Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Today I killed an iPhone.

Today I killed an iPhone.
sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2008, 01:44 PM

I have no idea how, but my wife's iPhone ended up in the lower leg pocket of my cargo pants last night. This morning I did laundry. I checked all the normal upper pockets, but never felt the iPhone in the lower pocket. We are off now to AT&T and hoping that they have a replacement in stock. The worst part of it is that I had been trying to save money to kill my Verizon contract and buy myself and iPhone. Now I will be $200 less on my way there.
SAm

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2008, 02:02 PM

And this PROVES why men should never have to do laundry.

Sorry about the iPhone. I'm sure something good will come out of this.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2008, 02:53 PM

MEVER, NEVER, NEVER put stuff in lower cargo pant pockets.

Nothing good can ever come out of it.

-t

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by sknapp351 View Post
Now I will be $200 less on my way there.
SAm
Nope. You will be out $400, since you are not upgrade eligible and bought the phone subsidized. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's true.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2008, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
MEVER, NEVER, NEVER do your own laundry.

-t
There, better now.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by sknapp351 View Post
I have no idea how, but my wife's iPhone ended up in the lower leg pocket of my cargo pants last night. This morning I did laundry. I checked all the normal upper pockets, but never felt the iPhone in the lower pocket. We are off now to AT&T and hoping that they have a replacement in stock. The worst part of it is that I had been trying to save money to kill my Verizon contract and buy myself and iPhone. Now I will be $200 less on my way there.
SAm
There was a guy who got his wet in his pool who posted on here once, I think he got it mostly working again.

Try sticking it in a box of rice to suck the moisture out and then after a while put it somewhere warm. Would be interesting to see if it comes back to life.

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2008, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Nope. You will be out $400, since you are not upgrade eligible and bought the phone subsidized. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's true.
Got to the AT&T store to discover that myself. I have a great guy at my local store that is the only one there we use. I thought he was gonna cry when I told him. Well, now I am $400 poorer in life.

seanc, I will give it a try. Nothing to lose.

SAm

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
MEVER, NEVER, NEVER put stuff in lower cargo pant pockets.

-t
Furthermore, NEVER NEVER NEVER WEAR (or for that matter, own) cargo pants.

Exceptions: High schoolers who are on the football team and consult the guy named Justin who works at Buckle/Abercrombe/Holister on what they should wear, OR people who are lost in the chasm between Zack Morris and the unveiling of the Segway.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2008, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
There was a guy who got his wet in his pool who posted on here once, I think he got it mostly working again.

Try sticking it in a box of rice to suck the moisture out and then after a while put it somewhere warm. Would be interesting to see if it comes back to life.
When devices have gotten wet, immediately remove power from them, turn them off, remove batteries when possible, remove sim cards, ram, hard drives...

And then spray with compressed air in all openings. On printed circuit boards, I've used contact cleaner spray as well, which displaces water.

Then place near a dehumidifier for a day or two.

THEN and only then, attempt to power back on.

PM me, I buy dead iPhones.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2008, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
When devices have gotten wet, immediately remove power from them, turn them off, remove batteries when possible, remove sim cards, ram, hard drives...

And then spray with compressed air in all openings. On printed circuit boards, I've used contact cleaner spray as well, which displaces water.

Then place near a dehumidifier for a day or two.

THEN and only then, attempt to power back on.

PM me, I buy dead iPhones.
Of course, but the iPhone has a built in battery so it's not so easy.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Of course, but the iPhone has a built in battery so it's not so easy.

Agreed, I did say 'where possible' - the advice works for laptops as well.

p.a.h.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2008, 01:23 AM

Hard to hear. Sorry.

I just dropped mine pretty hard but it didn't skip a beat. (Ha, first time I've ever used that literally)
Are they pretty durable being solid state and all?

p.a.h.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2008, 01:25 AM

.....and I love cargo pants.....for my stash.......of trail mix.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2008, 08:47 AM

Mine fell from the cup holder of a treadmill, dropped onto the belt running at 7 miles per hour and was shot about 10 feet across a concrete gym floor... didn't even stop playing my song. I had a rubber skin on it, so it didn't even get a scratch!
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

StevenSimpson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2008, 02:33 PM

September of this year, I (unknowingly) had my iPhone in my pocket when we went to play golf. While on the course, there was a freak burst of rain where the bottom fell out of the sky for a matter of maybe 15 - 20 minutes. In this time, I had accumulated enough water that when I realized that my iPhone was in my pocket and I was in a dry area, I actually had water running out of the adapter outlet. It was a sad day. I have not been back to play golf since...

I bought a white iPhone 3G to replace it. I have since gotten the old one to boot up, but it MUST be plugged in otherwise it continuously resets. I miss being able to use my first gen iPhone.
MacBook Pro (15-in, 2.2Ghz, June 2007)
iPhone 3G (16GB, white)
iPhone (R.I.P. Sept 11, 2008, drowned in the rain)

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by CorpITGuy View Post
Mine fell from the cup holder of a treadmill, dropped onto the belt running at 7 miles per hour and was shot about 10 feet across a concrete gym floor... didn't even stop playing my song. I had a rubber skin on it, so it didn't even get a scratch!
I would have liked to have been there to see that..
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

danangdoc
Oct 17, 2008, 03:54 PM

I did the same thing with a Palm E2 - dried it off and put it on a warm window-sill in the sunlight and left it all day. Came home and it worked! Can't fix the lost ones though - I used to travel a lot for work and have come across well over a dozen cell phones of various types, as well as a host of PDA's. Recently saw an article that just in the US over a million devices a year are simply forgotten - left in airports/hotels/taxi's/restraunts/etc. Amazing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules