronic petitions are created demanding that Apple replace the devices for free, plus pay for counseling to help traumatized users overcome their emotional distress.

It is not an issue for me and the only reason I would have used a larger angle would be to compensate for the low brightness and poor viewing angles on my 12" pbook.

I keep on hearing about battery issues but I have yet to hear anything definitively bad about it. From what I've seen so far on the web, the macbook pros have better or similar battery performance to the last pbook generation even before the battery has been conditioned to give the best time.

Give it a rest already. You guys are running around like chickens with their heads cut off any only listening for negative experiences.

My advice, go to bed and sleep on it.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

hakstooy
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2006, 09:46 AM

Why is that when something doesn't bother people they imagine it doesn't exist?

It wouldn't bother some people if the MBP was 8 lbs, some wouldn't be perturbed by bad airport reception, some don't particularly care if the keyboard is mushy or if it doesn't illuminate. It doesn't mean that the people that these things are important to are whiny, artistic shleps.

I use my laptop often in my lab, where there is no space on our optical table for a computer, so I have to sit on a stool and type in my lap, this position causes me to have to look almost straight down at my PowerBook while I'm analyzing data. I don't know if I'll be able to do this with the MBP, which would be a real pain as I'll have to bring over another stool or something to hold the computer while I lean over and try and type on it.

My advice is that if it doesn't bother you, then say so and leave it at that, don't tell people how irrational and ususual their concerns and ways of using their computer are.

inkhead
Senior User
Feb 24, 2006, 10:05 AM

This is the reason all my friends HATE mac user. damnit. Seriously I'm so done with the macnn forums. I'm a mac user, and I have to say, mac users are some of the whiny, bitchiest people on the planet. I can't ****ing stand it anymore

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by inkhead
This is the reason all my friends HATE mac user. damnit. Seriously I'm so done with the macnn forums. I'm a mac user, and I have to say, mac users are some of the whiny, bitchiest people on the planet. I can't ****ing stand it anymore
Please make sure the door hits you on the a** on your way out!!!!

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles
1. Current Unit.

The angle issue is not an issue when you are on a plan, train etc... because you usually cannot open up a laptop to a large angle anyway when you are provided with a seat tray.

I'm reminded of this page.

It is not an issue for me and the only reason I would have used a larger angle would be to compensate for the low brightness and poor viewing angles on my 12" pbook.

I keep on hearing about battery issues but I have yet to hear anything definitively bad about it. From what I've seen so far on the web, the macbook pros have better or similar battery performance to the last pbook generation even before the battery has been conditioned to give the best time.

Give it a rest already. You guys are running around like chickens with their heads cut off any only listening for negative experiences.

My advice, go to bed and sleep on it.
I tend to agree here, I don't see it as that big of an issue, more of a niche preference.

Karim
Senior User
Feb 24, 2006, 11:12 AM

It would be funny if Apple offered a cto option for 135 degree tilt on the screen. I wonder how many would go for it if it would take an extra 3 months to ship and an extra hundred dollars. I know I wouldn 't have bothered.
( Last edited by Karim; Feb 24, 2006 at 12:07 PM. )

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by hakstooy
My advice is that if it doesn't bother you, then say so and leave it at that, don't tell people how irrational and ususual their concerns and ways of using their computer are.
I and many others are bothered by your "advice." Why should the people with a complaint by given exclusive domain to get on a soapbox and to write post after post complaining about the same thing? I remember arguing with people about the horizontal lines issue on the PowerBooks about this. The people who are satisfied with it have as much right to make the same post over and over, essentially, as the people who want to complain. The issue, after all, can be explained in one line: THE MBP SCREEN TILT IS SOMEWHAT LESS THAN THAT OF THE POWERBOOK AND THIS BOTHERS SOME USERS. There is nothing "new" being added to the discussion by either side, so there is zero reason why complainants should get to talk while the satisfied buyers should be silenced.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2006, 12:34 PM

I'm sorry but your needs are simply outweighed by those of the vast majority.
Nice. Kind of reminds me of the Nazi's justification for killing all those "imbecils" with mental disabilities, etc., for the greater good of the normal people.

