Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Job Hunting from out of state

Job Hunting from out of state
godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 12:19 AM

So I've been feeling that I want to make a move from old B'more and am trying to find a remotely successful way of job hunting from out of state. I've tried before, just cold sending mailers to studios I like, calling, emailing, doing the online bit, and its just never felt like its been working. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how one would go about it? Any success stories?

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
So I've been feeling that I want to make a move from old B'more and am trying to find a remotely successful way of job hunting from out of state. I've tried before, just cold sending mailers to studios I like, calling, emailing, doing the online bit, and its just never felt like its been working. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how one would go about it? Any success stories?
Have you tried creativehotlist.com? We just recently posted an opening for a mid-level graphic designer and received 80 responses. Responses that were within state or in our tri-state area we took more seriously, but there was a gal from California who was looking to move back to Minnesota who we interviewed. She is now 1 of 4 final candidates for the position.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2003, 10:42 AM

dader's approach is valid, however, i would point out that being one of 80 respondents is not good odds. of course, that's the bummer of being in an industry that's so saturated and competitive.

a writer friend of mine was looking for a job. he had been using the age old search technique with a headhunter but had little success. one day he decided to forget the recruiters and start calling agency art directors he admired and chatting them up. once he gained their interest he would send them copies of his book and reel. since his work was great the art directors would happily carry it in to the creative director and asking to have the guy hired because they wanted to work with him.

this approach was smart because:

1. it got him a tireless advocate inside the agency.
2. it got him past the usual internal recruiter screening process.
3. it cut out external headhunters so the agency saved the fees asociated with using such resources
4. it kept him out of the usual headhunter cattle calls when fifty books show up for one position.

in the end my friend got multiple offers and that was during the last recession -- a time when agencies were laying people off rather than hiring.

andi*pandi
Jan 6, 2003, 10:56 AM

www.aquent.com

you can search by state. It sends you listings that match your criteria. pretty damn good. I also had good luck with monster, but instate.

aside from how to find listings, I've done the out of state search before and it sucked, mainly because you had to convince HR people and such that you were really willing to move. REALLY willling. I drove 3 hours for interviews and still was asked if I was willing to move. So you've got to state in your cover letter your reasons for picking that state (friends there, culture, whatever bulloney...) and then say you're willing to fly in for an interview, telephone conference call, fedex your portfolio, etc.

good luck. Art_director's approach is good too, but you have to have thick skin and an outstanding book, you will get rejected.

Forum Links
Forum Rules