Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dredd

Dredd
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2012, 11:55 AM

What an awesome film. So much more like it than the last effort.

I actually thought they did a great job with big parts of the original version. It looked fantastic but the cast was wrong, the story was wrong and the details were wrong wrong wrong (helmet removal, flying Lawmasters and kissing Hershey). It also tried to squeeze too much into one movie, a common mistake of comic book adaptations.

This new one is much closer to how a Dredd film should be. Urban is great. I had one or two slight reservations but he worked very well. Olivia Thirlby was also excellent as well as lovely. They changed one or two details from the comics, but these were mostly minor and inconsequential (which makes me wonder why they bothered to change them but there you are). All in all this was pretty close to the comics in most respects. There were one or two things I would have done differently. If it had been up to me there was one particular story from the comics I would have used as the basis for the script but this one turned out much better than I expected.

On top of this, the makers of Dredd have given us a good old fashioned 18 (or R) rated action movie like we used to get in the 80s instead of something toned down to get kids into theatres in the hope of earning more cash. Its gory like nothing I've seen in ages. Glorious. They also did a great job with the 3D. Actually I think one of the plot points was a gimmick put in to help with the use of 3D but it worked.

Anyway, recommended to anyone who liked proper SF/Action movies like they used to make and if you were a fan of the JD comics, you ought to be well pleased too. I hope it makes enough money that they make the two planned sequels and with luck convert some more of the 2000AD stable to the big screen. I'd love to see a movie of Armoured Gideon.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2012, 02:25 AM

Ditto
Absolutely as good as it could have been. They really worked the budget and the Johannesburg setting worked well. The use of contemporary cars/settings just worked to make the word more believable rather than the stage sets used in the original. Teh Big Meg wide shots were really really nice.

It was obvious that all involved loved and respected the source material, loads of little background call outs for the comic fans. Loved that they went fully 18 (R) as I suspect that's where the real Dredd audience is.

Urban was great.

Lets see what they do next. Cursed Earth maybe in a Mad Max style.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2012, 02:28 AM

I know the Dark Judges are in mind for the third one....
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2012, 02:44 AM

Yeah I heard. Not sure how that level of weirdness plays against the gritty realism they have introduced in the film.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2012, 06:30 AM

There was a classic story in the comics called The Graveyard Shift which was just a very detailed account of a fairly typical night on the beat for a Mega-City Judge. I always thought it would make a fantastic basis for a JD movie. Dredd is unusual in that he doesn't need an origin story, just an introduction to who he is and what he does.

Did you catch the reference to the original movie near the beginning?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2012, 12:00 PM

Not necessarily a call back to the first movie. Fergie was a character from the "Day the Law Died" story around issue 90-110. And a better character than the faux comic relief in the Stallone flick he was too.

Did you catch the Chopper graffiti, and the Kenny Who? tag?

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2012, 09:04 AM

http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/2012/09/so-you-need-to-go-see-dredd-asap/

Seriously guys, get your money out, tell your friends to do the same. I need them to earn enough to make the sequel!

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2012, 11:40 AM

Ok ok, I'll go, geez!

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2012, 03:37 PM

Saw it today. Now that was a pretty damn good Judge Dredd movie. And I really dug the Snuff Box shoutout, too.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2012, 08:26 AM

You know what they should have done? You should have had the opportunity to but a replica judge helmet with built in 3D polaroid lenses to watch the movie. They should have been on sale outside 3D screenings.

That would have been awesome.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2012, 03:41 AM

Lady-friendly ultra violence.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/culture/2012/10/why-dredd-3d-gets-women-comics-right

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2012, 10:56 AM

Actually, I thought I might be a bit disappointed by this Judge Dredd movie, since I thought Sylvester Stallone made a good Judge Dredd - big, imposing, low voice, doesn't talk much. But this Judge Dredd movie was good, and the actor did a good job of playing Judge Dredd. I liked the malfunctioning flying Lawmasters of the first movie, though. I haven't seen the comics, though...
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

finboy
Oct 10, 2012, 11:21 AM

Did I write in yet? Can't remember.

We went to see this and it wasn't bad at all. Urban did a good job, everyone did. The 3D was eye candy, not like almost all of the other 3D movies I've seen where it was distracting. I hope they'll do another 2 or 3, it would be worthwhile. It was my wife's idea to go see it, and she's not a Dredd fan - she liked it.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2012, 11:39 AM

I'm glad you both enjoyed it. Tell your friends, if it makes enough money they'll make a couple more!

@Leonard: The original movie looked fantastic but to those of us who know the source material, it failed on a lot of levels. Dredd is a tough guy, but he's smart too. Stallone is smarter than he looks, but he doesn't look all that smart. Also he is a little short for Dredd. Dredd's creators had Clint Eastwood in mind when they created him in the late 70s.

The new one is so much more faithful to the comic. Helmet stays on, no love interest, as it should be. The biggest variations were actually more death sentences and that the city looked quite different. In the comic, its all crammed together and there are lots of roads and trains running between buildings high off the ground. In the comics I don't think many people were ever actually sentenced to death, there was just no qualms shooting them dead for resisting or running.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2012, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Dredd is a tough guy, but he's smart too. Stallone is smarter than he looks, but he doesn't look all that smart.
Yeah I can't disagree with that.

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Also he is a little short for Dredd. Dredd's creators had Clint Eastwood in mind when they created him in the late 70s.
Geez, for some reason I thought Stallone was taller. He's only 5'10"! I though he was over 6'. Must of been the lifts. Apparently he wore lifts in a couple of movies.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules