Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Specifics come out on Palin's lack of knowledge

Specifics come out on Palin's lack of knowledge (Page 4)
stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
Sorry, I didn't see any extended quotes or transcript at the link you posted, just a few soundbites. Can you give a direct link?
It was a link where she was talking intelligently about a major issue. You shouldn't have to have a 20 page transcript to be able to decipher where someone stands on an issue. A good communicator can do it in a few sentences. We'll go back to the Reagan example for proof of that. Again, you're using a phony standard. I'd rather have someone speak a paragraph or two about what they know, and be correct, then someone speak for twenty minutes and get a lot right but show their true lack of intelligence by saying things that are simply outright false or shows ignorance. That's Biden's problem.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
It was a link where she was talking intelligently about a major issue. You shouldn't have to have a 20 page transcript to be able to decipher where someone stands on an issue. A good communicator can do it in a few sentences. We'll go back to the Reagan example for proof of that. Again, you're using a phony standard. I'd rather have someone speak a paragraph or two about what they know, and be correct, then someone speak for twenty minutes and get a lot right but show their true lack of intelligence by saying things that are simply outright false or shows ignorance. That's Biden's problem.
So, in other words, you can't answer the questions about *what* you specifically found interesting or intelligent from that link?

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
So, in other words, you can't answer the questions about *what* you specifically found interesting or intelligent from that link?
Pretty much all of it. From her stance that we shouldn't just be handing cash to people who have shown extremely poor management decisions in the first place, to her idea that maybe this was an area Governors (who typically are less partisan for party and more partisan for the people of their state) could somehow provide a leadership role in fixing the problem.

Again, I think you are confusing intelligence with wonkiness the warm fog of gassbaggery. We'll leave that to Joe.

linger
Baninated
Nov 14, 2008, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
<snip>
I'll just agree to not agree or something. I voted for Obama. I just didn't drink the kool-aid™

BTW I knew about Palin way before the election. I got respect from her when she sold that lear jet that she didn't really need on Ebay to cut the pork. Not to mention a few other things. She's had a good start. I didn't think Obama and Biden attacking her for her lack of experience was too smart though. I am glad they stopped that when they did. As Obama has as little as she does.

The only person there with Experience is really Biden and McCain. The first I am not a huge fan of, and the latter is getting in his years. I'd rather have seen an Obama/McCain ticket.

Having said that, Palin has a loooong political career ahead of her.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2008, 10:08 AM

Hey guess what? That thing about Palin not knowing Africa is a continent? Turns out it's not true! Imagine, an unconfirmed quote from an unidentifiable source turns out to be *gasp* a lie!

Meanwhile actual insight, like this article in U.S. News & World Report, support the idea that Palin is not the buffoon the pro-Obama zelots wanted her to be. In fact, the author alludes to the fact that her real achievements are still getting buried in the media. "...Fortunately, a pipeline is in the works. But it is not until the final paragraph of the story in today's Washington Post that we learn that this would be the pipeline now scheduled to be built because of the foresight and diligence and negotiating skills of Alaska's governor—Sarah Palin."

And no, I don't expect the people here who want to believe Palin is an idiot and Biden is competent to suddenly change their minds. I just wish the people who supposedly were pushing for 'change' would prove it by getting off partisan bashing and start moving forward.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2008, 10:08 AM

Pretty much all of it. From her stance that we shouldn't just be handing cash to people who have shown extremely poor management decisions in the first place
This is something that a lot of people, both conservative and liberal, have been saying since the day that the bailout was proposed. It's nothing new.

to her idea that maybe this was an area Governors (who typically are less partisan for party and more partisan for the people of their state) could somehow provide a leadership role in fixing the problem.
"somehow", huh? What would be *really* interesting is if she actually had any ideas on *how* the Governors could provide a leadership role in fixing the problem.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2008, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi View Post
I just wish the people who supposedly were pushing for 'change' would prove it by getting off partisan bashing and start moving forward.
You mean like how Republicans moved on from Clinton-bashing?

linger
Baninated
Nov 14, 2008, 10:18 AM

You mean like how Republicans moved on from Clinton-bashing?
Well by saying "the other guy does it too" doesn't really make it right. We really need if we are supposed to be BETTER than them, to show and act as such. And not stoop down to partisan bickering.

No?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2008, 10:18 AM

Hey guess what? That thing about Palin not knowing Africa is a continent? Turns out it's not true! Imagine, an unconfirmed quote from an unidentifiable source turns out to be *gasp* a lie!
If you read the article, rather than the headline, it states that MSNBC's theory about the *source* of the comment was incorrect. Saying that MSNBC's theory is incorrect about the source of a comment reported by Fox doesn't say that Fox's reporting of the comment was incorrect; it only says that MSNBC couldn't correctly guess who said it to Fox.

linger
Baninated
Nov 14, 2008, 12:14 PM

And no, I don't expect the people here who want to believe Palin is an idiot and Biden is competent to suddenly change their minds. I just wish the people who supposedly were pushing for 'change' would prove it by getting off partisan bashing and start moving forward.
BINGO! That's what I am talking about. And yes, SHAME on the media for acting the way they did. I am glad Obama won over McCain but I am NOT HAPPY with the way the media acted. I remember when Palin was first announced. The first 6 things they accused her of weren't even true. No apologies, no nothing. What happened to journalistic integrity?

Or why was it never mentioned that Biden wrote most of the Patriot Act? Or even that he was inspiration for "That's that Ticket" Tommy flannigan the pathological liar character that John Lovitz invented?

But seriously, if they attacked Obama and Biden the way they did Palin, it would have been a closer race. Obama sitll would have won. It would just have been a win that had a clearer conscience.

andi*pandi
Nov 14, 2008, 01:30 PM

Pie, the debunk was posted on the last page.

Apologies to Palin for repeating the rumor, but I still don't like her.

and fyi, the SNL skits have not been kind to Biden either. In the debate they harped on Scranton, and they mocked his philly speech etc.

linger
Baninated
Nov 14, 2008, 03:23 PM

They also blamed this horrible economy on Clinton. Like Alec Baldwin did on Letterman.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2008, 11:52 AM

If you read the article, rather than the headline, it states that MSNBC's theory about the *source* of the comment was incorrect.
Actually, if you had read the whole article, you'd see that they're saying since no one can identify the source, they believe the whole thing was made up "The Africa-is-a-country-not-a-continent story isn't very believable, no matter who the source." But you'd rather believe what most of the world regards as not very believable because you want to continue hating.

Look, I didn't vote for the guy because I don't think he can pull off everything he promised, but I know he won't be able to if:

a) the sore-losers of the world spend the next four trying to bring him down and
b) the sore-winners spend the next four years focusing on how much they hate Republicans

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2008, 12:17 PM

Actually, if you had read the whole article, you'd see that they're saying since no one can identify the source, they believe the whole thing was made up
It's pretty flimsy to conclude that a story is false based only on being unable to identify the source. Of course, you also can't conclude that it's true, either.

On the other hand, you aren't suggesting that Fox News made the story up, are you?

tie
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2008, 02:35 PM

This is complete nonsense. But since you were unable to find a full paragraph from Palin, I've gone ahead and found one for you. I give you Palin on Darfur:

My concern has been the atrocities there in Darfur and the relevance to me with that issue as we spoke about Africa and some of the countries there that were kind of the people succumbing to the dictators and the corruption of some collapsed governments on the continent, the relevance was Alaska’s investment in Darfur with some of our permanent fund dollars.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules