Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Can't erase songs from iPod touch - and my car says that there are songs from U2 t...

Can't erase songs from iPod touch - and my car says that there are songs from U2 t...
Ham Sandwich
Dec 20, 2014, 01:32 PM

Can't erase songs from iPod touch - and my car plays songs on my iPod from U2 which I never downloaded

Greetings!

(1) Why can't I permanently delete these items from my iPod Touch? Every time I click on one of the grayed out items, and then press "Delete," nothing happens. But when I plug my iPod into my car, then my car sees these songs and starts playing them How do I completely get rid of them?

(2) Also, why does my car tell me that there are two songs from U2 that are on my iPod, yet I never downloaded these songs? Even more bizarre, these songs do not appear anywhere on my iPod in any of my music lists, so how did they get on there, why are they there, and how do I locate them and get them off?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2014, 03:07 PM

Are you syncing the iPod, or do you have "manually manage music and movies" switched on?

The U2 album was a gift that was downloaded automatically. It's not in any of the playlists. Do you find it under "Artists"?

Ham Sandwich
Dec 20, 2014, 06:22 PM

I have: Sync Music: Entire music library checkboxed. I tried the other options and that didn't make a difference.

I see the U2 album in my iPod Touch under Artists. It's not in my iTunes.

So, how do I get rid of all these?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2014, 06:52 PM

Drag across the songs from right to left and delete.

As for not being able to delete individual songs from the iPod from within iTunes:

"Sync entire library" means sync entire library.

If you set it to manual and then re-sync, you will be able to add/delete songs to/from the iPod at will.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 20, 2014, 07:39 PM

That didn't work.

I set it to manual, then re-synced to get this:

then when I clicked on the songs, I couldn't drag them. I would press the cursor down over any of these songs, but they wouldn't drag anywhere.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 22, 2014, 03:57 PM

Alright so I found the link to get rid of the U2 songs:

https://buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObje...wa/offerOptOut

Which remains:

How do I delete these extra songs that are on my iPod but are not in my iTunes library? I think these songs are all downloaded from iTunes, but I don't want them on my iPod if I removed them from my iTunes library, and I don't want to just turn off my iCloud.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2014, 04:04 PM

To hide the songs that are available in the cloud but not actually on the iPod, on the iPod itself, go into —> Settings —> Music —> "Show all music" and turn that off.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 22, 2014, 05:01 PM

I already did that. My iPod, in the Songs list, still shows those extra songs that are not in my iTunes library, and swiping right to left on the title doesn't do anything to those particular songs. There's no "Delete" or anything, it's like, nothing happens.
What other things could I try to do?

FireWire
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2014, 05:23 PM

Nobody understands the cloud! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27GgP6BXR6A

Ham Sandwich
Dec 23, 2014, 07:58 PM

That did not answer my question.

Can someone else help me or should I just ask my question on Discussions/Apple?
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Dec 27, 2014 at 12:04 PM. )

phishphan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2014, 09:54 PM

This has been happening to me for almost a year now. First it was my iPhone 5 and it still is happening on my iPhone 6. When I view all of the files on my phone in iTunes I have about 10 songs that are greyed out. I manually manage all of my music. When I use Music on my iPhone there are no songs at all that show up. I did mention it to a Apple store employee who quickly checked with a genius but that didn't know anything about it. Some of the songs were free through the Starbucks app, but now all of them. I would be very happy to figure this out.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 PM

Well I continued this discussion on Discussions/Apple:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/27359790#27359790

Just as I feared, it took more than a factory restore to get those few songs off.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2014, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
To hide the songs that are available in the cloud but not actually on the iPod, on the iPod itself, go into —> Settings —> Music —> "Show all music" and turn that off.
Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
I already did that. My iPod, in the Songs list, still shows those extra songs that are not in my iTunes library, and swiping right to left on the title doesn't do anything to those particular songs. There's no "Delete" or anything, it's like, nothing happens.
What other things could I try to do?
So, you did a factory reset, and then turned off "show all music" worked? Whereas it didn't work before?

Ham Sandwich
Dec 28, 2014, 07:44 PM

Correct. Those songs still showed up even after turning off "show all music" before the factory reset.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2014, 09:59 AM

To recap, the songs are only on your iPod Touch, you've done a factory reset, AND you've deselected "Show All Music." The songs aren't shown anywhere else, right? Have you tried manually removing the songs from the iPod since you did the reset? Have you tried the manual sync since all of this?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ham Sandwich
Dec 29, 2014, 10:21 AM

The songs were on my iPod touch. They used to be on my iTunes before as well but I asked to remove them each anywhere between a few weeks ago and a few months ago. I tried manual syncing as well, but that was before the reset, not after, and manual sync didn't get rid of those songs. I know that they would have just played if I hooked my iPod back up to my car it would have found them somewhere on my iPod and started playing them again, and my car does not store any music. But I checked, after the factory reset and Show All Music Off again, my car this time did not find those songs, finally. So finally I can use Sync All Music in iTunes like normal again so only those songs in my library are synced like it's supposed to do.

I'm just concerned that if I add and delete a bunch of downloaded songs again from iTunes in the future that a few stubborn songs will remain on my iPod, as you read happened to me, and that I won't know it until they start playing in my car after I swore that I got them off my iTunes library, and then will need to go through another half-days' worth of random troubleshooting to get them off.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2014, 03:36 PM

I think it's weird that you car knows they're there, but it looks like you've gotten things sorted out - at least for now.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules