Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > DOSBox => Boxer

DOSBox => Boxer
redJag
Senior User
Oct 13, 2008, 05:22 PM

For some reason I recently got an itch to fire up the original Warcraft game, and since I didn't want to deal with a PPC emulator I decided to try it on Windows in VirtualBox (blech, ran at about 1/8th normal speed in there.. it's free for a reason!). I've also got a trial of VMWare Fusion at home to try it on but I stumbled across Boxer which is a slick port of DOSBox to OS X. Maybe this is old news to you guys! I launched it, told it to make me a folder to act as a C drive, and put the copy of Warcraft I downloaded in there and it worked like a freakin' charm. Full audio, full framerates, mouse and keyboard.

Just thought I'd share my success story. I found a copy of the game on Abandonia.
Travis Sanderson

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2008, 01:45 PM

Nice to hear, Boxer looks 'cool'… in a sense of software that just works. I had downloaded Boxer some time ago to run a silly MS-DOS batch file, but once I ran the batch file, it asked for Windows so I kissed that one arrivederci LOL

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2008, 08:13 AM

Tried Boxer for a couple of my old games. Excellent little program!
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2008, 02:54 PM

how much Dos do I need to know. I want to run a copy of XCom but the ol c:/ shows up and I end up just blinking back and shutting it down.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2008, 03:59 PM

I'd recommend Darklands. My absolute favorite DOS game of all time. I still play it because the open-ended plot allows for unlimited game play.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by eyevaan View Post
how much Dos do I need to know. I want to run a copy of XCom but the ol c:/ shows up and I end up just blinking back and shutting it down.
None if all goes well. Install Boxer, pop the CD in, the floppy, open the file, etc... whatever it may be and open the .exe of the game. Boxer recognizes this by default and will open it for you. The game will now install as it would normally. Boxer throws your c: drive by default in a folder in your documents. It will install to here.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2008, 04:43 PM

groovey! gonna try it sOOn! thx in advance. If no one sees me around for a REALLY long time you know it worked.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2009, 01:39 PM

IT worked!!! thank you very much for helping loose an even larger chunk of my nonexistant free time.

Really I do appreciate it. Senseless I know, why play a game from 15 years ago? I can't tell you why, I just know I really like the game... now I will let this thread die, as it should been allowed to.

I guess for anyone interested:
"XCOM: Ufo Defense" and "XCOM: Terror from the Deep".
You will need to run the setup.exe and set the soundcard to midi music and it will play with sound.
To play double click either newxcom.bat or full.bat to start the game after running the setup for the music and sound.

enjoy

Forum Links
Forum Rules