Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Specifics come out on Palin's lack of knowledge

Specifics come out on Palin's lack of knowledge
goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 12:35 AM

So according to Fox News (snicker):

• She didn't know Africa was a continent (she thought it was a country)
• She didn't know the members of NAFTA. (How many countries are in North America?)
• She didn't understand American exceptionalism (ok, I can give her that...)
• She bought the $150,000 worth of clothes after the campaign gave her the clothes she was supposed to wear
• She refused to prep for the Couric interview and then blamed it on her staff
• She would throw tantrums every morning when she read the negative press coverage and make her staff cry

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_141653.html

To think that we could have had this woman as Vice President is downright scary.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 12:42 AM

Would you please ST*U ? How much longer are you gonna bash Palin ?

-t

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2008, 12:50 AM

I see your partisan-sourced link and raise you with my own partisan-sourced link.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
I see your partisan-sourced link and raise you with my own partisan-sourced link.
Fox News is now part of the liberal partisan media?

Well, I sure agree with you on the partisan part...
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

tie
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2008, 01:25 AM

I can't really believe that she didn't know Africa was a continent. I think some staffer must have said this jokingly as hyperbole, and the reporter took it literally. NAFTA I can believe (because of her idiotic you-can-see-Russia-from-Alaska comment).

It is interesting that the campaign is now saying that some of the $150,000 to $190,000 in clothes has been "lost." So much for their promise to donate it to charity.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2008, 05:04 AM

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It looks like there is a battle brewing between those that want her to be the scapegoat for the loss and those that want to promote her to standard bearer and heir-apparent to the 2012 nomination.

As a likely Obama supporter in 2012, I hope she ends up as the latter.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 05:44 AM

This is interesting.

It's a link to page two, because that's the interesting part.

PaperNotes
Nov 6, 2008, 06:25 AM

I'll miss her. One hell of a MILF!
( Last edited by PaperNotes; Jan 9, 2018 at 06:18 AM. )

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
This is interesting.

I read this earlier.

You know a civil war is coming in the Republicans. You can see the line split right down the middle of the McCain campaign. On one side you have the honest to god conservatives. And on Palin's side you have the psycho hyperbole spewing religious nuts. It's going to be interesting.

PaperNotes
Nov 6, 2008, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post

You know a civil war is coming in the Republicans. You can see the line split right down the middle of the McCain campaign. On one side you have the honest to god conservatives. And on Palin's side you have the psycho hyperbole spewing religious nuts. It's going to be interesting.
Nah. They all know in their heart of hearts they need to return to the basics of Jeffersonian Republicanism. This was the kick they needed.
( Last edited by PaperNotes; Jan 9, 2018 at 06:18 AM. )

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2008, 07:09 AM

To think that we could have had this woman as Vice President is downright scary.
Dude, we're sorry you never got laid in high school, but get over it. She's governor of the largest state in the U.S. Obviously she's got something going for her.

The election is over and you won. If you can't be happy then, like Turtle said, at least be quiet.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 07:44 AM

Yeah, instead we got Joe Biden who publicly proclaimed he thought FDR got on the TV and calmed everyone when the stock market crashed before the great depression. That was when he wasn't busy telling us where the US and France had kicked out Hezbollah .

We could have gotten "scary", but instead we got "horrendous nightmare".
( Last edited by stupendousman; Nov 6, 2008 at 10:06 AM. )

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
Sounds as though that may have been the *only* reason she was nominated.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

-t
Personally, I would have preferred to see McCain as President rather than Obama, so I find it disappointing that he chose Palin as his running mate. As such, I'm interested in knowing as much as possible about *why* he chose her and would like her supporters to see how unqualified she truly was for the job so they can understand why McCain lost the election.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Personally, I would have preferred to see McCain as President rather than Obama, so I find it disappointing that he chose Palin as his running mate. As such, I'm interested in knowing as much as possible about *why* he chose her and would like her supporters to see how unqualified she truly was for the job so they can understand why McCain lost the election.
If you think that McCain lost because of Palin, I'll have one of whatever you are having. That's gotta be some good stuff!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2008, 10:17 AM

-t
Pot, meet kettle.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
If you think that McCain lost because of Palin, I'll have one of whatever you are having. That's gotta be some good stuff!

Isn't it McCain's people (at least a cadre of them) who are saying this?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
This is interesting.

My favorite: "the sight of a black man dancing with a lesbian was deemed too provocative."

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
My favorite: "the sight of a black man dancing with a lesbian was deemed too provocative."
You're talking about a country that pulled an NFL ad featuring a black player being seduced by a white cheerleader. I'm not surprised.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 10:36 AM

Someone mention lesbians and cheerleaders? yeah.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
You're talking about a country that pulled an NFL ad featuring a black player being seduced by a white cheerleader. I'm not surprised.
I know. There are just so many levels of incongruity since he's straight and she's a lesbian, and since I would be hard pressed to find anyone who considers Ellen's dancing "provocative."

