Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Unfamiliar Bathroom Etiquette in Dominican Republic

Unfamiliar Bathroom Etiquette in Dominican Republic
Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2008, 02:55 PM

I've done my fair share of travel around the world and am familiar with the "Eastern" (hole in the floor) vs. "Western" (traditional toilet) style facilities. Recently while in Santo Domingo, I encountered something I've never seen before. There were waste bins next to the toilets in the stalls. It was clearly evident that after using the toilet people would place their used toilet paper in the waste bin, NOT the toilet. It was the most bizarre and unpleasant thing I've seen in a while. All I can say is ... WTF??

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Oh... and this was in places like the lobby bathroom at the Marriott and the Hard Rock Cafe.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2008, 03:08 PM

Maybe less water flow, so the smallest amount of TP would clog the toilets?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2008, 03:16 PM

Then you must not have traveled to too many places, because that's fairly common. Some cities in less developed parts of the world don't want you flushing toilet paper because their sewage system is less developed and may get clogged with all that refuse. I was watching the Human Footprint, and while it wasn't a very good show at all, one good point it made was that all the paper that's flushed has be taken out of the system at some point, which is not a pretty picture.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2008, 03:17 PM

DUDE!!!

We've had two GIRLS here at work that do that -- one because she grew up in a home with a septic tank, and one because that's how her Mexican family has always done it.

Needless to say, both girls caused quite a problem. Thankfully, the one was terminated for a different reason -- but the current Public Wiper is still causing issues. We've put up signs, sent email, etc. -- and she just doesn't get it.

I mean come on, people -- even *I* would crap, wipe, and toss the TP into a trash can for all the sodding world to see.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Then you must not have traveled to too many places, because that's fairly common. Some cities in less developed parts of the world don't want you flushing toilet paper because their sewage system is less developed and may get clogged with all that refuse.
My travels have been limited to mostly Western cultures however I did spend a couple months in Singapore and almost six months in Hong Kong and never saw anything like that. I never saw it in the 2 years I lived in Trinidad either.

Interesting though that it's not such an unusual phenomenon.

Regardless... it's rather disgusting.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2008, 03:40 PM

They didn't want toilet paper flushed in Beijing, IIRC. I must confess thought that I did it anyway because I was only flushing a small amount and was only in the country for a week.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2008, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
We've had two GIRLS here at work that do that -- one because she grew up in a home with a septic tank...
She must have had a very tiny septic tank, then. My parents' house has a septic tank and they've lived there almost 30 years. I grew up there and we always flushed the toilet paper. The septic tank was never an issue.

Greece is pretty modern these days, so most public toilets are regular Western-style toilets, but there are a few places that still have the "hole in the floor" squat things. Granted it's a porcelain hole in the floor, and they will accept toilet paper, but...

I remember at a bus station in Greece I really had to go to the toilet but I entered the stall and saw the squat thing... suddenly I didn't have to go that badly.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 17, 2008, 04:04 PM

In a lot of places in Central America, "plumbing" is a polite way to describe human waste disposal. Typically, the system is not built to handle paper, just wastes, so the used paper is simply disposed in a can (hopefully provided for that purpose) next to the commode. I've been fortunate to not need to use such facilities in my own travels there (Panama and Honduras), but my classmates are going on a working mission to Guatemala in a couple months, and they needed to be briefed thoroughly on what to expect.

I was told that this practice was also common in not-so-urban parts of South Korea, with the explained reason being that human wastes go into the mix of field fertilizers... Don't know how true that is.

In defense of those two girls-try for one day to do your toilet hygiene differently. Maybe use the other hand, maybe lean over in the other direction, or even figure a way to do it with a frontal approach instead of a posterior approach (all of which are valid adaptations for people with functional limitations due to injury or illness). Pretty darn hard to do, isn't it? That's because these hygiene habits are formed at VERY early ages, and they are so over-learned that they are devilishly difficult to overcome. The one girl that's left needs some one-on-one discussion about "our plumbing is built for paper, and our stall trash cans are NOT built for used paper".

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2008, 04:22 PM

I have to say I opened this email with a little trepidation not knowing exactly what you were going to ask in terms of bathroom etiquette.

Anyways since I've not traveled too much this does seem rather strange but seeing the responses, it does make sense. Especially in countries like the DR that may not have a robust waste processing system.

DerekW69
Apr 17, 2008, 04:25 PM

My wife and I just finished a three-month stint hosting an exchange student from Mexico. She was a thrower and not a flusher. It was an unpleasant discovery by me when it was my turn to empty the garbage in her bathroom. I'm not making any kind of judgment calls on how the rest of the world does things — that's their business. But even after my wife bluntly told her what to do with her used TP, she kept on doing it her way. So I suppose it is pretty ingrained.

I guess the upshot is that it gave me the something to post in this topic.

That's the only upshot of that story that I could come up with.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2008, 04:27 PM

Geez, it makes you really appreciate modern plumbing.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

DerekW69
Apr 17, 2008, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Geez, it makes you really appreciate modern plumbing.
I will second that emotion.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2008, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by DerekW69 View Post
But even after my wife bluntly told her what to do with her used TP, she kept on doing it her way. So I suppose it is pretty ingrained.

This confuses me.

I understand what GHP was saying, but can you imagine the reverse?

If the person going through all the trouble to host me insisted I put it in the can instead of flushing, I can't see myself going "well **** that, I do things my way".

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
In defense of those two girls-try for one day to do your toilet hygiene differently. Maybe use the other hand, maybe lean over in the other direction, or even figure a way to do it with a frontal approach instead of a posterior approach (all of which are valid adaptations for people with functional limitations due to injury or illness). Pretty darn hard to do, isn't it? That's because these hygiene habits are formed at VERY early ages, and they are so over-learned that they are devilishly difficult to overcome. The one girl that's left needs some one-on-one discussion about "our plumbing is built for paper, and our stall trash cans are NOT built for used paper".
I tried your little experiment, and goshdarnit, it IS hard to stop defecating in a paper bag and throwing it over the fence into my neighbor's yard!

Maybe we all need to try to mix it up a bit.

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2008, 04:41 PM

I'm not making any kind of judgment calls on how the rest of the world does things — that's their business. But even after my wife bluntly told her what to do with her used TP, she kept on doing it her way. So I suppose it is pretty ingrained.
That's the part I just can't get. I understand how human's are creatures of habit and it's hard to change, however, putting a wad of paper with crap all over it into a waste bin to smell up the place is truly gross. How could someone think it's more gross or peculiar to flush said paper down the toilet?

Hrmpf... damn humans! "Change is bad, change is bad!"

DerekW69
Apr 17, 2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
This confuses me.

I understand what GHP was saying, but can you imagine the reverse?

If the person going through all the trouble to host me insisted I put it in the can instead of flushing, I can't see myself going "well **** that, I do things my way".
I was trying to be nice and saying it was a deeply trained habit, like GHP said. I will agree with you — I can't see myself saying "well **** that..." either. But we, unfortunately, were hosting in the stage where the new has worn off being here and the student says "well **** that, I'm going to do things my way because the way we do them is better." Only they do it without the profanity and with more attitude.

Yes, that is an actual stage, which I didn't find out until we had committed.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2008, 04:55 PM

Yes, that is an actual stage, which I didn't find out until we had committed.

That seems like it makes more sense.

On one hand, I'm baffled why someone for whom the "when in Rome" concept doesn't appeal would become an exchange student.

On the other hand, when I was exchange student age, I was a prick.

DerekW69
Apr 17, 2008, 05:03 PM

On one hand, I'm baffled why someone for whom the "when in Rome" concept doesn't appeal would become an exchange student.
My wife an I asked ourselves that many times. Still don't have an answer.

On the other hand, when I was exchange student age, I was a prick.
I still kind of am — or can get there when I need to. So it — and beer — helped in making the best of the situation!

pooka
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2008, 05:27 PM

We had some ******** visit us once. We must have run out of toilet paper so he decided to wipe his ass with a beach towel, throw it out the window and attempt to burn the evidence in the backyard.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2008, 05:28 PM

It's definitely common practice throughout Central and South America, and I've encountered it here and there in Eastern Europe too.
And hey, folks, habit is a hard thing to break. Ask all the South American hotel and restaurant proprietors who've had to deal with shitty toilets overflowing with American's TP.

DerekW69
Apr 17, 2008, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
We must have run out of toilet paper so he decided to wipe his ass with a beach towel, throw it out the window and attempt to burn the evidence in the backyard.
Off topic — that is officially the funniest thing I've heard today. I mean, I'm sorry about the loss of your towel and all, but the image of that is just hilarious. Of course, I'm probably imagining it more funny that it actually was.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 17, 2008, 05:39 PM

Your first two examples are not quite the same as where you throw the toilet paper, though.

It didn’t take me long to get used to having to throw toilet paper in the little waste bin next to the toilet, rather than in the toilet itself, when I first moved to Beijing. I hated it, I found it disgusting, but I got used to it, and it is (as far as I understand) better for the environment, overall.

I’ve only seen it in China and Greece, never other places.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
My travels have been limited to mostly Western cultures however I did spend a couple months in Singapore and almost six months in Hong Kong and never saw anything like that.
Singapore and Hong Kong are western cities in the east, the toilets will be normal.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2008, 06:12 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
We had some ******** visit us once.
What's that ?

Monkey ? Llama ? Elephant ? Marsian ? Canadian ?

-t

pooka
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2008, 07:17 PM

Off topic — that is officially the funniest thing I've heard today. I mean, I'm sorry about the loss of your towel and all, but the image of that is just hilarious. Of course, I'm probably imagining it more funny that it actually was.
Oh, no, it was unbelievably funny. I made fun of the guy for the duration of his visit and proudly retell the tale anytime his name comes up in conversation.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
Demolition Man?

You guys need to take a trip to Japan, where in many places they do not use toilet paper at all, the toilet has a built-in bidet to clean your ass and a stream of warm air to dry it! No paper needed

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 17, 2008, 07:41 PM

Yes! Demolition Man. That’s where it was from. I was thinking and thinking and just could not remember where that was from.

“Hey everybody, he doesn’t know how to use the clams!” [probably butchered that one pretty badly]

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 17, 2008, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Your first two examples are not quite the same as where you throw the toilet paper, though.

It didn’t take me long to get used to having to throw toilet paper in the little waste bin next to the toilet, rather than in the toilet itself, when I first moved to Beijing. I hated it, I found it disgusting, but I got used to it, and it is (as far as I understand) better for the environment, overall.

I’ve only seen it in China and Greece, never other places.
Some of us are more flexible in terms of habit than others. I have problems even imagining not dropping the paper after I'd finished it's "primary use" on my bum. The logistics of getting it out from under me and into the bin next to the commode just don't come to mind. On the other hand, I HAVE worked on the hygiene habit problem I sketched out, and it certainly is difficult-but it illustrates how these habits work, not necessarily how easy they may be to break.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2008, 07:52 PM

“Hey everybody, he doesn’t know how to use the three seashells!”
Fixed.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2008, 08:55 PM

Thank god for Western toilets AND for being a male and only needing to think about this email half of the time I go to the bathroom.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 17, 2008, 09:11 PM

In spent a week in Mexico when I was in high school and we were asked to throw the toilet paper away instead of flushing it. Definitely a strange experience, especially when your friend is taking a dump on the toilet right next to you...with no barriers in between...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 17, 2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
In spent a week in Mexico when I was in high school and we were asked to throw the toilet paper away instead of flushing it. Definitely a strange experience, especially when your friend is taking a dump on the toilet right next to you...with no barriers in between...
I hate public restrooms that don’t separate stalls. They have so many of these in China. I refuse to use them.

Especially because, since I’m a foreigner, all the Chinese people in there will usually gather round and start gawking unabashedly at me. I can’t even begin to count how many semi-neurotic personal boundaries of mine that crosses, so I just don’t use those places at all if I can avoid it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Fixed.

That's too bad, because not only is "clams" funnier, you know that's what people would call them.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2008, 10:02 PM

I hate ...all the Chinese people in there will usually gather round and start gawking unabashedly at me. I can’t even begin to count how many semi-neurotic personal boundaries of mine that crosses, so I just don’t use those places at all if I can avoid it.
You are not alone. In fact, the staring does indeed cross the line of so-called western civility and/or neurotic personal boundries, but perhaps it is something I (we) cannot fully understand or appreciate. By my third day in Beijing, I abandoned my fancy watch and camcorder - along with the public facilities.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2008, 11:10 PM

I hate public restrooms that don’t separate stalls.
Wow, and I thought it was bad when urinals don't have a board between them.