Look, I am really glad you are able to work on your machine comfortably. However, please don't try to marginalize the rest of us that prefer/need greater flexibility with our laptops than is currently being offered. Personally, I spend a lot more time at my desk, in depositions, and on my bed, than I do sitting in an airline seat. As such, having a screen that opens all way to 180 would benefit me the most. I don't type with my laptop on my desk, I type with my laptop on my lap. So, if you want to improve either my in flight experience (those eight hours a year I might spend on a plane), or my overall user experience the other 99.99% of the time I am working, give me a better battery life and screen that opens to 180 degrees.

besides, wouldn't the "vast majority" of laptop users not even know what OS eX is?

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2006, 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=hakstooy]
I use my laptop often in my lab, where there is no space on our optical table for a computer, so I have to sit on a stool and type in my lap, this position causes me to have to look almost straight down at my PowerBook while I'm analyzing data. I don't know if I'll be able to do this with the MBP, which would be a real pain as I'll have to bring over another stool or something to hold the computer while I lean over and try and type on it.
/QUOTE]

How is your neck and shoulders? That is the most non-ergonomic position I could ever think of. Are you serious or are you just trolling? I cannot imagine using any laptop for any amount of time in that position. If you don't have a proper work surface, complain to your boss and get the situation fixed.
--
Aristotle

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Wolf
Nice. Kind of reminds me of the Nazi's justification for killing all those "imbecils" with mental disabilities, etc., for the greater
This is way the f overboard....pretty offensive comment.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by John123
This is way the f overboard....pretty offensive comment.
What? Why is it offensive? That's what happened. Way to try and play the PC card though.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG
HAHAHAHA, I love it when people whine about whiners.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by schalliol
Ok, let's revise:

Let's have a show of ... hands, you've got three hypothetical choices:

1. Current Unit
2. MBP that's 1.10" thick and retains a 10° wider view angle
3. MBP that's 1.25" thick and has a 20° wider view angle
Um, how about a unit that's 1" thick and retains a 135 degree angle. Like the 17" does now!

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by slffl
What? Why is it offensive? That's what happened. Way to try and play the PC card though.
It's comparing the Holocaust to Apple quote-unquote apologists. They are not even close to the same thing. I'm not usually one for PC, but when you piss on the atrocities of genocide by comparing it to something as STUPID as a computer pro/con debate, yeah, that's going to be offensive. It's shocking and sad that you don't recognize that.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2006, 02:45 PM

It's comparing the Holocaust to Apple quote-unquote apologists. They are not even close to the same thing. I'm not usually one for PC, but when you piss on the atrocities of genocide by comparing it to something as STUPID as a computer pro/con debate, yeah, that's going to be offensive. It's shocking and sad that you don't recognize that.
No, I was comparing a person's specific comment to a certain mindset that, in the end, resulted in the Holocost. Not the other way around. In fact, I didn't even mention what perhaps you and many others consider to be "The Holocost" in my post. I was in no way belittling what happened, and I feel certain that you have no rational basis to accuse me of this.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2006, 02:46 PM

Thank you.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2006, 02:52 PM

No, I was comparing a person's specific comment to a certain mindset that, in the end, resulted in the Holocost. Not the other way around. In fact, I didn't even mention what perhaps you and many others consider to be "The Holocost" in my post. I was in no way belittling what happened, and I feel certain that you have no rational basis to accuse me of this.
You referred to the mass murder of people. And now you're trying to backpedal. You should just apologize and move on rather than trying to defend yourself. You look even worse going about it the route that you are. I have no desire to have a political discussion abou this; there are quite literally hundreds of scholarly articles discussing how comments like this trivialize those kinds of things. You should just apologize.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2006, 03:00 PM

I think we're straying from the topic here anyway....