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi View Post
Dude, we're sorry you never got laid in high school, but get over it. She's governor of the largest state in the U.S. Obviously she's got something going for her.

The election is over and you won. If you can't be happy then, like Turtle said, at least be quiet.
Or you could say that she was the Governor of the 47th largest state population wise.

It doesn't matter. Sarah Palin is irrelevant now. She may have very well cost the Republican's the election too. But hey, keep on defending her. I'm sure she'll do great in 2012.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 11:21 AM

I know several lukewarm McCain supporters who switched because of Palin. She appeals to the lunatic fringe radical right, but not people with more moderate or libertarian views.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
This one was waaaaay better:

"At the GOP convention in St. Paul, Palin was completely unfazed by the boys' club fraternity she had just joined. One night, Steve Schmidt and Mark Salter went to her hotel room to brief her. After a minute, Palin sailed into the room wearing nothing but a towel, with another on her wet hair. She told them to chat with her laconic husband, Todd. "I'll be just a minute," she said."

"they went to her hotel room to 'brief' her" sounds so deliciously skanky... ok I'll stop now

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2008, 12:42 PM

-t
Are you Elizabeth Hasselbeck?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 12:49 PM

I agree. McCain didn't lose because of Palin. However, Palin removed any chance at all for McCain of winning.

McCain was already at a disadvantage before he chose Palin. Palin was the Hail Mary choice (in more ways than one), which not only failed, but also ultimately made things much worse.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 12:57 PM

Until any of this stuff is really verified, this stuff isn't even worth talking about.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 6, 2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
"they went to her hotel room to 'brief' her" sounds so deliciously skanky... ok I'll stop now
And after that she de-briefed them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Until any of this stuff is really verified, this stuff isn't even worth talking about.
Unfortunately, we're probably gonna see more inane threads about an election that is done and over with.

McCain and Palin lost, for a reason.

But to keep going back and bringing up the same stupid sh!t over and over again is just retarded.

-t

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Anonymous staffers is likely the most we'll get. The last staffer to leak some of this info got fired by the McCain camp very quietly (which I would take as verification), but I'm sure if any names came out they'd be blacklisted from working political campaigns.

Newsweek has been writing an interesting series of stories on the background of the campaigns. If we're lucky, we might see more information there. That is generally well sourced information.

deedar
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2008, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
This is all that really needs to be said...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 01:29 PM

What do *you* think was the cause for McCain to lose? He didn't adopt Palin's campaign tactics? He wasn't *far* enough to the right? Or, perhaps the vast Liberal Media conspiracy?

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 01:31 PM

Dude, we're sorry you never got laid in high school, but get over it.
Hey! It's the first ever personal attack against me in the political lounge! I must truly be getting somewhere.

She's governor of the largest state in the U.S. Obviously she's got something going for her.
I wasn't aware land had voting rights in Alaska.

There are a lot of mayors in the US who govern a lot more people than she does. The mayor of Detroit was not a smart cookie either.

I'm sorry you're personally offended by this thread. It was not my intention. If you want, we can have a moratorium on all political lounge threads. When the election starts up in 2012, we can reopen the forum.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 01:33 PM

Unfortunately, we're probably gonna see more inane threads about an election that is done and over with.

McCain and Palin lost, for a reason.

But to keep going back and bringing up the same stupid sh!t over and over again is just retarded.

-t
I just want the Republican party to learn from this, if for no other reason than to shut up the extreme-right-wing wackos in Canada who regurgitate the talking points they pick up from the extreme-right-wing wackos in the US.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
She appeals to the lunatic fringe radical right, but not people with more moderate or libertarian views.
And Obama does!?!?

OH..YEAH, that's right...Obama and the media assured that all that stuff in Obama's past that showed him to be a hard left liberal wasn't really true - he was a changed moderate man! Sarah on the other hand wasn't hiding her stands on the issues with couching statements about what she personally felt about the issue (while hiding from what they'd actually do in office regarding the issue).

Sarah was pro-life. She wasn't "personally" against abortion, but when pressed would force a litmus test on judges to make sure they kept abortion rights.

Sarah was pro-oil drilling. She wasn't just considering it, or suggesting that maybe we could drill, and that she wasn't opposed to looking at the option.

Sarah was pro gun. She wasn't telling voters that she'd never think of taking away a person's guns (....as long as they weren't handguns, weapons that looked scary, and where just used for hunting).

Yeah...that Palin. Some radical fringe kook!

I know probably as many people who decided to go vote for McCain because of Palin as those whose only reason not to vote for McCain was Palin. It was likely a wash. I don't really think you're going to find any real evidence to the contrary besides the claims of out of touch partisans.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 01:37 PM

I know probably as many people who decided to go vote for McCain because of Palin as those whose only reason not to vote for McCain was Palin. It was likely a wash. I don't really think you're going to find any real evidence to the contrary besides the claims of out of touch partisans.
For those who decided to vote for McCain because of Palin, are you saying they would have voted for Obama otherwise? Or, are you saying they just wouldn't have voted at all?

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2008, 01:43 PM

And Obama does!?!?
I saw the same. On one hand, I didnt care for Palin and her selection made me vote for Obama, while many social conservatives I know werent planning on voting until Palin was selected as the VP choice. My question to them was if Mike Huckabee would have been a better choice as VP... who knows.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2008, 01:44 PM

For those who decided to vote for McCain because of Palin, are you saying they would have voted for Obama otherwise? Or, are you saying they just wouldn't have voted at all?
Or perhaps, voting for McCain was more palatable with Palin as a running mate to conservatives. To many, McCain was/is not consevative enough. Palin was/is.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
Or perhaps, voting for McCain was more palatable with Palin as a running mate to conservatives. To many, McCain was/is not consevative enough. Palin was/is.
Exactly. Chuckit and I are talking about people who switched from McCain to Obama as a result of Palin.
I suspect stupendousman is talking about people who switched from "not-gonna-vote" to McCain as a result from Palin. If so, there is a vast difference; in the first case, we have votes going from McCain to his opponent; in the second case we have votes going from nowhere to McCain, with his opponent losing none, making it hardly a "wash".

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 01:53 PM

I guess it comes down to, do you think the Palin nomination garnered McCain more conservative votes than it cost him moderate ones?

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2008, 02:00 PM

So this is the 'change' we've been hearing about? For eight years I've heard how Democrats would do things differntly, and just two days after the election all I see is finger pointing and bitterness. Nice.

To be fair, I know there are people who supported Obama because they believed in the cause. But there are others -- some in this thread -- who supported Obama because they like to jump on the bandwagon. You can tell the difference because those people who really have the interests of the country at heart have already put the campaign behind them and are ready to move forward and show the world what they can do.

The coattail riders, on the other hand, are more concerned with false sense of popularity they get from bashing the other side. Someone please tell them the party is over and there is work to be done.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
I can't really believe that she didn't know Africa was a continent.
Bush thought it was a country.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 02:08 PM

I guess it comes down to, do you think the Palin nomination garnered McCain more conservative votes than it cost him moderate ones?
And, that each moderate vote lost would likely have cost more than each conservative vote gained (since it's likely that the moderate vote would have gone to his opponent while the conservative vote would likely have come from nowhere, not costing his opponent anything)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 02:36 PM

Actually, it would come down to whether it won McCain more than twice as many conservative votes as the moderate votes he lost, because otherwise he was standing in place while Obama gained voters.

And that's really unlikely, because I doubt people that rabidly conservative are going to just not vote for anyone, and there was nobody better for them than McCain running.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
nd that's really unlikely, because I doubt people that rabidly conservative are going to just not vote for anyone, and there was nobody better for them than McCain running.
I think we agree on this. I don't think there's any way that the apathetic conservative non-voters outnumbered those that would vote solely against Obama.
( Last edited by Dakar V; Nov 6, 2008 at 02:44 PM. )

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2008, 02:43 PM

What I think is funny about his whole mess with Palin... Listening to some radio this morning with people talking about how McCain is ordering his aides to attack Palin now and leak this stuff.

Seriously? The whole campaign McCain is this honorable great man and now some of his supporters are saying that he is ordering these attacks? Isn't it possible that she really is crazy?
AXP
ΔΣΦ

tie
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2008, 03:57 PM

Well, who really knows? Palin left herself open to this kind of sniping when she refused to give press conferences and interviews.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 04:41 PM

What do *you* think was the cause for McCain to lose? He didn't adopt Palin's campaign tactics? He wasn't *far* enough to the right? Or, perhaps the vast Liberal Media conspiracy?
Palin had nothing to do with McCain's loss. It's a miracle he got 48%
Mcain was ahead until Fannie and Freddie imploded, some think by design, because BO was not going to win using Iraq/Afganistan. McCain took Rev, Wright off the table for fear of being labeled a racist.
45/47

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 05:05 PM

So this is the 'change' we've been hearing about? For eight years I've heard how Democrats would do things differntly, and just two days after the election all I see is finger pointing and bitterness. Nice.
It takes a special kind of partisan to blame something that the McCain campaign is doing on Obama...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Palin had nothing to do with McCain's loss. It's a miracle he got 48%
Mcain was ahead until Fannie and Freddie imploded, some think by design, because BO was not going to win using Iraq/Afganistan. McCain took Rev, Wright off the table for fear of being labeled a racist.
He didn't get 48%, he got 46%.

Forum Links
Forum Rules