Regarding sht tickets:

I've seen that happen in public restrooms here in Southern California and I've also seen the notices posted in English/Spanish that politely ask you to flush the toilet paper and not leave it next to the toilet.

Atomic Rooster
Apr 17, 2008, 11:18 PM

I'd have to crap right in the can and forego the toilet cuz I've plugged even the industrial style toilets with the super suck action.

It can be embarrassing at parties having to stay locked in the bathroom flushing the toilet 20 times while people are tying to get in. So now I find a secluded spot outside and use a flower pot or squat up on a bird bath or some such.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
cuz I've plugged even the industrial style toilets
Do you eat at PF Changs every single day?

No, seriously, that's not healthy to plug up the industrial style toilets.

zro
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2008, 01:43 AM

I just don't see how the direction in which you release a spent wad of sh17 tickets (my new favorite slang) is related to dexterity or motor memory. I'd say it's habitual instead. If you've been camping there's no consternation caused by not tossing it into a commode when you go in the woods, right?

BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2008, 01:51 AM

This is becoming more commonplace here in LA too. Due to our large illegal population, many of them are accustomed to not flushing their tp and they throw it in, or near, the trash can. Absolutely disgusting.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 18, 2008, 07:33 AM

Wow, and I thought it was bad when urinals don't have a board between them.
I say “public restroom”. Really a more apt description is ‘line of holes in the floor to squat over’.

Which really doesn’t make it any better.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2008, 09:02 AM

Still used to find footprints on the toilet seats in Shanghai, old habits die hard.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
She must have had a very tiny septic tank, then. My parents' house has a septic tank and they've lived there almost 30 years. I grew up there and we always flushed the toilet paper. The septic tank was never an issue.

Greece is pretty modern these days, so most public toilets are regular Western-style toilets, but there are a few places that still have the "hole in the floor" squat things. Granted it's a porcelain hole in the floor, and they will accept toilet paper, but...

I remember at a bus station in Greece I really had to go to the toilet but I entered the stall and saw the squat thing... suddenly I didn't have to go that badly.
I encountered the infamous 'hole in the floor' in Madrid the other day. I decided to take the bus and at this 1950s bus station, completely unrenovated since the year it was built, I went to the toilet only to be greeted by the gaping hole.

I instantly cancelled all my bowel movements for the time being

Seriously though, I have never encountered this in Spain before or after. I take the train now, as I was going to do that day but had to change my plans on short notice.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
I take the train now, as I was going to do that day but had to change my plans pants on short notice.
FTFY.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
FTFY.
Ooo nice strikethough
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2008, 10:55 AM

i had a friend whose family had an aging estate (private island) in the adirondacks, and they did this, from what i understand it was a combination of things- ancient plumbing and the rocky soil were the big two.

it was a little gross, but i have to say that it didn't really smell all that bad. man up and play by their rules, you'll survive.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2008, 11:10 AM

Hong Kong (actually kowloon...Tai Poo ?) restaurant last year, they didn't even bother pooing into the bowl, it was all over the floor, along with smelly paper !!

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2008, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
Hong Kong (actually kowloon...Tai Poo ?) restaurant last year, they didn't even bother pooing into the bowl, it was all over the floor, along with smelly paper !!
might want go a little more upscale with your dining choices abroad.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2008, 11:24 AM

It was a quite large, clean family restaurant, chosen by in-laws, I had eaten, so didn't bother looking into kitchen, didn't want to know...no squits later though

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 18, 2008, 11:54 AM

In China (not sure about Hong Kong), it’s the opposite. Never go to upscale restaurants, they suck. And their toilets are just as gross as the cheapo places. The only difference is that the waitresses have uniforms and the food is nowhere near as good. And the prices, of course.

If you want proper toilets, you go to McDonald’s or the Hard Rock Café. HRC is the only place I’ve ever seen in China where you were actually expected to throw your toilet paper in the toilet. No little waste bin in sight. Felt almost sacrilegious.

Forum Links
Forum Rules