So this screen... I'm still trying to understand why this isn't enough for everyone? It would kill my back to sit straight up in a chair and try to type on a laptop in my lap

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2006, 03:48 PM

Dear John123:

I am sorry you are so sensitive and lose your ability to handle logic and reason it the face of a comment that reminded you of some scholarly articles you once read. Clearly, you are missing the whole point. I am not sure if this is due to your inability to comprehend what I wrote, or just simply your oversensitivity about something that is obviously important to you.

Or, maybe I am just not being clear. I find that happens most often with people who have their own agendas.

In any event, I referenced something in my original post was important to me. The sensless mistreatment and even killing of people with cognitive and physical disabilities. Personally, I feel it is important for me to regularly remind people that individuals with disabilities should not be mistreated (whether that is through access to health care, the law, education, or whatever else). And I never feel that I am trivializing the subject by mentioning it.

So, please stop trying to hijack my post and turn it into an opportunity for you to launch into your own religious rant.

Thank you.

iobuffa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2006, 04:11 PM

Hello? Moderators?
iobuffa
switcher as of oct 2001

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2006, 04:12 PM

Dear John123:
"Religious" rant? Religion had nothing to do with it. And for the record, I'm not Jewish. Your comparison trivialized those events. That's clear to many people.

I'm done responding on this. It's off-topic, and your refusal to apologize is awful. I wish someone in a position of authority (mods) would say something and ask you and others not to make those sorts of comparisons as they are repugnant. Since they are silent at the moment, that's the last I'll say about it.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

toneloco28
Feb 24, 2006, 06:49 PM

Isn't this thread officially "over" now that Godwin's Law has been invoked. This is ridiculous, and I agree with inkhead. "Some" Mac users are the most overanalytical, OCD suffering, obnoxious people on the face of the earth. I don't think this is what the Think Different campaign had in mind...

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2006, 07:09 PM

I wish someone in a position of authority (mods) would say something and ask you and others not to make those sorts of comparisons as they are repugnant. Since they are silent at the moment, that's the last I'll say about it.
( Last edited by The Wolf; Feb 25, 2006 at 11:27 AM. )

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2006, 07:20 PM

OK, I'm more interested in the *viewing angle* than how much the screen can bend backwards. Looking at the pics posted, it looks like I will have to tilt the screen towards me for a comfortable angle while having the MacBook in my lap (I'm not a giraffe)... at least if I compare to my old TiBook that I'm now going to retire (funny enough its monitor died on me two weeks ago).

I do a lot of graphics work - editing images etc, and I've found the TiBook screen being pretty good (with my calibration) for this, even if I'd love to have some more pixels to play with (got me a Samsung monitor for that).

Aaaaaaaaanyway.... what I wonder about is how the viewing angle is - any shifts in light/color? And if not, then wouldn't those degree's in difference between old AluBook and the new MacBook really matter?
/Petra

Karim
Senior User
Feb 25, 2006, 02:18 AM

Godwins' Law:
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 03:07 AM

Unacceptable to some, acceptable to many.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

mrmister
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 03:40 AM

The Wolf--breaking new ground in the Condescending Asswipe category.

I shouldn't expect The Wolf to complain--he loves free speech, after all, when he's not engaged in anal rape of children.

And that won't offend him--it's an analogy, for how I *feel* about The Wolf. And since it doesn't matter what one uses for an analogy...

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2006, 05:05 AM

Getting back on track here:

OK, for those folks who are bothered by the tilt...I know various types of pads to sit below a laptop have been discussed. The CoolPad comes to mind, for example, as an option for heat dissipation. Don't some of these products give you the ability to a bit of an angle as well? If so, then adding 15 degrees of incline to a plane that is already parallel with the ground would then put the display on par with the previous generation of PowerBooks. Of course, some would complain that this then puts an unnatural strain on the wrists (and God knows I don't want someone blaming me for their RSI), but you could at least then choose the lesser of two evils.

Any thoughts?
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by mrmister
The Wolf--breaking new ground in the Condescending Asswipe category.

I shouldn't expect The Wolf to complain--he loves free speech, after all, when he's not engaged in anal rape of children.

And that won't offend him--it's an analogy, for how I *feel* about The Wolf. And since it doesn't matter what one uses for an analogy...
Ouch. Ok, sorry. I take back the last comment about J123. It was doµche-like™ and over the top. Nevertheless J123, I think you are completely misinterpreting my original post and reading things into it that are not there. The word "imbecile" is a reference to a 1927 US Supreme Court opinion (Buck v. Bell) that sanctioned the sterilization of a woman who had mental deficits, and had a history of mental deficits in her family as well. On account of this, the Court ruled that the state was justified in sterilizing her against her will. Here's an excerpt:

"It is better for all the world, if instead of waiting to execute degenerate offspring for crime, or to let them starve for their imbecility, society can prevent those who are manifestly unfit from continuing their kind. The principle that sustains compulsory vaccination is broad enough to cover cutting the Fallopian tubes. Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 , 25 S. Ct. 358, 3 Ann. Cas. 765. Three generations of imbeciles are enough."

Maybe I could have just referenced this case alone and not the "Nazis" and still made my point. And perhaps, had I remembered that the Court actually used the phrase "it is better for all the world" (aka the 'vast majority'), I might not have even made the dual analogy. I hope this helps and we can declare a truce.

Anyways, the "issue" is that the hinge is subpar. Maybe it's because all the good designs are already patented and Apple can't come up with an original design that is both durable and opens to 180? Personally, I stopped using my coolpad when I got my AIBook b/c it just exacerbates the problem by making the screen even more perpendicular to the desktop. I hope a better design is implemented in the next rev., as I am reluctant to upgrade my 1.5 AlBook if it means losing even more degrees of screen angle.

cambro
Senior User
Feb 25, 2006, 12:21 PM

If so, then adding 15 degrees of incline to a plane that is already parallel with the ground would then put the display on par with the previous generation of PowerBooks.
Only if you tilt the keyboard 15º away from you...

If you tilt the keyboard towards you (i.e., back of book up, which is how all of these pads work), then the screen needs to open ever wider in order to maintain a 90º viewing angle.

x user
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 12:53 PM

I used my 12" all the way back on occation, it would be a limitation not to have that travel, but remember they have a the camera cable going through there now too... I highly doubt Apple just randomly limited travel without a good reason. They do have ergonomic engeering people there too.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by cambro
Only if you tilt the keyboard 15º away from you...

If you tilt the keyboard towards you (i.e., back of book up, which is how all of these pads work), then the screen needs to open ever wider in order to maintain a 90º viewing angle.
Yes, the former was obviously what I was suggesting, since the latter makes absolutely no sense with regard to this topic whatsoever.

Any objections to this approach from those of you who find the current angle problematic?
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2006, 02:59 PM

Confirmed about 15 degrees.... was at the store with a 12in PowerBook right next to a 15in MacBook Pro. Asked the person to open both to the max side by side.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by CyberPet
OK, I'm more interested in the *viewing angle* than how much the screen can bend backwards. Looking at the pics posted, it looks like I will have to tilt the screen towards me for a comfortable angle while having the MacBook in my lap (I'm not a giraffe)... at least if I compare to my old TiBook that I'm now going to retire (funny enough its monitor died on me two weeks ago).

I do a lot of graphics work - editing images etc, and I've found the TiBook screen being pretty good (with my calibration) for this, even if I'd love to have some more pixels to play with (got me a Samsung monitor for that).

Aaaaaaaaanyway.... what I wonder about is how the viewing angle is - any shifts in light/color? And if not, then wouldn't those degree's in difference between old AluBook and the new MacBook really matter?
Ok, so you are not a giraffe but are you trying to tell me that you are sitting on a couch editing images?

Are you trying to tell me that you you are doing serious graphics work with the laptop as your main display on a couch or in a chair away from a desk?

I'm just having trouble believing that considering that a touch pad is hardly the best interface for editing graphics.
--
Aristotle

mrmister
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 06:21 PM

"Ouch. Ok, sorry. I take back the last comment about J123. It was doµche-like™ and over the top"

That's big of you, and I'll stand down as well...

...and I'm hoping to spend some more time with a MBP so I can assess whether the better screen will compensate for the loss of hinge flexibility/range. It's really hard to know without actually using it.

diamondsw
Senior User
Feb 26, 2006, 04:40 AM

Maybe it's been stated (I have not read all three pages of fighting to know), but since the bottom of the new MacBooks is thinner (thus the non-DL SuperDrive, among other things), doesn't this give the hinge less room to open, limiting the angle? I can understand how tall people and people who use elevating pads would find this problematic, but this seems to be a simple result of thinner laptops, with the type of "sunken display" hinge that Apple uses (where the display rests lower and behind the laptop body, as opposed to a standard PC laptop where the hinge and screen bottom is above the back of the laptop).

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles
Ok, so you are not a giraffe but are you trying to tell me that you are sitting on a couch editing images?

Are you trying to tell me that you you are doing serious graphics work with the laptop as your main display on a couch or in a chair away from a desk?

I'm just having trouble believing that considering that a touch pad is hardly the best interface for editing graphics.

Yes.

Yes.

And that's your problem if you don't believe me. I shoot weddings and do graphic design and I often sit on the couch. I have no problem using the trackpad doing masking, etc, actually I've been using it for the last 6 years and are so used to it that if I'll use a mouse or a Wacom tablet I'd probably make a huge mess.

And even on the couch, I don't use my angle that way back some people seem to want it.

Oh, and I often also use a 17" TTF screen sitting on my coffee table.... it's so nice and tiny it's a fun way to work and be able to watch tv and be social with the family at the same time.
/Petra

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2006, 05:28 PM

ive done graphic work on the couch or in my bed with nothing but the trackpad as well.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

John O'Shaughnessy
Feb 27, 2006, 01:07 AM

Here's a link to a printable protractor.

http://www.thursdaysclassroom.com/13...otractors.html

If I'm typing on a laptop on a desk, I've got the angle at about 120 degrees. If I have the laptop sitting in my lap, feet up on the coffee table, I've got the angle at 135 degrees. Using a Griffin iCurve, the angle is about 120 degrees. The angle doesn't increase with the iCurve (compared to on the desk surface) since the laptop is raised higher, therefore I don't have to open it as far or tilt the screen back as much as when it it on the desk surface.

Like others, I sometimes use it open wider, such as when surfing in bed.
--
John O'Shaughnessy

hakstooy
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 09:36 AM

There is nothing "new" being added to the discussion by either side, so there is zero reason why complainants should get to talk while the satisfied buyers should be silenced.
I never said to silence anyone, I just said it is rude and dismissive to discount peoples concerns out of hand simply because one doesn't agree with them.

Originally Posted by Aristotle
That is the most non-ergonomic position I could ever think of.
Yeah, I suppose it is. But I move quite a bit when I'm doing measurements, so I never really sit for too long. Also, my chiropractor actually suggested I do this because my spine does not "curve" properly and working like this actually helps to coax it into a more natural position.

Regardless, I'm just pointing out that there are numerous situations where the screen will be a hindrance to some people. I really don't see what's so hard to get about that. I'm not saying this is the end of the world or that the computer is useless, I'm simply saying it is unfortunate given how I have become accustomed to using my current laptop. That and looking at the trend of "user-friendlness" and ergonomics being sacrificed for aesthetics more and more ever since the Pismo is somewhat troubling.

I have no problem if you agree or disagree, but don't dismiss me. I hate it when people get into their forum mode and turn into crass jerkoffs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules