Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > AIGA and its power.

AIGA and its power.
godzookie2k
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 07:40 PM

So I've been doing alot of thinking lately about the AIGA, and how little it has done for the field.

In times like these, shouldn't the main body of the designers/illustrators be doing more to help the field? I really can't fathom one thing that being an AIGA member has gotten me. Wee sure I get discounts on lectures, but shouldn't the AIGA be really trying to help its members?

Why isn't the AIGA stepping up as some kind of governing body to stop (*points at other thread*) underhanded business ventures from taking advantage of unemployed or desperate students?

Shouldn't the AIGA be doing something to weed the hacks from the pros by instituting some kind of Design/Illustration license?

Shouldn't the AIGA be doing something to stop businesses from underpaying their designers by instituting some kind of pricing scheme?

Shouldn't they be doing things like reporting unfair treatment of designers to someone like the department of labor?

Shouldn't the AIGA be picking up the ball as a pseudo-union representative of sorts to defend against us from the freefalling rates that employers are offering?

Shouldn't the AIGA be doing something to prevent things like unpaid internships and full time jobs that are being offered on the ground of no pay for like 30 days? (saw this in the paper a few weeks ago)

etc. etc.

I feel like the AIGA is just taking membership dues and....well I have no ****ing clue what the hell they are doing with them, but I just can't justify a membership anymore, like, why? I get nothing out of it. They are not doing anything to even justify their existence. What 'professional organization' that does jack **** for their profession that they represent?

Does anyone else feel this way?

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2003, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
So I've been doing alot of thinking lately about the AIGA, and how little it has done for the field.

In times like these, shouldn't the main body of the designers/illustrators be doing more to help the field? I really can't fathom one thing that being an AIGA member has gotten me. Wee sure I get discounts on lectures, but shouldn't the AIGA be really trying to help its members?

Why isn't the AIGA stepping up as some kind of governing body to stop (*points at other thread*) underhanded business ventures from taking advantage of unemployed or desperate students?

Shouldn't the AIGA be doing something to weed the hacks from the pros by instituting some kind of Design/Illustration license?

Shouldn't the AIGA be doing something to stop businesses from underpaying their designers by instituting some kind of pricing scheme?

Shouldn't they be doing things like reporting unfair treatment of designers to someone like the department of labor?

Shouldn't the AIGA be picking up the ball as a pseudo-union representative of sorts to defend against us from the freefalling rates that employers are offering?

Shouldn't the AIGA be doing something to prevent things like unpaid internships and full time jobs that are being offered on the ground of no pay for like 30 days? (saw this in the paper a few weeks ago)

etc. etc.

I feel like the AIGA is just taking membership dues and....well I have no ****ing clue what the hell they are doing with them, but I just can't justify a membership anymore, like, why? I get nothing out of it. They are not doing anything to even justify their existence. What 'professional organization' that does jack **** for their profession that they represent?

Does anyone else feel this way?
My guess would be that AIGA is not union or a guild but merely a professional organization. I think that those are valid points that you made, but I see the AIGA being more of a club rather than a governing body. I see the GAG doing more of those things you mentioned, than AIGA.

If the AIGA were to institute something like a Graphic Design/Illustration license, how would they implement it? Portfolio review? A test like the LSATs? Probably not a bad idea--then maybe more people would realize it takes more than computer skills to be a designer.

And while I thought about joining, I realize that the only reason I would be joining would be to put it on my resume and maybe attend a workshop or two. It doesn't justify it for me either.

Are the AIGA's membership fees yearly?

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 07:54 PM

I've considered joining up, but so far, as you've said, haven't seen the benefit there. One of my professors said its all great and whatnot, but I don't see the draw. Maybe if enough people drop out, they'll get a clue.

One of the main things seems to be the networking that you can get tied into. Has anyone gotten work as a result of their membershiop in the AIGA?

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Has anyone gotten work as a result of their membershiop in the AIGA?
Not as a result of membership, but the job banks are open to non-members as well.

godzookie2k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 08:11 PM

I'm not saying they *are* a governing body or similar organization, but they are in the best position to *be* that kind of organization. iirc, their membership is around double of GAGs and as such represent a much broader base of the industry population.

As for implementing/enforcing:

Price gouging could be implemented with letters to the BBB, to the Dept of Labor and to Congressmen. They could institute some kind of database where education of said database is proliferated through advertising. That database could contain a listing of every registered/licsensed designer and any 'blackmarks" on their record, perhaps even client reviews, etc. Said database could even include samples and keywords based on a designers' style. It would make searching for an employee or a designer that much easier for employers or designers. An average rate system for that designer based on their experience could be included too.

Design License:
Could easily be introduced by means of ad campaigns in major newspapers and magazines, website too educating clients on a new design license, and a test of technical knowledge as well as questions on ethics, etc. A designer could be listed in the database above with work samples, etc.

andi*pandi
May 2, 2003, 12:05 PM

I'm a member thru work. I get all the emails about events, lectures, etc, and they sound wonderful, but I can never go. Child you know. Plus they are always in downtown boston, where there is no parking, or after work, so you'd have to battle the traffic to get to them. I tried once. Really wanted to hear Matthew Carter talk. Circled for 1/2 hour looking for parking before giving up.

I get mailings too, some of which are neat, informative industry practice guides, some of which are nicely designed pieces promoting said lectures, and some of which are scarily "designed" by Famous Designer So and So, and are incredibly unreadable and uninformative, I wonder how Famous Designer does any business if she can't even communicate to her own kind.

their website also has good info and articles about design.

art_director
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 01:27 PM

i was a member when i was a student. stayed a member as a pro for a while when the agencies picked up the dues. never got much out of it. i mean, i can go to the seminars on my own but i pay a little more.

i fail to see the point.

ultra-V
May 16, 2003, 11:46 AM

Wow, people really seem to have a negative reaction to AIGA these days. There's a rather heated discussion going on over at Speak Up accusing AIGA of being "hijacked by no-talent, corporate drones" among other things.

Personally, I've been a member for years, paid for by employers, and am currently considering whether to renew on my own or not. I'm sure I personally haven't gotten my money's worth. But they do sponsor good lectures and conferences and act as a general resource to both the business and design communities (I found my accountant through a reference at the NY office). Someone's gotta do it. To ask any organization to take responsibility for falling prices and fraudulent business is a tall order, considering today's environment. They're not the government or the police.

As for a design licence, I fail to see how to quantify a feild like this, so based on subjective matters. Sure, you can test cetain skills (Certified Quark Kerning Master!) but that doesn't mean you'll do a good job for your clients. AIGA does have a Standards of Professional Practice they ask (but don't require) members to agree to that outlaws things like doing spec work.

I do think a central searchable database of designers with detailed info would be a great resource for businesses and the design community.

Forum Links
Forum Rules