Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Chet Baker

Chet Baker
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2008, 01:46 AM

Any Chet Baker fans here?

He's fresh on my mind since I just watched the 1988 documentary "Let's Get Lost", which I believe won an Oscar.

His music may not be your cup of tea, and that's cool, but I think it's easy to appreciate his talent especially knowing a little bit about how messed up his life was. I remember Chet was one of the first jazz musicians I grew to like, his music is very accessible yet there is a real haunting and timeless beauty to it. Here's a clip of Chet, if you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0ZBa...eature=related

Not everybody is into the sound of his voice, but most jazz vocalists will say that he has impeccable phrasing, time, personality, and great story telling ability as a vocalist. As a trumpet player Chet also did very well playing on dentures for a good part of his life after being beaten up for not paying for his drugs (he was found dead in 1988 having fallen out of a hotel window high on both Coke and Heroin).

Chet had several marriages, and was apparently kind an attractive man in his day which also made him a movie star. Even in the 1980s when he was in his 50s, it is astonishing to see how incredibly old and beaten up years of drugs made him look - you would think he's in his 70s looking at some of his pictures.

Here's Chet in his later years:

early years:

What I personally find amazing about his music is that his trumpet playing and singing are identical - this is actually quite hard to do. People who knew him said that he never practiced, didn't own a piano, had no academic knowledge or training, and that music always just came incredibly easy to him compared to his peers. Again, there may be things about his playing you don't like, but if you were to listen to enough of his stuff to get a sense of his overall musicality, it is actually pretty cool how naturally easy simple, powerful melodies sort of emanate from him - for example his solo after his singing in this Youtube clip. He just makes it seem so easy

He was truly a gifted musician that had a life of both great success and fame, as well as profound tragedy and sadness. If you like watching documentaries, I recommend checking out "Let's Get Lost", I enjoyed it and watched it with some friends who knew little about jazz that also enjoyed it.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2008, 02:08 AM

I just watched the (adorable!) movie The Band's Visit, and one repeat line is "do you like Chet Baker?" An emotional turning point in the film is when one character -- the taciturn, stiffly formal leader -- answers, "Actually, I like Chet Baker -- I have all his albums, from 1964's blah blah blah, to the blah blah blah."

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2008, 02:20 AM

Yeah, I've heard about the Band's Visit, that's also in my queue of stuff to watch... Good flick Mithras?

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2008, 02:52 AM

Big fan of Chet Baker for both his trumpeting skills and that incredible voice he had. His album My Funny Valentine is a classic. Another really hip album has Chet Baker and Charlie Parker playing together in 1952. If you can pick up Live at the Trade Winds, June 16, 1952, you won't regret it.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2008, 12:51 PM

I am a huge Chet fan.... my Girlfriend bought me the quad poster (enormous ones from the cinema) for Lets Get Lost for my birthday this year.

The first album I heard of his was 'It Could Happen To You' and his vocal solos (i dont like the term scat for what Chet does... he is far too lyrical) are just sublime!! As a professional musician (trombonist) I have leant all of his solos from most of his albums, in the hope that some of his melodic genius will rub off.

My personal Chet favourite is from his trio album 'A Touch of Your Lips' its the second track entitled 'But not for me' (not to be confused with the slow version of the tune on 'Chet Baker Sings'), it really is Chet at his best.... its on fire!!

I could go on and on... but wont.... if you want to find out more about Chet just listen to his albums... if your not moved by his singing and playing, then you have no soul!

Rich
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2008, 02:23 PM

Wow, you caught me off guard richwig

I've been absolutely unable to get Chet's solo on But Not for Me out of my head within the last couple of days. I haven't heard the one from Touch of your Lips yet, I'm referring to the one on his Sings album (and one that probably is on several compilation albums too), this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_f_mMJAezM . Chet says in his documentary that he has over 900 recordings (I'm assuming he means songs and not albums), so there are probably many versions of his popular tunes, including But Not for Me, so this version is probably one of several out there...

I'm a jazz trumpet player myself Rich. I was on the track to becoming a professional, going to music schools, taking private lessons, the whole nine yards - I was pretty intense and still am. However, I decided for a change in career, so I'm mostly playing for fun now. I guess that doesn't qualify me as a professional, but then again if we're defining professional musicians as those who make 100% of their income in music (whether teaching or performing), that list is probably much smaller than we think!

Anyway, my point is that I've lifted many Chet solos too... He's a hero to many, and I'm just starting to realize how well known he actually is/was!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2008, 02:36 PM

The other neat thing about Chet to me is that I literally have not heard a bad recording of him. He was the prince of good taste! This might be because when he couldn't play his trumpet (such as when he lost his real teeth and had to relearn how to play) he would sing more, but even then the pieces he chose and his performance of those pieces always seemed to be completely tasteful and comfortable for him. It's hard to imagine him sounding anything but tasteful, he was the sort of player that just seemed to be an infinite well of good music.

Again, I know that jazz in general and/or Chet's playing in particular may not be to everybody's tastes, but I think it is easy to appreciate his talents regardless. Besides, who is never in the mood for music that is a little more romantic, melancholy, or just simply melodic from time to time? Chet works out perfectly for whenever I'm in the mood for something I find simply beautiful.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 2, 2008, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
the 1988 documentary "Let's Get Lost", which I believe won an Oscar.
Nope.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2008, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Nope.
And that is the most intelligent response you could conjure up???

It was nominated but didn't win an Oscar... that isn't the point of this thread

besson3c PM me your email address.... i have a Christmas present to send you!!!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 2, 2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
What more needed to be said?

richwig83
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
What more needed to be said?
( Last edited by richwig83; Dec 2, 2008 at 08:50 PM. )

richwig83
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2008, 08:52 PM

Chet baker is my idol.... don't post in this thread if you have nothing constructive to say!!

Railroader
Banned
Dec 3, 2008, 12:49 AM

It was nominated but didn't win an Oscar... that isn't the point of this thread

besson3c PM me your email address.... i have a Christmas present to send you!!!
no.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 01:15 AM

Chet baker is my idol.... don't post in this thread if you have nothing constructive to say!!
Oh geeze, man, you get offended on teh intarwebs ? OMGWTFBBQ!!1!1oneoneeleventy

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 02:03 AM

Do you like Chet Baker good buddy turtle777, and if not, I hope you have a good defense for yourself that won't jeopardize our eternal bond?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 02:14 AM

I don't even know Chet Baker. I might like him, I don't know. But if Rich was serious with his reply, I can only say WTF...

-t

richwig83
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2008, 03:29 AM

Ahh sorry, that wasn't meant to come across like that guys, I don't get offended that easily!!

Sorry guys :-)

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I don't even know Chet Baker. I might like him, I don't know. But if Rich was serious with his reply, I can only say WTF...

-t
Well, you can get some idea of him via the two YouTube clips posted to this thread... I'd go for the second one first actually, I like it a little more.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2008, 09:10 PM

I love that movie. I have a VHS copy with Japanese subtitles because that's the only that was one available years ago. Has it been released on DVD?

I had just gotten to Europe (Germany) when I read about his death in the International Herald Tribune. I went to a memorial concert at a little jazz club called the See-Kuh. I can't listen to "You Don't Know What Love Is" without being transported back in time.

Chet Baker is one of my favorite musicians. Such a unique voice. Such an incredible, and ultimately sad, life.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2008, 09:51 PM

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2008, 01:54 AM

Do you guys have any critiques of the documentary?

One of my mentors in school knew Charlie Parker, and thought that the movie Bird portrayed him a little too much as a constantly sad individual. It was a downer movie (although I haven't seen it in years), and my mentor felt that Bird had many happy moments in his life that weren't really expressed in the documentary. I couldn't help wondering if Let's Get Lost was the same - only portraying the sad parts of Chet's life for the purpose of more interesting video journalism. Did any of you wonder the same thing?

I also thought that the documentary really emphasized Chet the singer more than Chet the trumpet player, and I know my perceptions are slanted, but I always thought of him as a trumpet player first, singer second... Any agreement there?

It was also interesting hear Chet's former wives speak about him, and each other

Forum Links
Forum Rules